super fat , working out is hard.. what are good ways to star

Options
SO, my boy friend wants me to go to the gym with him and im cool with that but, im like almost 300 and its really hard for me to keep up with him [170] , and he doesnt seem to get that i cannot do the same things as him.

its really embarrassing telling your bf of two years that your too out of shape to do pretty much anything at the gym without feeling like im about to throw up or pass out..

please someone suggest things that i can do at the gym without feeling like i am going to die ?

thanks

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Circuit training!
    It helps get your blood pumping;
    and burns calories even after you're done!
  • kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    try walking slowly on the treadmill while he works out...remind him that you need to start slow...

My husband used to forget that I couldn't do as much as him when I was 256 lbs... now I'm 178, and I would say I'm almost in better shape than him!
  • inkdgirl
    inkdgirl Posts: 79
    Options
    cardio, start out on the treadmill

then move to elliptical.. you can work at your own pace and resistance
  • MinaLaChangita
    Options
    I think that you should start off slow for sure. I feel that it's easier setting 5 pounds weight loss goals at a time. Walking would be a good way to start. At least 30 minutes at a steady pace. Then gradually increase the speed. Also, working on the elliptical could be good for you too.

:]

-buena suerte.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Walking on the tread mill
  • vcmorse
    vcmorse Posts: 18
    Options
    im just super frustrated cause it makes me feel like **** that i cant do anything!!
  • nicmacc
    nicmacc Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Why dont you suggest you go for a walk on the weekend? Walking is the best place to start and you can make it interesting by having a destination to walk to! You can build up from there. If you start out too hard at the gym you will hate it!
  • joannbuist23
    joannbuist23 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was going to say elliptical, those are actually really easy to use and don't take a lot of effort if you are going at a slow pace. Start out slow and the more you do it the easier it will get. Good luck!
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    im 270ish and i do the elliptical... i can not stand the treadmill.. i just hate it! i feel like im going to fall off.. swimming is good too...walking out side is good too..
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Just don't give up whatever you do. Take it slow - treat yourself kindly. You'll get there!
  • shelbylward
    Options
    Try the treadmill at a comfortabel pace(no incline) to start with. See if you can go 15 to 20 minutes. I would start out easy and work your way into it. Otherwise, you will hurt yourself or burn yourself out. Good luck!!
  • SusieB01
    SusieB01 Posts: 89
    Options
    I agree with slow walking on the tredmill. But, you should just tell your boyfriend that you need to start slow. Hopefully, he's just trying to help you to get active by inviting you to the gym. But, DON'T OVER DO IT! THAT CAN BE DANGEROUS! If he's been exercising a while, he should know that.
  • Clonekuh
    Clonekuh Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I started out on the elliptical. I could only do like 15 minutes max on level 1 at first, but it was a good start. Also, throw in some weights! Your man can spot you.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    cardio...walking is the best. start slow and build your pace (if you can)

I'm bigger than you and this is how I started. I do Yoga now for about an hour...it gradually gets easier.
  • TLW77
    TLW77 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You can see my stats below, I started out at 277 and I started walking on the treadmill. I know its intimitating to go to the gym and work out in from of other people, but if you want to lose weight you just need to do this for yourself. Go in there and only think about yourself and what you want to accomplish and you will forget other people are even in there.
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    this happend with me and my husband who is a muay thai fighter... I had to sit down with him and explain to him that i need to do this with baby steps. men just dont get it sometimes! LOL
  • ashleymcquown
    Options
    maybe start off slow by walking on the treadmill? i know gyms can be intimidating. shoot for something simple that you can do consistently. some gyms offer classes for beginners too. if you are comfortable, try a low impact water aerobics class. its a great workout and easy on the joints.
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    For best advice, ask the staff or get a personal trainer. They won't try and give you more than you can do and they'll help you find a level that's good for you.
  • vcmorse
    vcmorse Posts: 18
    Options
    i usually go on the recumbant bike but it seems my butt has gotton to big for it... so i have to find other options.

i use to be able to do some cardio machine for like 30 min nonstop but now after about 5 i feel as if im going to die,

when i go to the gym with my bf he likes to stay for around 2-3 hrs, so when i go, i start out on the bike, feel like ****, and have about 2 hrs to kill trying to think of things to do that won't make me pass out..

iv been trying to tell him i would honestly like to try working out at home first { i have a excersize bike} and then when i can stay on that for more that 30 min, start going to the gym.
  • lachicadelfuego
    lachicadelfuego Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    ANY movement is a start. I started out at 272 and had a super hard time as well. I have only lost 13 lbs but find it easier to exercise now. Just remember to not get too frustrated and give up. Even you begin with a slow walk around your neighborhood like i did, it will eventually pay off.