When you say "cheat day", what *exactly* do you mean?

Options

Replies

• cardsfanlv
    cardsfanlv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    For me, its Sundays. I have what I want. I try not to go overboard and lately I find I'm craving some of the bad stuff less than I used to, like soda for example.

I typically take my daughter to this place here in Vegas that serves up organic burgers for lunch. High calories but better quality and not as heavy as say Five Guys or In n Out. And then my wife and I go out to dinner for something we are craving, like pizza or crab legs or whatever.
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I think people use the term really loosely-- I know I do, anyway. I never PLAN cheat days into my weekly routine; that wouldn't work for me, since I have certain trigger foods that would really just make me continue to "cheat" (binge) for the following days. But a cheat day for me could be having a piece of cake on my birthday, eating a higher amount of carbs than normal if I'm really hungover (which is SUPER rare, but did happen recently!), or maybe going a little over on the calories for a special date night with the boyfriend. I'd never just allow myself a whole day to pig out on whatever I want, though. I've eaten like that in the past, and it's definitely not a method that works for me, since I have major portion issues!
  • jenniferdances1
    jenniferdances1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Every other weekend, on Saturday and Sunday, I eat whatever I want and don't log it. It keeps me from getting burnt out.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to eat more on one day, every 2 weeks, to keep my metabolism up. It is an increase in calories, not a 'eat anything I want all day' deal. I only have 12-13lbs left to lose so I'm doing anything I can to get there. If it works, I'll keep doing it, if not, I wont. :)
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own version of a 'cheat' day. Mine is one day where I don't log calories and I eat what I want. I'm usually pretty good throughout the day if we are planning on going out to dinner that night. If we do go out I let myself order what I want and don't really worry about the calories. Doing this has not only kept more than 100 pounds off for a five years but it also keeps me sane :wink:
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I go to Vegas, cheat at blackjack, and wind up in an underground tunnel, with some guy that looks like Joe Mantegna standing over me with a baseball bat.
    It doesn't do much for a headache, but it's hard to gain weight with your jaw wired shut.
  • TrinaJ11
    TrinaJ11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I don't do a cheat day every week but when I do it's usually so I can go out to dinner or a gathering and enjoy myself.
  • MissGeorgiaPeachy
    MissGeorgiaPeachy Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    my cheat day is easily in excess of 4000 calories as id have 2 bottles of wine which is about 1000 calories then easily 3000 if not more on food its amazing how much more you eat and drink when in a big group of people.. hasnt done me any harm though still lose every week

I agree with one of the other commenters about how you have to indulge sometimes if you want to make it a lifestyle change. If you enjoy your company and wine, there's no way you should have to give that up and it's great to hear it hasn't impeded your progress!
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    For me, it's usally a meal. I still log it though.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I don't call it a cheat day. I deliberately eat whatever I want on the weekend. Lifestyle change and all that.

I do log the day, though. It is quite terrifying to see 5,000 calories logged for a single day. :P
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I usually eat out about once a week...or order pizza or whatever... that would be my cheat day. So I guess its more of a cheat meal :laugh:
  • MissGeorgiaPeachy
    Options
    on my cheat days I start the day with a dozen donuts, then for lunch have a rack of ribs with all the sides, and for dinner an entire large pizza

Haha I would yak all over the place if I attempted this.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    My cheat day is more of a " Eat whatever." Sometimes this can go way over - but that's more for a speical occasion. State fair happens, giant family get together, wedding, etc. But mainly it's just to eat the things I've been craving like bread or red meat. I just find that letting my self have that one day where I can eat what I really want to eat makes a "diet" way easier for me. Sometimes a girl needs dessert and some chips and dip in the same day. I'm just TOO much of a foodie to every give up some of those unhealthy things I love so much.
  • reinadelaisla
    Options
    Good question... I usually just log what I have to the best of my ability and see where I'm at. All things considered, I usually stay within the boundaries, but I don't stress it if there are things in red. This Sunday I didn't log at all, lol, but I try to stay on track with my logging every day, because I find it keeps me a little more disciplined.
  • DavidCHobby
    Options
    Okay waitaminnit. "Cheat" days are about calories? It has nothing at all to do with marriage and fidelity?

That explains a LOT. I kept hearing people talking about having cheat days once a week (usually on Saturdays) and that sounded TOTALLY excessive to me...
  • brenda4life
    brenda4life Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I agree with KMS. I follow a plan called Body-For-Life that encourages a free day once a week. The thing about that free day is that once you start eating right and exercising you really don't want the things you once did. This past Sunday I bough Starburst Jelly Beans, I could eat an entire bag...well, I used to eat an entire bag. Now it just tasted like chewing sugar. That being said, it allows you for a treat you want without the guilt of many diet plans.
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I tried having a day where I ate whatever I wanted, but after behaving myself so much, I just couldn't do it. I eat WHATEVER I want everyday as long as it doesn't go over my daily calorie goal. I kind of plan it before hand and behave myself to allow it to fit in :)
  • MissGeorgiaPeachy
    Options
    I go to Vegas, cheat at blackjack, and wind up in an underground tunnel, with some guy that looks like Joe Mantegna standing over me with a baseball bat.
    It doesn't do much for a headache, but it's hard to gain weight with your jaw wired shut.

HAHAH This. This made my day.
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    The thing about that free day is that once you start eating right and exercising you really don't want the things you once did.
    This.
  • char_char_piper
    Options
    My cheat day is pre-planned; usually twice a month and I eat whatever I want without thinking about it. I don't log, but I still try to workout. I usually plan extra high intensity cardio the day before and the day after to compensate for the extra calories/carbs.
    I refuse to let myself feel guilty as I'm pretty on track with my fitness goals and bust my a** whenever I workout!!
    So that's my definition of a cheat/free day...