Anyone else have kids with weight problems, or starting to?

Options
2»

Replies

• donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Obesity is a problem for girls in my family. Not so much for boys. My husband is "overweight", but never obese and in the summer he floats back into "normal" ranges without even trying.

We have two boys. When the oldest was around 3-4 he started to chub out. I freaked out a bit, my husband didn't worry about it. He said he was like that as a kid. Sure enough by the time he turned five he was fine.

My youngest became obese after last Halloween's candy bender and is growing into it now. X-D

Now, the youngest is still obese...but summer is coming. The kids swim and jump in the trampoline and I'm completely confident that by the end of summer he won't be obese. Then he'll be in pre-k and not lounging around the house all winter.

The oldest is "overweight" according to kid BMI charts. But he doesn't have breasts or rolls, his thighs don't touch and he doesn't have much for a double chin. I'm not worried (anymore).
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys sooo much for all the kind words and encouragment, and the stories of your own struggles with your children (and AS children your own selves!!)

I am definitely going to clean out this house of all the crap and start having a "eat with the family or don't eat at all" policy at dinnertime.

Any advice on what I should do with these 3 giant Easter bunnies that need to go??? (My in laws think its cute to buy the BIGGEST chocolate bunnies possible - 3500 calories a piece, probably.)

And thats not all - there is still small candy left in their baskets. :( I swear I've watched my daughter grow two pants sizes since Easter morning.
  • hellenyork
    Options
    We have a 6 year old that is the same way. She has spent a lot of time with her grandparents who let her eat anything and not be active. Since we are eating more healthy and she is moving in with us at the end of the month we're hoping to help control it with better snack/dinner choices and more outdoor activites!
  • donicagalek
    Options
    Grate the bunnies and put the chocolate flakes in a ziplock. Throw it in the freezer and use it whenever you need chocolate chips for granola/granolabars, sprinkles or just to top off healthy desserts (chocolate tipped strawberries - melt the chocolate in the microwave).
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    It's so great that you've identified the problem early and are willing to work on it! I agree with the posters who are saying to stop cooking 2 meals. Make one meal for everyone that includes at least 1 vegetable (many times we have 2 or 3). Another "rule" we've adopted is no seconds on anything until all other foods are off the plate. If they get full before they've eaten everything, that's fine. But they can't go back for potatoes if there are still green beans on the plate.

Do you guys ride bikes? Like to play catch? Get a good game of kickball going with the neighbor kids? How about the ol' Kick the Can or Capture the Flag? These are all forms of exercise, but don't seem like it and can be really fun! We played a bunch of kick the can last summer and that is GOOD exercise!

I would take all the "bad food" out of the house and replace with healthy. On occasion, buy a small bag of chips or bake a few cookies. Remember, no food is bad and that's the wrong lesson to teach. Work those "treats" into a meal. But make sure there is only enough for the one meal and no more. (Or throw away the rest).

Make sure rewards are not based on food. My parents rewarded good grades with going out to eat or getting to pick our meal for supper. Some poeple do ok with this, I didn't. I have ever since tied success to food. Instead, make it a new Wii game, or save it up to the end of the year and make it a new bike, or rollerblades, or some other activity based reward.

I see you're wondering about Easter basket candy. Throw it out. Throw out the bunnies. People may not agree with this, but I've been known to lie about situations like that..."What happened to my Easter Bunny?" " I don't know...where did you have it last?" Not saying it's the right answer, but just being honest.
  • Chuckw40
    Chuckw40 Posts: 201
    Options
    Thank you guys sooo much for all the kind words and encouragment, and the stories of your own struggles with your children (and AS children your own selves!!)

I am definitely going to clean out this house of all the crap and start having a "eat with the family or don't eat at all" policy at dinnertime.

Any advice on what I should do with these 3 giant Easter bunnies that need to go??? (My in laws think its cute to buy the BIGGEST chocolate bunnies possible - 3500 calories a piece, probably.)

And thats not all - there is still small candy left in their baskets. :( I swear I've watched my daughter grow two pants sizes since Easter morning.

it's just my opinion but you may want to let your children enjoy their Easter candy. It just seems cruel to me to take away a chocolate bunny!
  • donicagalek
    Options
    Freeze the rest of their candy, too. Tell them it's to keep it from going bad. Candy gets eaten *much* slower if it's taken out of the freezer by the piece and knawed on while it's frozen. :-D

Other ideas for the frozen grated bunnies:

choc-chip waffles or pancakes (make them whole grain and throw some choc flakes in)
    yogurt topping
    a batch of choc. chip cookies when they have friends over (share the calories! X-D)

Chocolate isn't evil. Neither is pizza or chips or ice cream. They're foods. Just ones that need to be eaten sparingly. Too many parents try to eliminate these things from their kids' diets instead of showing their kids *how* to eat them. Then when the kids grow up and go to college/move out on their own - they start packing on the weight because they were never taught how to eat.

Double whammy - I was allowed to eat poorly as a kid and I got WORSE when I went to college. X-D
  • Kjarlune
    Kjarlune Posts: 178
    Options
    I am very saddened to see that my daughter (12) seems to be developing a weight problem. I don't know what to do about it - she is very sensitive and takes things very personally. She's a sweet kid - but a little on the lazy side. And her diet is not good. I have already decided today that my mentality about meals around here MUST change - I have always allowed the kids their own choices in dinner, if they hate what we're having (salmon patties for example) I will make them an alternate choice. But not anymore. I will put my foot down and they will have to eat what we're having or not eat.

