Scrimp vs. Splurge -- from a product junkie!!!!

Options

Replies

• wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I have an unhealthy product obsession. When I walk in to my Sephora, they all know me by name. And I have a friend at the Nars counter at my Neiman Marcus just from going in there so much. He calls me whenever they get new products that would go with my coloring.

My all-time favorites, by brand--
    Smashbox:
    -Photofinish. I absolutely cannot live without this. It is amazing.
    -Photo Op. I have never seen another product like this.
    -Soft lights bronzer. I HATE shimmery bronzers and that seems to be all thats out there. This is pure matte and works perfectly for contouring my cheekbones (to make me look slimmer!).
    -Eye-liner pallet. I ONLY use cream eye liners and this is the very best. And it will not dry out and it will last for years. I have tried the waterproof jet-set and I do not like the formula as much.
    -Peta Pallets: these are such soft, buttery powders. I love them for every-day looks. I have both!
    -Bionic Mascara. This is fairly new but it works GREAT. I am very picky with mascara (I HATE Diorshow. Its clumpy and looks more trashy than classy), and this is my every-day pick!
    -Concealer stick. I have zits but no one can tell with this product!

Nars:
    -Lipstick. I have about twelve shades and this is by far my favorite formula ever.
    -Lip gloss. See comment above.
    -Eye shadow duos. I have never seen better duos and formulas for light, every day looks then Nars.
    -Blush. Every single woman out there should own Orgasm. It is by far the most universally flattering shade and works in almost every single color combination.

Benefit:
    -BadGal Lash mascara. This is the best for big, super full lashes.

Too-Faced:
    -Kabuki Brush. This is the best bang for your buck at $29. It is super soft and the fibers do not hold product in like a lot of natural-bristled brushes.

Lorac:
    -Croc pallet. I just love this pallet of creamy metallic shades! It can be used to achieve just about any look, including Hillary Duff's super smoked out eye makeup.

Michael Kors:
    -Leg Shine. Who knew you could actually contour your legs into looking firmer and leaner? This takes a little practice and patience to get the hang of, but once you do, it is the best product for your legs.

Urban Decay:
    -Primer Potion. If you have not heard of the wonders this product brings, you probably should not be reading this post. I do very dramatic, colorful eye make up and nothing holds it on better than this. Its the best. Period.
    -Delux Shadows: If you are into really bright colors like me, this is one of the best formulas around. The colors blend with almost no effort.

Just a few other tips:
    -My brushes are a mix of Sephora brand, Clinique, and Smashbox with a few random Urban Decays and the Too-Faced kabuki. I also have the brushes from the Bare Minerals make up. I hate those brushes. They are cheaply made and provide no coverage and very little color pay off.
    -Do NOT waste your time or money on Bare Minerals foundation. Anything in Smashbox works so much better and will actually stay on your face. I don't understand the rage of all of this because sure it may look good for like five minutes, but then it just melts away, even with Photofinish.
    -MAC eye color is a waste of your money. You can achieve much better results with a stronger color pay off from other brands, such as Urban Decay. And don't even think about trying MAC Lipglass. Disgusting.

Money Saving tricks:
    -I cannot stress the value of pallets enough! Buy in sets.
    -Also, as you can probably tell, Smashbox is basically my favorite brand. If you are new or you are building your collection, Nordstrom puts out really great "Glamboxes" every couple of months. These are usually $60-$70 but are a GREAT value. I LOVE THESE. I also recently fell in love with the new Foundation set found at Sephora. It is the best.
    -If you are unsure of a color and want to try the look without spending a lot of money, head to the Sephora counter. These products are what you pay for: they are better then drugstore crap but they are not spectacular. They are great for trying those looks, though. And my friend swears by their pressed mineral powder.

The only product worth buying at the drugstore is Chapstick. The rest of it (including every Covergirl, Almay, and Revlon product) is not worth your money. In the world of make up, there is a distinct difference in quality and you should never sacrifice your face to something less then stellar. Department store make up may be expensive, but it is a better investment. After all, aren't we on this site to look and feel great?!

I know this post is long, but I could literally talk about products forever! Hope this helps!

I pretty much just cut and pasted your entire list into my shopping cart at Sephora.com!!!!

Looks like I'll be saving up my per diem for a while so for now I'll just keep on doing a little fantasy shopping here from the Holiday Inn...

LOVE this topic! So many great ideas for fun treats!
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    Kimber -- your pix are amazing -- will definitely book with my derm when I get back to L.A. and I'm going to read up a bit more on the Obagi products.

To any and all L'Occitane junkies out there (Riverside!)...I have this little bottle of "Gentle Cleansing Water" that I'm completely mystified by. Has anyone ever used this? I got it in a gift basket and am not sure what to do with it -- I'm not sure if it's a makeup remover, toner, or just "freshening" spray. Do I wipe it off once I spritz it on?

