"Real women have curves."

Options
Women, how do you feel about the statement "real women have curves"? It was originally a slogan used by Dove to sell body products, I think, someone correct if I'm wrong, but seems to have made its way into common vernacular in discussions about body types.

And of course men's opinions are welcome as well, I addressed the post toward women since I think it's more relevant to us considering it's a statement about women, not to exclude anyone!

Replies

• katerams
    katerams Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    All women have curves; Dove introduced it as a way of telling bigger women that you don't have to be stick thin to be beautiful.
    It gives me comfort; as my body type will never allow me to be a size 8 (size 0-3 us).
  • l13are
    l13are Posts: 11
    Options
    I agree that SOME women have curves, there's so many different body types around that there shouldn't be a slogan like that, in my opinion; for example i have curves and my friend is straight up and down does this make her less of a woman? NO
  • afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Personally I hate that statement- Real women come in all shapes and sizes, and even if a woman isnt as curvy doesnt make her less beautiful, and just because a woman is more curvy, that doesnt make her more healthy than a thin woman.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I understand the reason behind it and how that's good but there probably could've been better ways of getting the same message across. It kind of implies that you aren't a real woman if you're naturally skinny or don't have a very curvy frame and I think everyone's body type should be celebrated in this sort of ad campaign as long as they are healthy.
  • xerinx2011
    xerinx2011 Posts: 222
    Options
    I see where they are coming from. It encourages more confidence in women that do have curves, where as most adverts ect have very thin women in them that dont have curves which can make women feel insecure when they compare themselves.

Everyone is a different shape or size and this doesnt mean that you are any less of a woman if you dont have curves.

I think dove were trying to appeal to 'normal' women.. maybe not done in the right way but its worked for them.
  • kumarprabhat
    Options
    It is definitely a statement with male perspective, and I agree with it. I like women with curves, and not with the boney strucuture.

No offense meant to anyone in particular, just expressing where my appreciation lies more.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,300 Member
    Options
    I have curves and I love them! I'm a healthy weight for my height so I'm lucky to have it all :o)
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Defo a statement made from a guys view point, but can understand how it could get in to peoples minds.

Different guys (and girls) like different things about the opposite sex, there is no "one size fits all" (no pun intended)

people need to focus on doing what they do for themselves and try not to conform to what the media throw at us, the whole time. Its happening more and more to guys as well now. Years back it was all about stick thin woman etc etc, and now the same can be said for the guys.

Me......... I say......eat healthy........eat right...........treats now and then, and we are the shape we are.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I like all women, shapes and sizes..... blond, brunette, redhead.... curvy, skinny, tall, short, large breast, small breast....... I have never been one to say "oh she'd be perfect if she was X......." I married a very curvy blond (shout out to ya baby) and to me she has always been gorgeous to me, even after having our son and carrying some baby weight. In the past I had dated less curvy petite women and find them very attractive as well.... so for me its not an issue either way.

I also feel it depends on a womans frame and if she is healthy or not for their body type.

just one guys opinion here............
  • DaisyMoo86
    Options
    Call me crazy but I like all women, shapes and sizes..... blond, brunette, redhead.... curvy, skinny, tall, short, large breast, small breast....... I have never been one to say "oh she'd be perfect if she was X......." I married a very curvy blond (shout out to ya baby) and to me she has always been gorgeous to me, even after having our son and carrying some baby weight. In the past I had dated less curvy petite women and find them very attractive as well.... so for me its not an issue either way.

I also feel it depends on a womans frame and if she is healthy or not for their body type.

just one guys opinion here............

I LOVE THIS COMMENT!!!!! x
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    We are all different. While I can see that the campaign slogan was meant to send a positive message, I have to think it might be somewhat offensive to those women who just don't have curves. What we find physically attractive is a very personal thing. The same holds true for what women like in a man. Men who work out constantly like body builders are very curvy. Does that make them more "real" then the man who works a physical job and has naturally acquired muscles on a lean body?

I still like forming my own opinions about what I find attractive or not. I don't need the media or advertising companies to tell me what to like. The heart wants what it wants. :love:
  • slimmerchick
    slimmerchick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I was overweight, went on weight watchers, reached goal weight, went a little lower, lost my bust!

I can't seem to get it back, and don't want a fat butt again!

I do feel the slogan is suggesting that flat chested, flat bottomed women aren't real women, I appreciate that the slogan's intention is to get over the stick thin model desire that people strived for (at one time not sure if they still do), and to make curvier women feel better about themselves; but some people are thin - it shouldn't be thought of as unnatural or unwomanly - I have tiny boobies now but am still a woman!
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the statement at all. We all know how it was meant and in fairness, when they first started with these ads a few years ago, they were quite innovative (sp?) with it, it was nice to see lots of different shapes - and ages - in their ads, as opposed to all the thin beautiful models in every other ad.
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Personally I hate that statement- Real women come in all shapes and sizes, and even if a woman isnt as curvy doesnt make her less beautiful, and just because a woman is more curvy, that doesnt make her more healthy than a thin woman.
    I agree 100%
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Well....I have lost about 73 lbs since I had my son....and I still have my curves and it looks like they are going no where.. I really don't mind them...tho sometimes....I do wish I was bit less curvy
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Sounds exclusionary but I get the intent.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I'm tall and curvy....I LOVE my hourglass shape. :)
  • DarkAngel864
    DarkAngel864 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm super curvy....luckily, despite some extra weight, I'm very proportionate, which makes me feel sexier! I agree, not all women have curves, but I think everyone has something beautiful about them, looks or otherwise!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I think women need to stop telling other women how they should look and focus on health and quality of life... just my $0.02, coming from a very well proportioned curvy chick.

I have friends of all shapes and sizes, and every single one of us hates our figure (me included). My skinny friends hate that they have a flat chest/flat butt/1:1 hip:waist ratio, etc. My more voluptuous friends hate that they aren't skinnier. The ones in the middle hate one direction or the other. It's sad.
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    i used to curvy... until i started losing weight. sigh. now, im just lumpy. lol. my booty and boobies were the first to go. now i just got a cut. so i prefer the saying... "real women are lumpy". haha! jk. i think all women are beautiful. tall short skinny big chesty or not. a woman is beautiful no matter what kind of curves, lumps, or lack there of she might have!