Things I wish I knew when I started running.

Options

Replies

• jackiekjames
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing...i have just started running and yesterday i accomplished 1 mile (at a slow pace) without ever stopping...i know it's nothing to anyone else ...but it was awesome to me...i plan to continue..i love running!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Love this. :heart:

I'm another C25k poster child. :smile: Started four months ago, and tomorrow evening is my 3rd 5k. Then a 5 mile race on Sunday. It's amazing how addictive it is!

I used to drive along and see people jogging and think, "WTF is wrong with them?!" Now I'm one of them! :laugh:
  • jackiekjames
    Options
    Hahaha...that sounds JUST like me!!! :)
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I'll just add my endorsement to just about everything you've said. I've been running for just about 6 years, have run multiple marathons, and can honestly say that I agree with just about everything. Thanks for posting this, it looks like a lot of people needed to hear what you had to say.
  • BlueEyesAllDay
    Options
    Want to save for later
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just started week 6 of the c210k and have had 2 crappy runs in a row (I'm on a TM and am now thinking of taking it outside). Not that I thought about quitting, but this is exactly what I needed to read today.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I'll add my support for C25K also. I started out not being able to run to the end of my street to just finishing up W9 right before my 5K. As others have said...good shoes and socks are a must!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I echo a lot of that. I think it's been 18 months since I started C25K, thus that's when I say I started "running". I ran my first 5K in December of 09 and finished last...by 10 minutes, my time was 36m something. Persistance is the key. My 2nd 5K in Jan 2010 I was excited when I finished ahead of more than a handul of people.

I take my bibs hand hang them up on a floor joist in my "Man Cave" in the basement. I write the date, and time on them. I was counting them when I hung my 10K bib up this weekend. I've ran in 7 timed events. I've finished near the back in all of them. I doubt I will ever place at a race, unless it has a Clydedale Division. However, when you're as big as I was, and as big as I am, running any distance is a huge victory. Just the look on peoples faces when they see me trucking along is enough in my book.

The biggest disapointment came last fall when I signed up for a Half Marathon. 5 days before the event I came down with a nasty virus that kept me in bed for over 72 hours. I could barely walk to pick up my packet, I switched to the companion 5K, not even knowing if I would finish that. I did, in a little over 40 minutes. I think the disapoitment from that turned me off to running for a while.

I started back running after the Christmas Season. Like I mentioned earlier I finished a 10K this past Saturday, and that event really got me excited about running again. I'll register for another 10K in June as soon as registration opens. I've spent a lot of my free internet time researching other races in the area. I'm going to get another crack at a Half. The thought of running an Ultra intreagues me. But I can't justify an Ultra if I haven't even gone 13.1.

Enough rambling. There are a lot of things to enjoy about running. Don't let your preception of how other people will precieve you stop you from running. I aside from running being high impact, I find that to be the biggest excuse as to why people don't run. I know a lot of people hate this statement on MFP, but it's true. If a 280 lb Man can run, you can too. (barring other medical problems)
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    Sue- Aren't you glad you said something!? :wink: Oh so many of those things I already know- but so nice to hear them again. And I'm still holding onto the dream that i"ll magically be able to just go 50 miles straight tomorrow... at a sub 9 min pace. A girl can dream....
  • bmorebatman
    bmorebatman Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    great tips!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Get good shoes and replace them when they start to wear.

Great story!! Good for you for sticking with it!! You've done an amazing job and deserve to be proud.

I do want to highlight the part about good shoes. For you rookie runners out there, don't just go to Target and pick up any pair. Go to a store that specializes in running and get fit. They will find the right shoe for YOU. It doesn't matter what I like, what the OP likes or anyone else. You have to have the right one for your foot. The right shoe feels great and the wrong shoe can be uncomfortable (at best) and lead to injuries (at worst). You should replace them every six months or every 300-400 miles. Shoes are important to a runner!! :smile:

As a long distance runner, there is absolute truth in this. The padding, cushioning, etc break down very quickly when running. You can be driving up to 7 times your weight into a few square inches of foam and rubber... and this happens thousands of times each run. Shoes break down and no longer support your foot properly leading to injury. As a heavier runner (228 lbs) I find I need to replace my shoes every 300 miles maximum.

The best advice I can offer is to go to a store which deals with runners almost exclusively (think Stride Ahead, Fleet Feet, Running Room etc). Don't trust your feet to some high school student working part time at the local department store. A good runner supply store has trained staff who can look at your gait, they can look at the wear patterns on your shoes and tell you what you need (Stability, Motion Control, Neutral).
  • ashleymcquown
    Options
    really inspiring story. thanks for sharing this : )
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I appreciate you taking the time to share this with all of us!

I just ran outside for the FIRST TIME yesterday. I say ran - funny, it was really the slowest jog I'm sure most people have witnessed!! For me, that was a huge accomplishment. I hope it gets easier to be the spectacle I feel I am when I'm out there in public... It certainly felt much more effective than running circles in my house!

Thanks for your post, I'm going to refer to it often as I continue my lil running journey :smile:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I appreciate you taking the time to share this with all of us!

I just ran outside for the FIRST TIME yesterday. I say ran - funny, it was really the slowest jog I'm sure most people have witnessed!! For me, that was a huge accomplishment. I hope it gets easier to be the spectacle I feel I am when I'm out there in public... It certainly felt much more effective than running circles in my house!

Thanks for your post, I'm going to refer to it often as I continue my lil running journey :smile:

For most people endurance comes before speed! Unlike most people who stand by and watch... you are doing it! Great job! Keep it up! It gets easier.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    God bless you for this post! I'm a new runner. I'm not that good at it yet, but I am determined.
  • sherrymo6
    sherrymo6 Posts: 79
    Options
    Thank you for your posting. I have just started to run and is has been slow going, so I thank you for your insight. Very helpful.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :flowerforyou:

I started c25k yesterday and today my calves and shins ache, and my chest is still wheezy (I am not a smoker!) but I'm going out again tomorrow. I also have more than 50lbs to get rid of, so your post was real inspiration. In fact, I've just copied and pasted it into a Word document (I hope you don't mind), so I can look at it as and when I need to, and remind myself that I *can* do it! And I know I can...I just know, y'know! :bigsmile:
  • chantalbennett
    chantalbennett Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this :) I just started running and have a feeling that I will need to revisit this post for inspiration!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. I'm not interested in running any races but I have just recently started jogging outside since its started to warm up. While it was cold I was hitting the treadmill. I'm a slow jogger (13 min mile) but I love it. No pressure just me and nature.