Scrimp vs. Splurge -- from a product junkie!!!!

Options
So I love the "Scrimp vs. Splurge" columns they sometimes have in fashion magazines, talking about which beauty products are worth the money and which are just bunk.

Now that I'm on the road so much, I've decided to treat myself to a few new beauty boosts...and I'd love your opinion on what's worth the money!

Anyone want to weigh in on their "can't live without" products -- whether cheapie or expensive?

For me:
Scrimp
* Bonne Bell Lip Smackers are the best! I wear them alone or under lipstick
* Vaseline -- still the best for dry lips and because it's not liquid, I put it in a tiny little jar for traveling and use it for everything -- hands, feet, eye cream, lips, etc.
* Neutrogena moistureizers -- read the reviews on Consumer Reports which said these ones with Retinol are just as good, if not better than, the super expensive creams
* Bath products -- I make all my own, using various combinations of honey, milk, lavender oil, baking soda, olive oil, cornstarch, oatmeal, or whatever else I have on hand. I love that they are all-natural and feel sooooo good!
* Burts Bees Orange Wax lotion -- LOVE the smell and the feel of this lotion

Splurge:
* I'm looking at the T3 Bespoke hair dryer but it's $300!!!! Is that really worth the money?
* Fekkai Technician shampoo and conditioner -- $35 each and worth every penny
* Nars Monoi shimmery body oil -- I love this and it makes my skin glowy!
* Perfume -- Worth the money, to me
* Christian Dior and/ or Vincent Longo mascara -- LOVE both of these!

Replies

• wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    So I love the "Scrimp vs. Splurge" columns they sometimes have in fashion magazines, talking about which beauty products are worth the money and which are just bunk.

Now that I'm on the road so much, I've decided to treat myself to a few new beauty boosts...and I'd love your opinion on what's worth the money!

Anyone want to weigh in on their "can't live without" products -- whether cheapie or expensive?

For me:
    Scrimp
    * Vaseline -- still the best for dry lips and because it's not liquid, I put it in a tiny little jar for traveling and use it for everything -- hands, feet, eye cream, lips, etc.
    * Neutrogena moistureizers -- read the reviews on Consumer Reports which said these ones with Retinol are just as good, if not better than, the super expensive creams
    * Bath products -- I make all my own, using various combinations of honey, milk, lavender oil, baking soda, olive oil, cornstarch, oatmeal, or whatever else I have on hand. I love that they are all-natural and feel sooooo good!

Splurge:
    * I'm looking at the T3 Bespoke hair dryer but it's $300!!!! Is that really worth the money?
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Neutrogena Sesame oil is a great body moisturizer - I smooth it right after a bath, and it can be used IN the bath or as a massage oil.

Pricey (for me) at $9 12 ounce bottle but I use it sparingly. Definitely a luxury.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! I'm not much of a "product" splurger - I'll shell out $2 for the V06 99 cent shampoo and conditioner any day! :laugh: :laugh:

I don't think I own a hairdryer...or a curling iron...takes too much time!

Anyways, my fav "bath" thing is Trader Joe's Citrus Sugar Scrub - smells deeeevine (I would eat it if I could!) I use it after I shave - makes my legs soft and "touchable" :blushing:
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    a 300.00 dollar hair dryer :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: now thats a good one!!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

For me:
    Scrimp

Splurge:

Love this post Wandering - right up my alley!

Splurges...
    For hair I LOVE the Aveda products, hands down. I also LOVE the Monoi body oil - the smell is out of this world, and to me, spells summer.
    :flowerforyou:

I don't know the dryer - although $300 does sound a bit steep - although I think it might be like a straightener - you need a good one or your hair pays in the long run (not to mention the improved performance day to day!).

I also LOVE the La Roche Posay skin care line - beautiful products. I use the 60spf everyday, and the Cera Lip everday. I've always loved Mac cosmetics, but my new fav is, I'm not kidding, the Sheer Cover (Leeza Gibbons informercial). It does all that it says - my skin looks flawless with this stuff on (and I have lots to cover - dark circles, sun spots, etc).

Scrimps...

Maybelline Full and Soft Mascara is the best I've ever used - and is dirt cheap at $8 a tube. I also love Vaseline for my feet (before bed, followed by a white cotton sport sock) - you don't get much more scrimpy than Vaseline!

