Does everyone hit the gym?

Options
13»

Replies

• heather0709
    heather0709 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I used to take the kids with me to the gym. But my youngest started to cry when I would drop him off so i canceled my membership. Right now I'm doing P90X, I have 2 months left and hoping to start Insanity after.

That's my issue my kids would cry lol what is o90x
  • crewellademel
    crewellademel Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym either. I can't afford it either in time or money. I started out with a reclining excercise bike as well and it is still my major source of excercise. My family gave me some 2lb and 5lb weights for Christmas so I use those. We also have a bowflex. When I have traveled and use the fitness center at the hotel gyms, I sure have enjoyed both the treadmill and the ellipticals. I would very much like to add one of those since it helps keep things from getting too routine, both for me AND my body, so I'm saving up and watching the classifieds (I think excercise equipement is like piano's and paperclips there are all ready enough of them out there in the world! Don't buy new just find one someone has that they don't use anymore). Now it just becomes a matter of finding the room, and deciding where to put it! :flowerforyou:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym - but this is my first time in my weight loss journey that I've done so. In the past, I always tried to do it from home with little to no long term success. I pay $25/month for unlimited (24/7/365) access to my gym. Since I can go anytime I want to go - I usually wait til later at night to go since it isn't as busy. I don't like going and having to wait for someone to be done with the machine or weights I want to use. There are times when I think having to pay that $25 is what keeps me on track and motivated - nothing like spending hard earned money to keep you going - especially on the days when I wanna curl up on the couch and sleep.

Treadmills will give you a full body workout and overall, I think they are one the best machines for weight loss. They offer so many options that it's a nice way to go. Get a nice one though - and not a manual one.

I have started using my Tae Bo dvds again just for a little change up in my routine, but overall -- I just use the gym.

Oh and as hard as it is to eeck out the time to go sometimes -- I do enjoy the "me" time that the gym offers me. I have 2 teenagers and being able to go and do my own thing is nice. When I workout at home, they want to bug me constantly. (And so does my dog, who can't understand what "go on" means when it comes time for me to workout.. lol). Everyone needs "me" time and I view the gym as my "me" time. :)
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym. There are SO many other ways to be active.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of joining and the saw that it was 84 bucks a months plus some additional fees and don't forget my babysitting fees for the two kiddos I have at home. Sorry, it just doesn't fit into the budget right now. I do what I can at home. Now I just need to step up my game.
  • DeeDeeMarie
    Options
    i used to be obsessed and hit the gym twice a day.... i quit my job which was near my gym and starting working on my fiance's farm and havent been to the gym since, i am continuing to lose but am going to invest in a treadmill with an incline, so no hun you are not the only one not hitting the gym
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I love going to the gym, we have a some dumbells, an eliptical, and a flat bench that has an attachment to work your quads and hamstrings at home, but I never use that stuff. I wouldn't work out if it wasn't for the gym! It is on my way to school so I just go before and get ready there in the morning. I also like that there are more options for machines to lift with and cardio machines at the gym.
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    You can also 'rent' workout DVDs on the Netflix Instant Queue if you use that. That way you're not spending $$ on DVDs.

I never thought of that. Can you recommend any in particular that they have, ones that don't involve a lot of dancing?

Crunch ones are good the libary also had every workout DVD :)

I like Tony Little's Private Session Total Body Loss as a starter....he recommends doing that 3x a week for 12 weeks then add another one of his and doing cardio on the opposite days with Sunday as a day of rest
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    No gym here. Last time around I lost 40+ lbs by walking and doing basic exercises at home (exercise bike, pushups, crunches, plank, tricep dips). I didn't follow a set schedule, either, I just fit it in. Bike and a quick routine after the kids were in bed, or walking with 1yo on my back while 3yo had time at Grammie's house. Lunges/squats in the kitchen, tricep dips off the toilet while the kids were in the tub... I just made it work.

Now we're posted away from family so I don't have a convenient free babysitter, and hubby takes the car to work so I can't bring them to the one friend who would babysit for free. So even though we do have a gym membership, I don't use it. I've got some Wii games (Gold's Gym, Jillian Michaels, Wii Fit), a few DVDs, still have my bike, and now that it's warmed up I've been going for a brisk walk in the evening at whatever time works.