I love traveling with it...but it confuses me.

:smile:
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    Options
    oh goodness... this thread was just calling my name...

scrimp:

CoverGirl Mascara (the new lash blast = awesome!)

Clean & Clear Facewash (with a bit of table sugar mixed in if I need to exfoliate)

Suave Cocoa Butter with Shea ... i use this EVERY day when i get out of the shower

Splurge:

COACH!!! I am Coach Purse obsessed.. i think of it more as an illness than anything else :happy:

Big Sexy Hair products... they may do the same exact thing as the 3 dollar bottles in Wal-Mart, but i'm not convinced...

Bare Minerals foundation
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Kimber -- your pix are amazing -- will definitely book with my derm when I get back to L.A. and I'm going to read up a bit more on the Obagi products.

To any and all L'Occitane junkies out there (Riverside!)...I have this little bottle of "Gentle Cleansing Water" that I'm completely mystified by. Has anyone ever used this? I got it in a gift basket and am not sure what to do with it -- I'm not sure if it's a makeup remover, toner, or just "freshening" spray. Do I wipe it off once I spritz it on?

I love traveling with it...but it confuses me.

Wandering - I use a similar water - but it is not "cleansing" (I don't know if that refers to some type of soap or cleansing ingredient) but "refreshing" - I use it if I'm travelling and cannot wash my face before reapplying makeup - I spritz it on, then blot off the excess, and then reapply - it would probably be perfect for your line of work! You can also spritz it on your body if you are hot, or if you want a refresher. I use the La Roche Posay line from France (it's big here in Canada, but I'm not sure if you guys have it). Hope that helps!
    :flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    Options
    Big Sexy Hair products... they may do the same exact thing as the 3 dollar bottles in Wal-Mart, but i'm not convinced...

I too LOVE these products! If I'm looking for volume, this is the one! For me, it's better than Bumble, Aveda, etc.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Scrimp---almost everything! lol

Splurge-Vera Bradley bags with matching wallets (what else) & accessories -my wallet has to match the bag. LOL
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Okay, because I'm too lazy to google right now....what the heck can a $300 hair dryer do that a $20 one can't????? :noway: :noway: I'd better have Farrah/Repunzel hair for $300. :noway: :noway:

Okay..I'll get back in my birdcage & sing....cheep-cheep-cheep!! :laugh:

LMAO---I was thinking the same thing......
  • AJCM
    Options
    Scrimp---almost everything! lol

Splurge-Vera Bradley bags with matching wallets (what else) & accessories -my wallet has to match the bag. LOL

I have to ask... so do you change the contents of your wallet every time you change your bag? That is dedication to fashion!!!
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I am also a Joe Fresh yoga clothes addict!!!!!! They are style wise equal to lululemon ( mind you i do have some lululemon stuff) ....but the price is crazy awesome!!!

Splurge...errrr i like to splurge on nice shoes I cant say i own a pair of shoes that i didnt pay over 70$ for...and perfume... i dont like to smell cheap lol
  • AJCM
    Options
    I am also a Joe Fresh yoga clothes addict!!!!!! They are style wise equal to lululemon ( mind you i do have some lululemon stuff) ....but the price is crazy awesome!!!

Splurge...errrr i like to splurge on nice shoes I cant say i own a pair of shoes that i didnt pay over 70$ for...and perfume... i dont like to smell cheap lol

Don't you LOVE Joe!!!! I recently got their jeans for $6.94 each (I find them similar to Gap's Long and Lean which I paid $80 for! ugh!) - so as I go down in sizes, I don't mind getting some new pieces!
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options

Don't you LOVE Joe!!!! I recently got their jeans for $6.94 each (I find them similar to Gap's Long and Lean which I paid $80 for! ugh!) - so as I go down in sizes, I don't mind getting some new pieces!

I have never bought their Jeans before because I dont think i ever fit into them before now lol ... but now im in a size 14/16 i might be able to find a pair that fit me :bigsmile: I wonder what size they go up to???? mind you if they fit big then im probably good in a 14 ... and im pretty sure they have 14's but i have also a bunch of t shirts that are joe fresh and they are xl and getting too big:wink: need some new clothes again.... woohoo lol
  • AJCM
    Options

I have never bought their Jeans before because I dont think i ever fit into them before now lol ... but now im in a size 14/16 i might be able to find a pair that fit me :bigsmile: I wonder what size they go up to???? mind you if they fit big then im probably good in a 14 ... and im pretty sure they have 14's but i have also a bunch of t shirts that are joe fresh and they are xl and getting too big:wink: need some new clothes again.... woohoo lol

I think Joe goes to size 16 - their sizes are generous though, similar to the Gap or Old Navy. I think you've got to get there!

