Help Please! What mix cardio:weights to lose weight?!

Options

Replies

• llbennett74
    llbennett74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Absolutely do both! If for any other reason, it keeps your skin from sagging as you lose and you look better in the end. You should aim for 2 to 3 days of strength training a week.
  • nicole060308
    nicole060308 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i LOVE the 30 day shred by jillian michaels. she mixes 3 min of strength 2 min cardio and 1 min abs. its a 20 min workout. its about 10 bucks at walmart.
    hope this helps
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

1) Please cite sources.

lol - Google is your friend! Sorry for the brush off and no malice intended, I'm already too undproductive this afternoon and I have one more report to do before I leave. If I've got my old bookmarked links at home I'll post them.
    Anyway, if I still have the links, I'll post them later

Since I don't have reports to do today :laugh:

TL;DR ... Glutamine is an amino acid (building block of protein). It’s use has been shown to mitigate LBM in individuals suffering from severe illness or injury and in one study endurance athletes in heavy training but not exercisers who work out at moderate intensity

(note, I know these aren’t the highest quality sources, but the do, in general, cite their sources. I didn’t include anything from body building websites, especially since they were SELLING THE PRODUCT :noway:)

From Wikipedia:
    Glutamine (abbreviated as Gln or Q) is one of the 20 amino acids encoded by the standard genetic code. …

In catabolic states of injury and illness, glutamine becomes conditionally essential (requiring intake from food or supplements).[8] Glutamine has been studied extensively over the past 10–15 years, and has been shown to be useful in treatment of injuries, trauma, burns, and treatment-related side effects of cancer, as well as in wound healing for postoperative patients.

From WebMD
    Glutamine is used to counter some of the side effects of medical treatments. For example, it is used for side effects of cancer chemotherapy including diarrhea, pain and swelling inside the mouth (mucositis), nerve pain (neuropathy), and muscle and joint pains caused by the cancer drug Taxol. Glutamine is also used to protect the immune system and digestive system in people undergoing radiochemotherapy for cancer of the esophagus. Additionally, glutamine is used for improving recovery after bone marrow transplant or bowel surgery, increasing well-being in people who have suffered traumatic injuries, and preventing infections in critically ill people.

Some people use glutamine for digestive system conditions such as stomach ulcers, ulcerative colitis, and Crohn’s disease. It is also used for depression, moodiness, irritability, anxiety, insomnia, and enhancing exercise performance.

People who have HIV (AIDS) sometimes use glutamine to prevent weight loss (HIV wasting).

From Univeristy of Maryland Medical Center (who also stated most of the above)
    Athletes
    Athletes who train for endurance events (like marathons) may reduce the amount of glutamine in their bodies. It’s common for them to catch a cold after an athletic event. Some experts think that may be because of the role glutamine plays in the immune system. For this select group of athletes, one study showed that taking glutamine supplements resulted in fewer infections. The same is not true, however, for exercisers who work out at a moderate intensity.

Source: Glutamine | University of Maryland Medical Center http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/glutamine#ixzz2e7lxNZUE
    University of Maryland Medical Center
    Follow us: @UMMC on Twitter | MedCenter on Facebook

So, I'll stick with lifting weights and eating 1 g protein per lb LBM, thanks
  • wibblefps
    Options

I prefer to refer to things like this:

Glutamine is one of the 20 naturally occurring amino acids in dietary protein, specifically it is a conditionally essential amino acid (being elevated to essential during periods of disease and muscle wasting typical of physical trauma). It is sold as an isolated amino acids as well as being found in high levels in dietary meats and eggs. It is found in very high levels in both whey and casein protein.

Glutamine is a very effective intestinal and immune system health compound, as these cells use glutamine as the preferred fuel source rather than glucose.

It is generally touted as a Muscle Builder, but has not been proven to enhance muscle building in healthy individuals; only those suffering from physical trauma such as burns or muscular wounds (knife wounds) or in disease states in which muscle wasting occurs, such as AIDS. In these individuals, however, glutamine is effective at building muscle and alleviating a decrease in muscle mass typical of the ailment.

http://examine.com/supplements/Glutamine/

Good spot, which reminds me, I try to run around 10k every other day but if I don't take glutamine then I, point blank, can't sustain it. Not specifically about LBM retention per se but noteworthy
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread you guys have going on here...

79Yeo.gif
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Neither:

Calorie deficit to lose weight.

Strength Training to preserve Lean Body Mass (Bone density, muscle tissue, etc) and make you stronger

Cardio for Heart Health, Muscular Endurance.

This right here. I'll add that cardio is a very good way to help get into that calorie deficit, especially if you have trouble eating less food (like myself)

I beg you to ignore everything else you have read except this. The top part and adding the part about doing cardio if you would like to be able to eat a little more and still lose weight.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread you guys have going on here...

79Yeo.gif

I'm not going to lie- I am kind of hoping it devolves into the train wreck like the other female lifting one- only because I'm seriously freezing and bored to tears at work.

I need something to keep me occupied and not bored. :D
  • wibblefps
    Options
    "Good post" - not sure. Entertaining, definitely,

Anyway, some references:

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/269/2/E309
    http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-06162005-142747/unrestricted/Piattoly_thesis.pdf
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/how-glutamine-benefits-training.htm
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/440031-l-glutamine-for-muscle-recovery/
    http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/18974721/reload=1;jsessionid=rCYZunwV2cixUv8CjMtE.28

While it's all well and good, citing references pursuant for muscle recovery, it should be noted that these are not entirely focussed on the point specifically about LBM retention. Obviously there's the case for tissue recovery as a result of skeletel stress and tissue decompostion (e.g. after hard exercise) but that is not quite the same as stating that LBM remains constant as a result of cardio, as opposed to weights (which is what has happened for me).

The anecdotal example for me which does lend credence (for me!) was after the massive trauma to my right side resulting in 3 months of immobilisation, to that side, which should've caused atrophy and emaciation in the LBM of the right side of my body when compared to my left which was still working. The actual result, with the glutamamine regimen, was negligible muscular atrophy on the right side when compared to the left, QED the LBM had been retained but that isn't 'quite' what the above references discuss.

Of course the easy solution is suck it and see. If it works for you like it has for me then great, if not then the worst that has happened is that your CV fitness will have gone up!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Weights will not make you bulk up, btw.

I will respectfully caveat this with the observation that heavy weights are likely to make one bulk up.

You have to try pretty hard to bulk up as a female. It's not going to happen accidentally with regular weight lifting.
  • wibblefps
    Options

I will respectfully caveat this with the observation that heavy weights are likely to make one bulk up.

You have to try pretty hard to bulk up as a female. It's not going to happen accidentally with regular weight lifting.

Good point. From a guys POV it's annoying how quickly I bulk with heavy weight so I stay away from them. Never tested this as a woman.... /:-|
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I want to go to this accidental place where bulking happens.

:( It's a magical land somewhere and I am SURE it exists... I'd like to go there- all this hard work and chit... it's a waste of time if I could just get to the magical 'accidental bulking' gym. <le sigh>
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

I want to go to this accidental place where bulking happens.

:( It's a magical land somewhere and I am SURE it exists... I'd like to go there- all this hard work and chit... it's a waste of time if I could just get to the magical 'accidental bulking' gym. <le sigh>

All you have to do is believe. If you believe, and you clap your hands, you can find it!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Good point. From a guys POV it's annoying how quickly I bulk with heavy weight so I stay away from them. Never tested this as a woman.... /:-|
    From a guys perspective....no, you don't "bulk" quickly. No one bulks quickly. Are there noob gains and water retention right away....of course...but that's not even close to bulk. It takes extreme amounts of work and a specific caloric surplus diet. A pro bodybuilder will struggle to "quickly" put on mass.

My I bench almost 300lbs and am far..................from "bulked", because I don't eat at a surplus.
  • wibblefps
    Options
    Guess, I've just been unlucky then. I push heavy weights, I bulk up quickly. Learned that over 26 years of gym. I have wondered if it's because I used to bulk deliberately, years ago and if, therefore, it makes it easier to repeat later. That is a complete guess however. Either way, the red muscle goes on quick if I push the heavy weights
  • RGv2
    Options
    Guess, I've just been unlucky then. I push heavy weights, I bulk up quickly. Learned that over 26 years of gym. I have wondered if it's because I used to bulk deliberately, years ago and if, therefore, it makes it easier to repeat later. That is a complete guess however. Either way, the red muscle goes on quick if I push the heavy weights

If you used to bulk deliberately, yes, you can REGAIN your muscle mass quickly through the same phenomenon as noob gains. That's not"bulking up"
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    "Good post" - not sure. Entertaining, definitely,

Anyway, some references:

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/269/2/E309
    http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-06162005-142747/unrestricted/Piattoly_thesis.pdf
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/how-glutamine-benefits-training.htm
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/440031-l-glutamine-for-muscle-recovery/
    http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/18974721/reload=1;jsessionid=rCYZunwV2cixUv8CjMtE.28

While it's all well and good, citing references pursuant for muscle recovery, it should be noted that these are not entirely focussed on the point specifically about LBM retention. Obviously there's the case for tissue recovery as a result of skeletel stress and tissue decompostion (e.g. after hard exercise) but that is not quite the same as stating that LBM remains constant as a result of cardio, as opposed to weights (which is what has happened for me).

The anecdotal example for me which does lend credence (for me!) was after the massive trauma to my right side resulting in 3 months of immobilisation, to that side, which should've caused atrophy and emaciation in the LBM of the right side of my body when compared to my left which was still working. The actual result, with the glutamamine regimen, was negligible muscular atrophy on the right side when compared to the left, QED the LBM had been retained but that isn't 'quite' what the above references discuss.

Of course the easy solution is suck it and see. If it works for you like it has for me then great, if not then the worst that has happened is that your CV fitness will have gone up!

You cannot equate taking glutamine after trauma to using it to maintain LBM, especially while cutting, as the sources previously indicate. Context is very relevant.

I am not about to experiment with something that has no proven efficacy - as if it does not work..I lose hard earned LBM...not happening.

Also, being in a caloric deficit is very different than maintaining or being in a surplus re LBM retention.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Obviously you have different goals to others.

Women have about 1/16th of the testosterone that men do. "Bulking" quickly is not an issue for us (well, other than some women who state that they bulk easily on here!).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Neither:

Calorie deficit to lose weight.

Strength Training to preserve Lean Body Mass (Bone density, muscle tissue, etc) and make you stronger

Cardio for Heart Health, Muscular Endurance.

This right here. I'll add that cardio is a very good way to help get into that calorie deficit, especially if you have trouble eating less food (like myself)

i second this.

Sorry for getting distracted OP. ^^this basically sums up the answer to your question.
  • RGv2
    Options

Obviously you have different goals to others.

"Bulking" quickly is not an issue for us (well, other than some women who state that they bulk easily on here!).

.....or Men.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to jump in here and point out that the op is male. I feel this may have been overlooked :drinker:

Op: do both in whatever order works for you. I prefer weights first as I have more energy for them and they make me feel kick *kitten*, oddly I feel this gives me more energy for my cardio afterwards -I prefer HIIT for the cardio. But if cardio first works best for you then go for it.

The most import at thing is that you do what you enjoy and can stick with.