Things I wish I knew when I started running.

Options

Replies

• corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Great post OP
  • crodriguez30
    crodriguez30 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You wouldn’t guess it by looking at me but I’m a runner. I’m the happiest when I’m running. I have a lot of weight to lose and sometimes that gets me down but this is exactly what I needed to hear (or read). Thank you.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Great post! I'm tackling my first 5k this coming Sunday and I'm stoked! I've had a run where I just got lost in the run itself and then suddenly realized I went further than I ever have. I'm hoping to to have this happen on a regular basis.
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    This is a great post! I starting to really doubt the program. I have made it all the way to week 7 day3 of c25k and just could not finish the day despite having done it before! Good to remember we don't have to be perfect, we just have to try! AWESOME!
  • aub7
    aub7 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this! I started running last summer for the first time in over 10 yrs. It was a womens running clinic through the YMCA and I am so glad I did it. I started in the beginning group and did 3 5k races last year. It was very similiar to the Couch to 5k program as we did running and walking intervals. I took the winter off, and am just getting back into running and using the intervals to get back into things. For anyone just starting out or getting back into, I think the walking intervals is the way to go. For me it was easy to look at my watch when I thought I was going to die and see that soon I could walk for 2 mins. Just remember to try to keep a fast pace while you are walking!
  • crunkpunch
    Options
    Great post! I've been running for 9 months, in 3 weeks I will be running my first organized 5K.

I also learned how to run using the Couch to 5K program. While I still have yet to go 5k, I am running for 30 mins straight... which is amazing considering I couldn't even make it through all of the one minute intervals my first week out.

I completely agree with everything you have said. Slow and steady is the best way to go. I repeated week 3, 3 times, I just couldn't make it through. As soon as I slowed my pace it was easier and ever since I've run knowing that as long as it's a slower pace I WILL make it through.

Everyone has bad runs, and it's disapointing but you are 100% right, the good runs make it all worth it. Most days I have to talk myself into going. Once I'm finished, I'm so glad I forced myself to go. Even if it's a bad run.

Good luck to everyone who is just starting out!
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Wow! I hesitated posting because I didn't want to seem like a know it all since I really don't know it all. Probably not even half of it! :) I'm really glad it speaks to some folks!
  • ravenlunatic76
    ravenlunatic76 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    FANTASTIC POST.

I am 2 1/2 months into running. I am someone who used to be able to 'run' for 4 minutes, then walk for 10. Now I am running 5Ks in around 33 minutes without slowing down, without stopping, all due to hard work, perseverance....

and people like you who've shared their experiences.

I thank you greatly.

I never thought I'd be able to run a mile straight.

Then I ran a mile straight. Then two.

Now I am running 5Ks without slowing down. Albeit on the treadmill, outside is coming soon.

Next goal is to run 2 miles straight outside. Then 3.

After that this time next year I want to be able to run 7-10 miles straight on the treadmill to eventually in three years run a half marathon.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    What a great post, I'm just trying running on for size, your advice is extremely useful and motivating. :smile:
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add to the already very good starting list -
    Comfortable running clothes are a must for me. I don't so much care what the look like but anything to minimize chafing really really helps. Especially in the bra area! When I started running, I was using two sports bras! Happily that area has subsided down to a happy little B cup that only requires one sports bra now!

Also, I've done C25k, a Hal Higdon training program and Jeff Galloway's run/walk system - be aware that there are LOTS of options and many of them are free and available on the internet.

And definitely, get good shoes!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Good topic and I think you captured the two keys to running: Consistency + Persistence.
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    BUMP
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jcm214
    jcm214 Posts: 157
    Options
    This is awesome. Thanks for posting! It gives me hope!
  • 1FitMom326
    1FitMom326 Posts: 228
    Options
    Very good advice! I never considered myself a runner or never even thought I could do it. 9 weeks ago I started the Couch 2 10k program and have to say I have shocked myself. Every week I have challenges and wonder if I will move up to the next level but it never fails I surprise myself.

I completely agree that there are days that I don't run my best and it sometimes seems more of a task and then there are days I am so proud that I can't wait to share my results. It is really about finding your pace, what works for you how you can challenge yourself and what it is your looking to accomplish. A friend of mine registered me for a 10k saying I know you can do it. I was so scared doubting whether I could ever run that far. Now as I am running consistently at 5 miles I know the 10k is just a matter of time. Set a goal or sign up for a race it is really rewarding to work towards the goal and just finishing the race for me is going to feel so good.

In addition to good shoes... Good Socks. I had a great pair of shoes that I never wanted to wear because they hurt my heel and when I went to the running store they suggested a different pair of socks and the difference was amazing.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Leslie2273
    Leslie2273 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    So many great tips! Thanks for sharing! I've just recently started "run till you feel like walking- walk till you feel like running" and I like it. I'm not a runner, but I'm learning. And it's so funny becuz now when I'm doing the running part and ppl see me they point to me and say --> look at that runner. Which is a trick becuz I"m really just a walker in disguise lol. :laugh:
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    great post! TFS!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOSH....I soooo needed this today! I am on Week 3. I am literally twice the size I should be and have never run in my life. My best friend talked me into this C25K class, and I HATE IT! I hate running, I can't keep up, I'm tired of being last. blah blah blah. I esp love where you said "I really thought I was just going to tell my body to run and it would to it. ". That is totally me.

Good inspiration, I WILL stick to it and hopefully be talking about my success before too long!
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!