Why do i need water?!

2»

Replies

• SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Ok, water is a lot discussed, and i have heard that you can burn more kcals if you drink more cold water. Some says "drink water!!" to they who suffer and never lose any weight.
    I have tried to drink water, but i really can't. I know it doesn't makes me fat, but anyhow my weight increases, which makes me so depressed, i can't take it. Therefore, i barely drink.

Will i lose weight faster if i drink more water ???

That "cold water burns more calories" trope gets thrown around a lot on here and it's WAY overplayed. Yes, your body burns an infinitesimal amount of calories to warm that water up. Not enough to bother counting. Single digits.

You do not gain weight because you drank water unless you were previously grossly dehydrated (which you may be if you avoid all liquids). In fact, consuming sufficient water every day actually KEEPS you from retaining water because your body knows that it will receive an adequate supply.

Everything in your body depends on adequate water intake, so drink up. You don't have to be a purist about it--you can flavor it!

ETA: A lot of people have said that you will lose more weight if you adequately hydrate yourself. This is true in the sense that you may drop water weight, yes. But it's not going to help you lose fat any more quickly. The large drops in scale weight that many people see the first week or so of a diet is mainly water.

If you ever need a quick check on your hydration level, look at your pee. It should be clear or very pale yellow. If it's any darker than that, you aren't drinking enough.

Well said! I absolutely agree with you. :bigsmile:

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    I know it is important, it's just so hard to drink it and feel my stomach blow up and weigh more.

Well, the sad part here is that i don't care about my health.
    But thank you all for your answers : )

Have you considered speaking to a counselor or a doctor about your eating issues? It sounds as though you may have some type of disordered eating. ;(

Haha. Yes. I go regularly ........

Find a new doctor.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Oh, wow. I really wish there was something I could say to make you feel better about yourself. But if you're so thin that you can SEE the difference drinking a glass of water makes in your stomach, you're really, really too thin. I've been seriously underweight before, and I couldn't tell.

You're young. You're beautiful. Everything in life is ahead of you. Take care of yourself. Please! :flowerforyou:
  • katslosingit
    katslosingit Posts: 41 Member
    Try drinking just a little at a time throughout the day so you don't feel it so much all at once.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Try carrying a water bottle around and take small sips from it frequently. You need water to be healthy. Your family and friends care about your health, even if you may not. You are young and have so many experiences to look forward to. If your doctor isn't helping, find someone else you can talk to. You matter and your health matters!
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Just drink it.

Ha, sorry this made me laugh.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Ok, water is a lot discussed, and i have heard that you can burn more kcals if you drink more cold water. Some says "drink water!!" to they who suffer and never lose any weight.
    I have tried to drink water, but i really can't. I know it doesn't makes me fat, but anyhow my weight increases, which makes me so depressed, i can't take it. Therefore, i barely drink.

Will i lose weight faster if i drink more water ???

after this post and the ones I read earlier today, I'm starting to think you either have or are on the way to developing an eating disorder. it definately appears that you have some unhealthy eating habits.

Water weight is water weight. Your weight is just a number, you should be focusing on body composition. As long as you're losing fat, and maintaining or building muscle, then you're improving the way you look.
    Every cell in your body needs water.

EDIT: please understand that you should be weighing yourself that often anyways. so drinking a 20oz bottle of water doesn't mean you are 101 pounds as opposed to right under 100.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    I would like to clarify and say that I'm not trying to point fingers at you.
    I dealt with similar issues in high school, and hate seeing people appearing to take the same path I did.
This discussion has been closed.