After hitting the 30's, with all the associated hormonal changes, I am finding it even more crucial to pay attention to diet - reducing sugar is a big one.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    No. I don't like gyms. I have a local aerobics class I do in the hall next to my son's nursery, and I do boot camps with the same instructor twice a week as well. I also run and cycle.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I love my gym... it's a county rec. center, so not at all a meat market. Lots of young couples, young families, older retired folks. It's also affordable. Now, it's not fancy at all. More like a high school gym with workout equipment.

But I like to go to the gym because it provides me with a nice variety of exercises. I've only been going for about a year now. For the first six months or so, I just went for a swim once or twice a week after work or once on the weekend. I skipped out most of November and December because of illness, travel, holidays, blah, blah, blah... but got back to going in January.

It's literally a block away, but I probably wouldn't have joined if it wasn't so close. When we lived way out in the sticks, there's no way I'd have belonged to a gym. It would have meant commuting nearly an hour just to get there!

I also swim in our neighborhood pool, take long walks on a nearby trail, do a lot of commuting by foot for school and work, walk the dog twice a day, go to the occasional yoga class, and do the occasional yoga DVD (Netflix is awesome... I love not having to invest in DVDs that I'll eventually get bored of doing.).
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    one other thing that helps me with my gym is it is close to myhouse infact i drive by it every day on the way home. Picked it for that reason. as it makes it that there is NO excuse not to work out, though at this point i look forward to it

I have to drive by my gym to get home from work, so it makes me feel like I should stop and workout. I keep my clothes in my car. It's easier to stop BEFORE I have a chance to get home and relax. :)
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    I don't go to the gym either. First off, I do not particularly want to be next to a slender person on the treadmill as they run and I am walking....do not have cute work out clothes..somehow, sleep pants and a tshirt doesn't cut it .....and my work hours do not always fit so I would be paying for something that I am not able to use 3-5x a week. So, I have an air stepper, Zumba fittness workout system, Tony Little's Private Session DVD's, and even Richard Simmon's Sweatin to the Oldies. Keeps me busy for sure...and it doesn't matter what I wear!

At my gym, no one pays any attention to what the person next to them is doing. You're so involved with your own workout that you don't care what someone else is doing. Or at least I don't.

There are a lot of 24/7 access gyms so you can go when it is convenient for you. I work second shift, so a gym only open from 8am-10pm isn't going to work for me.

As for cute workout clothes. Ha. I wear a pair of guy's cotton shorts and a tshirt or tank top. I find most "workout" clothes to be very tight and uncomfortable. Plus, I have a ton of shorts and tshirts. So, I just wear those. There are very few people at my gym who wear "cute clothes".
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Nah, I don't. It is easier for me to work out at home in between my crazy life moments.

I have been thinking of joining, but trying to figure out how to justify the cost. I would have to go like 5 times a week for me to feel like I am getting my money's worth....and quite honestly, I cannot see that happening with 2 jobs and being a single mom!!

Who knows...I may yet develop into a gym rat one day.......

I had a membership and then didn't go enough to justify the cost so I know what you mean. Now I just do it at home. Made our spare bedroom into a mini gym and slowly collecting gym equipment through yard sales. You wouldn't believe how many people buy gym stuff and never use it so they sell it. My favorite is the kettle ball a wave master (punching bag)!
  • dlynn08
    dlynn08 Posts: 57
    Options
    If you're interested in a membership and don't want to pay the big bucks...check out Planet Fitness. $10/month!
  • RedRage00
    RedRage00 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I live in Houston and there are like 5 24HR Fitness gyms within 5 miles of me. I go to the gym because I like to GET OUT of the house (or apt in my case). I don't wanna be stuck at home.

I also run outside a few times a week.
  • joegeiselman
    joegeiselman Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm a big propenent of resistance / weight training, although it can be really difficult to get to a gym depending on your other commitments. I'm lucky enough to have a job with a gym on site, and they even give me an hour of physical fitness time during the day, everyday!

IMO its not the gym thats important, its the exercises. I see a lot of posts on here of people buying cardio equipment... Getting your heart rate up is getting your heart rate up. It doesnt matter if its a treadmill, elliptical, bike or sidewalk. Getting a bench (or coffee table!) and some free weights will pay much better dividends for the money. Walk/run outside!