Not a beauty product, but I hope my fellow Canadians know what I'm talking about... the Joe Fresh line of clothes at the Superstore is AMAZING!!! (women's, men's and kids). Their yoga wear rivals Lulu Lemon at a fraction of the cost. Their designer used to head up Club Monaco, so the clothes have great style and are DIRT CHEAP!!!
  • AJCM
    Options
    Wandering - do you use the retinol products? I have a precription for some for sun spots, so just wondering what you think of the over the counter products.
    Thanks!
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Ooooo...would give anything to find a Lululemon substitute! My addiction is killing my wallet...but their stuff is sooooo cute and well, sometimes I will work out just because i'm excited to wear some hot little workout number...so I figure it's money well spent...

I know, Metco, $300 for a hairdryer is ridiculous!

AJCM -- I'm just starting to use the retinol stuff. Nothing has really worked so far on my sun spot, so I'm trying out different options. I've also been using Prevage (definitely falls under the "splurge" category at $100/ bottle) but it has done wonders for my skin and I've had the same bottle for almost a year now so I think the price is worth it.

Oh and in case you haven't noticed, there is nobody better at justifying all this money spent than me!!! I can find an excuse for anything...
  • bodibykelli
    Options
    When you think about it (I LOVE to justify big purchases :laugh: ), spending $300 on a top of the line hair dryer gets less expensive with each year you still own it. I mean, how many times do you normally buy a new hair dryer?! When all else fails, I consider that I just sent a check to our energy company here in Florida, for $582 for the month of July :noway:
  • AJCM
    Options
    Oh Keli - I feel your pain on the air conditioning costs this summer! :huh:

We do deserve to treat ourselves though, no? The whole concept of the scrimp vs splurge allows us to spend a little one some things because we saved on others!

Wandering - I don't know if you ever travel to Toronto or Vancouver with business, but you should check out Joe if you come - their yoga wear is awesome! The same pants at Lulu which are over $100 are $29.99.
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Splurge:

No, it isn't-unless you are a hairstylist and/or have weak wrists as more expensive (or rather professional hairdryers) tend to be lighter in weight, but not always. Go for mid-range, and spend the money you save on quality hair products and having a professional cut, color and/or highlight if you do not already.

I was a hairstylist for years and years. Of course, other stylists may disagree with me.:smile:
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite scrimp is Confess perfume by K Mart...when you can get it. Its an Obsession knock off, but for my body chemistry it smells better. ( I've tried Obsession...) I've worn it for years and had people compliment me on my perfume.

Another scrimp is table sugar, olive oil and perfume for scrubbing those scaly legs in the winter, cheap and feels great!
    Ez

PS...Ezzie's(:devil: ) favorite splurge is EROS body glide (personal lubricant) 'bout $50 for 8 oz:blushing: :blushing: :blushing:
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Scrimp:
    Neutrogena Healthy Skin care line
    Neurtogena Sunblock
    (I was using Clarins before and I my aunt turned me onto Neurtrongena-great product!)

Splurge:
    Fragrance-I :love: BVLGARI and Coco Chanel. My new favorite is Lauder's Pleasures delight
    Benefit's Dr. Feelgood
    Anthropologie -I love their cloths! It is why I keep fit-seriously.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Okay, because I'm too lazy to google right now....what the heck can a $300 hair dryer do that a $20 one can't????? :noway: :noway: I'd better have Farrah/Repunzel hair for $300. :noway: :noway:

Okay..I'll get back in my birdcage & sing....cheep-cheep-cheep!! :laugh:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Here's another splurge -- Amarige de Givenchy at about $45 for 2oz eau de cologne
    It's one of those scents that'll get you l4id :smooched: :blushing: FAST. So if you don't want to wind up preggers, don't buy it.

And another scrimp: Patchouli oil at about $4 for .5 oz. Very earthy - I say it smells like sweet dirt. It's like kryptonite to my man. :blushing: :blushing: needless to say I have 3 different bottles. For anyone who doesn't like it that strong, try 'Fresh Patchouli' by Coty. Patchouli top notes with melon/cucumber bottom notes.
  • AJCM
    Options
    Here's another splurge -- Amarige de Givenchy at about $45 for 2oz eau de cologne
    It's one of those scents that'll get you l4id :smooched: :blushing:

I'm going to check it out tomorrow...
    :wink:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I used to be a BIG skincare/haircare/make-up dept store junkie
    BUT since staying home and having my kiddies...I've found so many great inexpensive products
    ALL of my make-up is from the drugstore...my fav lines are rimmel and milani....love maybelline mascare but i NEED my shiseido eyelash curler...NO decent substitute

