Help, I need some healthy altenatives

Options
2»

Replies

• Cookie22684
    Cookie22684 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I already have almonds, bananas, fruit cups, apples, i am trying to resist going to any fast food stores but its hard, i am also trying to cut my sodium in half, which is why i chose not to go to subway or any other fast foods stores
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    sometimes when I've had fried fish I kind of eat around the fried/battered part. Kind of makes me look like a brat, like I'm cutting the crust off my toast, but I feel at least slightly less guilty about it. Or you could politely sit and watch everyone else eat, then on your way home grab something healthy. I would say, just be prepared for next time & grab at least a piece of fruit or something so you don't have to be "tortured" by watching them eat their greasy food.
  • Cookie22684
    Options
    I 'm really leaning towards cereal and yogurt with some fruit, or oatmeal , fruit and almonds , and thats just great cause i burned 628 cals today :explode:
  • nissafull
    nissafull Posts: 48
    Options
    Now, I beg to differ. There are many southerners, myself included, that has worked hard to educate themselves in eating healthy... you are stereotyping. Disappointed.
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could bring a fruit salad with you, and ask her to bake/broil you a piece of the fish. You've been having tummy trouble lately (eating healthy) so you can't put heavier foods in your stomach right now without getting sick. Hopefully, she'll understand. By the way, do they server any vegetables at all? If not, volunteer to bring those so there'll be a well-balanced meal.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Ask them to add a salad to the menu next time.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Eat what is served. Small portions. Perhaps just cole slaw and fish, skip the hush puppies or just have one or half of one. It will cause problems and hurt feelings to bring other food in. The only excuse I could see as acceptable for eating other food is..........if you are vegan, on nurtra system, gluten free diet, etc, etc. Good luck!

I completely disagree. Your health is more important than someone else's feelings. Seriously.

One meal won't kill you but there are ways to be kind about not partaking in a meal. When people cook it is an expression of themselves, their up bringing and back ground. that meal was labor intensive so it would be nice to try portion control. And plan better the next time. Diets are hard on people that want to entertain us so being considerate of their struggles is nice also.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I 'm really leaning towards cereal and yogurt with some fruit, or oatmeal , fruit and almonds , and thats just great cause i burned 628 cals today :explode:

If you are watching your sodium, have a can of unsalted green beans, make your own microwave plain popcorn, plain almonds and apples are all relatively low in sodium.

You could also get a package of low sodium tuna to counteract their "fried food" smeall :smile:
  • Cookie22684
    Options
    I am not stereotyping , i am just trying to get healthy alternatives, i do agree there are many southerners that do educate themselves in eating healthy but his family isn't one of them , also i never said all southerners eat like crap i said his family eat like crap
  • Cookie22684
    Options
    I'm allergic to tuna :cry:
  • Cnava01
    Cnava01 Posts: 37
    Options
    That's a tough one. Your best choice would have been to go with a half a cup of the cole slaw and one other item just in a smaller portion. Fried fish isn't too bad for you as long as you do not eat it regularly.

Next time you attend dinner with his family bring a dish to share so you know that you will have an option. Maybe offer to make a cole slaw and make it with a little vinegar and oil instead of mayonnaise or bring a really tasty baked fish dish that even they would enjoy and try to make for themselves sometime. I love to create low fat version recipes of different cultural and comfort foods so if you ever need a recipe suggestion reach out to me.

And last but not least always spread your knowledge and passion for what you care about. Especially when it comes to your health because that can rub off on people and help them. :)
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'd stick with subway. Sodium isn't gonna hurt.

Or bring your own food next time haha
  • nissafull
    Options
    Cookie, My reply was mainly directed towards Angela4Health. Good Luck.
  • nissafull
    Options
    Cookie, My reply was mainly directed towards Angela4Health. Good Luck.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options

It's okay! Tuna is gross!
  • Cookie22684
    Options

It's okay! Tuna is gross!

LoL
  • achojnacki
    achojnacki Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Next time maybe bring a nice container of salad with lowfat dressing for everyone to eat, and eat a big salad and a small piece of fish?

I find that when I am dieting, or when I was a vegetarian it was hard to have options to eat everywhere so I would come prepared. For example at a BBQ-bring veggie hot dogs and vegetable kabobs to share.