But, is there anything else I can do for her? I am just going to sneak the bad foods out and the good foods in without really talking about it. They all (the kids) know that hubby and I are improving our health, so hopefully she won't take it personally and she'll just figure its what the family is doing now. But I don't think I need to address her issues specifically, do I? Heck, I have my own eating issues I am working on, and I think a lot of it stems from all the "conversations" people had with me when I was 12 about my eating.

My daughter has just finished loosing 15 pounds...because of this problem....I sat down and told her that she learnt her habits from me, and that it was my fault not hers...I took out all the chocolate...all the candy and junk..Made the entire family join me on my quest. My older kids go to the store buy their own and hide it in the basement...I told K that she could be mad at me if she wanted but she would be thanking me in the long run and I was not here to be her friend.....She lost her 15 pounds feels amazing, eats great and at easter I got her chocolate. She eats one small piece at a time because she does not like how it makes her feel....

She went from a 14 to a 10......we have to get them on track....it is our job....everyone around me tried to say it was baby fat, I got mad.....She didn't like it, but she is very thankful now...and it gave her the opportunity to be able to be honest with me too..Now if she sees me eating something I shouldn't she will point it out....Nicely...but still...She is getting ready to take kids zumba...we just have to do it...
  • SolidGoaled
    Options
    Grate the bunnies and put the chocolate flakes in a ziplock. Throw it in the freezer and use it whenever you need chocolate chips for granola/granolabars, sprinkles or just to top off healthy desserts (chocolate tipped strawberries - melt the chocolate in the microwave).

This is a good idea, and I already do have 3 solid chocolate bunnies in the freezer that I stole before the kids saw them (grandparents again) but how do I explain to them that instead of letting them eat their bunnies, I want to freeze them and use the chocolate some other time???
  • SolidGoaled
    Options

it's just my opinion but you may want to let your children enjoy their Easter candy. It just seems cruel to me to take away a chocolate bunny!

I hear ya - it does seem mean, BUT, I also can't stand the thoughts of her consuming that many calories and sugar in one sitting while she's dealing with a weight problem right now. Isn't standing by and letting that go on neglectful in a way? Plus, she has enjoyed PLENTY of Easter candy - its just these GIGANTIC chocolate bunnies that I DID NOT buy that are bothering me....
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I have two thoughts about this... I was a former chubby kid who had a bit of pressure put on her to eat better and all that taught me was how to sneak food. Also, I don't think kids should be worrying bout their weight as they do fluctuate as they grow.

Make the focus on healthy eating and activity and NOT about how much everyone weighs. You and hubby can keep track of that yourselves but I wouldn't talk about it with the kids.
    Go for walks, hikes, bike rides, etc together - especially this time of year when it's getting to be warmer out. And for rainy days, have a list of active indoor games handy (google "indoor active games for kids" and you'll see several great ideas)

I love the idea of getting rid of the junk but maybe leave one thing they really like that's not too unhealthy just so they don't feel like they're being deprived or punished. Teaching them moderation is just as important as the rest of it!!
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options

I hear ya - it does seem mean, BUT, I also can't stand the thoughts of her consuming that many calories and sugar in one sitting while she's dealing with a weight problem right now. Isn't standing by and letting that go on neglectful in a way? Plus, she has enjoyed PLENTY of Easter candy - its just these GIGANTIC chocolate bunnies that I DID NOT buy that are bothering me....

Why don't you see if your daughter is willing to break it in chunks and save it in the freezer? That way, her treat will last longer. ;-)
  • SolidGoaled
    Options
    I think I have the kids talked into letting the Giant Chocolate Bunnies be given out by us as "dessert" only, after dinner. At the table, in a mindful way instead of letting them veg in front of the TV with them. :/

The rest of the candy in their baskets I am just letting them have at it until its gone - its hard for me to do, but I am trying to just keep my mouth shut. Next year, I am definitely not giving them as much - evidently I don't have to with the grandparents around.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I am not a parent but as a kid I was fat, the got anorexic, then fat again. I would like to offer my opinion...

Parents should lay down the law in the kitchen. Although exercise is really important, I was a very active kid playing for all the sport teams and walking to and from school daily. We had homemade food every day and at school I ate the hot dinners provided (also healthy food). But at no point did I get any concept of portion control. Parents, please, don't let your kids eat adult portions except of vegetables and salad. No kid likes being overweight but rarely are they in the position to do anything about it because they don't do the groceries, or the cooking, or serve the food up, and they don't have the knowledge adults do about food. A kid's health going into adulthood is probably the best thing a parent can give them or destroy for them and if it means being a b**** I really think parents should do that in order to keep their kids healthy. Eating healthy and less is not a big deal really, and if it is implemented early on the kid will probably not even know the difference.

I know my ED (anorexia) was a direct result of being overweight as a kid and that could have been controlled. I would never wish that on anyone else and I'm sure every parent can imagine how awful it would feel to see their kid suffer that as a result of not laying down the law on food.