As far as my hair, I like some drugstore shampoo/etc but when I want a good hair day I use my coldwell and bumble and bumble products...
    I have an elchemi (sp?) hair dryer....about $80 and has lasted me 10x longer than any dryer I had in the past

I've always been a skincare junkie...have been slathering on $ potions and avoiding the sun since my early 20's
    The best investment I made was seeing a cosmetic derm about a year ago
    I had a laser treatment to get rid of a few very large/dark (odd shaped freckles on my face)
    She put me on the obagi skincare system with a retinoid...
    It was $$ but I'm still using the same products almost 10 months later and can replace the products on line and save a ton
    If anyone has questions, let me know..I also have some before/after pics of my face I can send off
    The change is pretty drastic...

Kim
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Scrimps:

Biore Pore Unclogging Scrub! Really does the job and makes your skin feel great

Caress and Suave Body Washes (Smell great and super cheap, especially Suave)

Herbal Essences Spray Gel (I have naturally curly hair and it does a GREAT job!)

Almay Mascara (the ones for specific eye colors are great. I get the one for hazel eyes)

I like the Neutrogena products as well as the Garnier Nutritioniste Ultra-Life Moisture Cream

SPLURGES:

ANYTHING at Sephora! I love going shopping there.

I really love the Fresh line of products. I wear the "Lemon Sugar" perfume in the summer.

L'Occitane 30-Day Grape Cure! OMG, I have the shower oil (with grapeseed) and the "Beauty Milk" Feels and smells WONDERFUL! The Honey and Lemon products are great too.

Philosophy Body Washes SMELL Heavenly!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I spend on Bare Minerals foundations for the winter, but just use Almay foundation in the summer. (it's more like a tinted moisturizer)

I have approximately 30 Burt's Bees lip balms all over the house. . .so that's a collective "splurge" but an individual "scrimp". They are the best. I also use their day and nighttime moisturizers.

I splurge on eyebrow threading and manicures (when I can. . .I'm about due) And philosophy "purity" cleanser. And I buy health-food-store style bubble baths, so that's sort of a splurge. I have about ten bottles right now (I like variety and choices.)

My new favorite thing is "hot chocolate scrub" by giovanni. It's semi-expensive, but I would eat it with a spoon if I could. I got a "black toe" spinning this spring, so I've been saving money on pedicures by hiding my hideously deformed toenail.

I have tried many pricey perfumes, and the two that always get compliments are an earthy crunchy "Egyptian Musk" oil from the health food store and "skin musk" from the drugstore. (they both break the bank at about ten dollars a bottle)

Oh, and I buy my "normal" clothes at Joe Fresh and Target in Buffalo (shhh. . .don't tell the Niagara border guards) so that I can continue to feed my lululemon and shakti workout wear addictions. I realized today that my workout outfit cost more than the suit I eloped in. Yikes.:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I really love the Fresh line of products. I wear the "Lemon Sugar" perfume in the summer.

They broke my heart when they discontinued "chocolate orange". :sad:
  • AJCM
    Options
    Hi

I used to be a BIG skincare/haircare/make-up dept store junkie
    BUT since staying home and having my kiddies...I've found so many great inexpensive products
    ALL of my make-up is from the drugstore...my fav lines are rimmel and milani....love maybelline mascare but i NEED my shiseido eyelash curler...NO decent substitute

As far as my hair, I like some drugstore shampoo/etc but when I want a good hair day I use my coldwell and bumble and bumble products...
    I have an elchemi (sp?) hair dryer....about $80 and has lasted me 10x longer than any dryer I had in the past

I've always been a skincare junkie...have been slathering on $ potions and avoiding the sun since my early 20's
    The best investment I made was seeing a cosmetic derm about a year ago
    I had a laser treatment to get rid of a few very large/dark (odd shaped freckles on my face)
    She put me on the obagi skincare system with a retinoid...
    It was $$ but I'm still using the same products almost 10 months later and can replace the products on line and save a ton
    If anyone has questions, let me know..I also have some before/after pics of my face I can send off
    The change is pretty drastic...

Kim

Kim - let's talk girl - my face has about 3 dark spots, which I feel I have to cover with makeup - they are that dark!!! Can you tell me about the laser treatment? My derm did recommend a retinoid product that is blended with vitamin C. She never mentioned the laser though! I would LOVE to see B&A pics.