In other news, if you pay the mailing, I will send you all the clothes that no longer fit. I have some 14's, 12's and 10's. Most are recently purchased (I had to buy almost a whole wardrobe (14's and 12's) after I had my daughter as none of my old clothes fit). There are some great basics (Gap jeans, Jacob dress pants, etc). I've already given some away, but I think I still have some great pieces. Let me know.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

Just had to jump back in with a goodie I forgot to post
    Natura Bisse peels....they ROCK!
    They are pricey...you canbuy them from Neiman Marcus of get sample packets from ebay (which is what I do)
    Beware if u have sensitive skin...these are potent but they work like nothing else...
    I just used a peel last night to fade some red marks from some past breakouts and overnight it's made a huge difference!

Kim
  • AJCM
    Options
    Hi

Just had to jump back in with a goodie I forgot to post
    Natura Bisse peels....they ROCK!
    They are pricey...you canbuy them from Neiman Marcus of get sample packets from ebay (which is what I do)
    Beware if u have sensitive skin...these are potent but they work like nothing else...
    I just used a peel last night to fade some red marks from some past breakouts and overnight it's made a huge difference!

Kim

Kim - you are a SERIOUS skin product junkie!!! You should be working for a cosmetics company!!!
    :flowerforyou: :tongue:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm a total skincare junkie
    When the kids go back to school I would love to work for a skincare line (maybe even a high end dept store...but I heard it can be pretty brutal/ugly)

Kim
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    OMG the most amazing thing happened!!!!

So as you know I was looking for some products to splurge on after a really tough few weeks filming. I had saved up my per diem and went a little crazy at beauty.com and drugstore.com. I bought tons of stuff and splurged on lots of Method cleaning products for the house, and then lots of lovely beauty stuff for myself.

Total spent: $250.

Anyway, so I come home from the shoot and there's a huge box with half of the order in it. Then I get an email saying that the shipment was damaged in transit and they are replacing it for FREE! So they are re-issuing ALL of it.

I am in product heaven!!!!

I'm giving some away to my sis, Freecycling some other stuff, and enjoying the rest!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    OMG the most amazing thing happened!!!!

So as you know I was looking for some products to splurge on after a really tough few weeks filming. I had saved up my per diem and went a little crazy at beauty.com and drugstore.com. I bought tons of stuff and splurged on lots of Method cleaning products for the house, and then lots of lovely beauty stuff for myself.

Total spent: $250.

Anyway, so I come home from the shoot and there's a huge box with half of the order in it. Then I get an email saying that the shipment was damaged in transit and they are replacing it for FREE! So they are re-issuing ALL of it.

I am in product heaven!!!!

I'm giving some away to my sis, Freecycling some other stuff, and enjoying the rest!
    WOW! Lucky you!! I am SO jealous!!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    I know!

I'm in bed, rolling around in all my products like Demi Moore in "Indecent Proposal"...!!!!!
  • Juliebean
    Juliebean Posts: 317
    Options
    So I love the "Scrimp vs. Splurge" columns they sometimes have in fashion magazines, talking about which beauty products are worth the money and which are just bunk.

Now that I'm on the road so much, I've decided to treat myself to a few new beauty boosts...and I'd love your opinion on what's worth the money!

Anyone want to weigh in on their "can't live without" products -- whether cheapie or expensive?

For me:
    Scrimp
    * Bonne Bell Lip Smackers are the best! I wear them alone or under lipstick
    * Vaseline -- still the best for dry lips and because it's not liquid, I put it in a tiny little jar for traveling and use it for everything -- hands, feet, eye cream, lips, etc.
    * Neutrogena moistureizers -- read the reviews on Consumer Reports which said these ones with Retinol are just as good, if not better than, the super expensive creams
    * Bath products -- I make all my own, using various combinations of honey, milk, lavender oil, baking soda, olive oil, cornstarch, oatmeal, or whatever else I have on hand. I love that they are all-natural and feel sooooo good!
    * Burts Bees Orange Wax lotion -- LOVE the smell and the feel of this lotion

Splurge:
    * I'm looking at the T3 Bespoke hair dryer but it's $300!!!! Is that really worth the money?
    * Fekkai Technician shampoo and conditioner -- $35 each and worth every penny
    * Nars Monoi shimmery body oil -- I love this and it makes my skin glowy!
    * Perfume -- Worth the money, to me
    * Christian Dior and/ or Vincent Longo mascara -- LOVE both of these!

That's less than $1 a day for the use of the hairdryer... And after the first year it's "free!" I can justify anything! :wink:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I know!

I'm in bed, rolling around in all my products like Demi Moore in "Indecent Proposal"...!!!!!
    :laugh: :laugh: That's funny! When I walk into Sephora, I stop and just take it all in for a second before I wander around. I just get happy immediately upon entry! The product mecca! :bigsmile: