Overweight Fitness Instructor - thoughts?

Options
124»

Replies

• AmandaMonique
    Options
    GO FOR IT!

Like others have said, you'll be inspiring to those who aren't that fit right now and it'll be less intimidating. And they'll see you (No offense, I didn't even look at your stats or anything) doing it and it'll seem more attainable. Plus, you won't always be overweight and it'll help you stay more strict on yourself if you have to be instructing others.

GOOD LUCK!
  • Fesse
    Fesse Posts: 611
    Options
    YES DO IT !!!!!
  • neyes67
    neyes67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    GO FOR IT! :flowerforyou:
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I think it would be WAY less intimidating to see someone that I can relate to teaching a class! You should definitely go for it!

agreed. do it!
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would rather take a class with someone who isn't 100% fit. Don't let your weight hold you back, I'm sure whether you're a little bit overweight, or fit, you would make a great teacher! Just go for it and have fun!
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I think it would be WAY less intimidating to see someone that I can relate to teaching a class! You should definitely go for it!

I agree! Go for it!

M
  • abroughton1978
    Options
    Very well said.....break the stereotype of "skinny" instructors!!!! Go for it!!
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    One of my aerobic fitness instructors is by no means what I would call slim, and I love her. She's in great shape, she looks fabulous, and she has a great attitude. What more could you ask for?
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Do it! That would be awesome and you would be my hero! I would definitely rather be in a person's class who I can identify with rather than in a class with a bunch of skinny Minnie's making me feel uncomfortable!
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to go to a class with someone closer to my own size!!! It would be FAR less intimidating, and if you lost weight & the regulars saw it would only encourage them to keep doing the same.

DO IT!
  • ksavvy
    ksavvy Posts: 52
    Options
    Being a fitness instructor is about sharing your passion for what you do, not about how you look. Also, imagine how inspiring it will be for others to see you following your passion, and getting healthier and fitter in the process. Totally go for it!
    (I took the leap to cycling instructor 3 weeks ago...)
    Good Luck!
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting ie sad that there seems to be a bit of a reverse discrimination on this topic. I mean, if someone told us - a person interested in taking a class - that we were too fat to take a class, we'd be up in arms. We don't know anyone's story. I just find it odd that those of us who are now fit or fitter don't remember where we started.

I say do it. You never know much you might be the key that helps someone to find their inner dancer, athlete and become confident. Size has nothing to do with skill.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    It would be AWESOME if you did it!! I would go! Zumba is fantastic! You're fantastic! It's a perfect match!
  • Clonekuh
    Clonekuh Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'd go!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Do it

Zumba is all about the people taking the class and how the students feel, its not about how the instructor looks.

If you are passionate, people will see it irregardless of size.
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Thank you to absolutely everyone for your thoughts. It looks like about 99.5% are in favor! I have several people that want me to do it - I think I shall - now, to figure out where to start! This just gives me that much more motivation! I'll keep everyone updated!
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'd prefer it!
    Must less intimidating!
    Plus, I'd get to see the instructor slim down along with me!
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I am overweight and I just got my Zumba license. I am currently teaching a class at the Y and so far so good. I have lots of people in my class who love it and approach me to talk about getting in shape or asking what I do to keep my endurance up.

Becoming an instructor will take you to a whole new fitness level and you will work out more just for preparation for the class.

Follow your dreams girl! Go for it!