Pisses me off....

Options

Replies

• dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    There was a wedding? Who got married?

Just kidding.

Around the office, several of the ladies are all excited about it. (Its kind of fun to see people happy, I'm not going to spoil their day.) I'm guessing they're giddy for a couple of reasons. First, its a _WEDDING_. Most people and especially women love a good wedding. Second, there's a real-life bona-fide prince and princess (okay, duke and duchess). You have any idea as to how many women dreamed of fairy tale princess weddings when they were little girls?

I imagine that several women secretly wish they owned a tiara and have a prince to marry them.
    Meanwhile, guys, let's face it. We're secretly wondering if there's an open bar at the reception. :)
  • debbieemmett
    Options
    its history in the making...when something bad happens in the usa, its on our news here in the uk all the time....i was in london the other day and theres many many americans there that are interested in the wedding....id rather watch this then listen to bad things that are going on around the world...but then im british so i would say that... :)
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    The freedom of the internet allows you filter out news stories you don't want to know about. That has some good and bad points to it, but it is what it is.

My point is, I don't know those people...so why should I care about their wedding? The only reason I know about it is pop culture and general conversation. Other than that, I've done a good job of keeping it out of my life.
    But the wedding news is popping up on my RSS feeds everywhere unfortunately.
  • binary_jester
    Options
    I am curious. So the people who WANT to focus on the wedding are...bad? Inconsiderate?

That is like saying I could not go to a movie because there was a tsunami in Japan.

Not at all what I was saying.. but thanks...
    Then why this statement?

"It is annoying as H3ll and I do not see why people care so much over here. It would be one thing if this was an american marriage but it is not. Nothing against any of you who live on the other side of the drink but come on. "
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, those of us who live here in the South take care of each other and are deeply committed to helping our neighbors. You would not believe the level of volunteering that happens during these tragedies. Next week marks the 1 yr anniv of the huge 2010 Nashville flood (and the storms this week brought back terrible memories for lots of Tennesseans), and I'm reminded of the tremendous generosity and volunteer spirit of local people, despite the fact that there was little news coverage of the disaster at the national level. Wednesday was really scary, but I didn't lose anyone or any more than a few trees, so I just can't speak for those who have suffered or imagine how life is upside down for so many in Alabama. But I know, without a doubt, people will be mobilizing today to help their neighbors. They'll give money and, more importantly, they'll be volunteering for cleanup crews in those neighborhoods or where they're needed. So I don't mind if the wedding is on all TV channels today - the real work is already happening.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I am curious. So the people who WANT to focus on the wedding are...bad? Inconsiderate?

That is like saying I could not go to a movie because there was a tsunami in Japan.

Then why this statement?

"It is annoying as H3ll and I do not see why people care so much over here. It would be one thing if this was an american marriage but it is not. Nothing against any of you who live on the other side of the drink but come on. "

Its annoying to me and others as people are stating.. That does not make people like you who want to watch it bad or inconsiderate. If that was the case 75% of the crap around me would be bad or inconsiderate.
  • LaPistolaSexola
    LaPistolaSexola Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    oh hellllllllllllllll no
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Thanks but I am guy.
  • binary_jester
    Options

Then why this statement?

Its annoying to me and others as people are stating.. That does not make people like you who want to watch it bad or inconsiderate. If that was the case 75% of the crap around me would be bad or inconsiderate.

I was clarifying your statement, especially since you find people's fascination annoying (no, not the media since you have separated the two).
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    RodneyKing.jpg
  • binary_jester
    Options
    Thanks but I am guy.

I think if you make a statement, stand behind it. It is unfair to blame the media. They rely on getting viewers and obviously if there is a market for the wedding, they are going to show it. He admitted he was annoyed with people watching. he feels they should be caring about the tornadoes. That's fine.
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Oh the insanity. I think he was just saying this: We are paying an awful lot of attention to the royal wedding...forexmple, today on FX from 9am-2pm they are doing a special on the wedding. It is featured on EVERY news channel (including ESPN!, really???) And while we have short blurbs about what is going on with the victims of the weather issues our country has experienced...it has definitely been pushed aside to cover the RW. I do agree that it is a one-in-a-lifetime thing...and if you want to follow it thats up to you and fantastic...nothing against you! BUT I am sick of people asking me if I am watching it and not being able totalk about anything else...it being on EVERY channel...and little attention being paid to US affairs.
    The only other thing I can ever remember getting this much nes coverage was 9/11....and that was something that actually deserved it.

NO MORE DRAMA
    POSTS. he was just ranting...and wasnt trying to start anything!!!!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I loved watching the wedding and am having a party this afternoon with the children. What's wrong with having a bit of joy in our lives occasionally? There's all too much doom and gloom.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    We're paying you back for at least six months of tedious in depth coverage before every one of your presidential elections. :P

My thoughts are with those affected by the tornados, which is getting a lot of coverage here in the UK, and I realise it must be galling to have the media cover a wedding when you are desperate for news about friends and family who might be affected, but since when did the media care about people?
  • binary_jester
    Options
    Oh the insanity. I think she was just saying this: We are paying an awful lot of attention to the royal wedding...forexmple, today on FX from 9am-2pm they are doing a special on the wedding. It is featured on EVERY news channel (including ESPN!, really???) And while we have short blurbs about what is going on with the victims of the weather issues our country has experienced...it has definitely been pushed aside to cover the RW. I do agree that it is a one-in-a-lifetime thing...and if you want to follow it thats up to you and fantastic...nothing against you! BUT I am sick of people asking me if I am watching it and not being able totalk about anything else...it being on EVERY channel...and little attention being paid to US affairs.
    The only other thing I can ever remember getting this much nes coverage was 9/11....and that was something that actually deserved it.

NO MORE DRAMA
    POSTS. She was just ranting...and wasnt trying to start anything!!!!
    I will never understand how trying to have a logical discussion is a bad thing.
  • binary_jester
    Options
    but since when did the media care about people?
    Because the media does care about people...in terms of viewership and right now the wedding is sensational enough to warrant all this attention I guess.
  • LaPistolaSexola
    LaPistolaSexola Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Oh the insanity. I think she was just saying this: We are paying an awful lot of attention to the royal wedding...forexmple, today on FX from 9am-2pm they are doing a special on the wedding. It is featured on EVERY news channel (including ESPN!, really???) And while we have short blurbs about what is going on with the victims of the weather issues our country has experienced...it has definitely been pushed aside to cover the RW. I do agree that it is a one-in-a-lifetime thing...and if you want to follow it thats up to you and fantastic...nothing against you! BUT I am sick of people asking me if I am watching it and not being able totalk about anything else...it being on EVERY channel...and little attention being paid to US affairs.

NO MORE DRAMA
    POSTS. She was just ranting...and wasnt trying to start anything!!!!

She's a man

eta: the "DRAMA" starts with the name calling.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Because the media does care about people...in terms of viewership and right now the wedding is sensational enough to warrant all this attention I guess.
    I meant that the media are not going to be deciding what to show on the basis of some people's feelings about seeing a wedding when they want coverage of the tornado.

As you say, they're showing what they judge that the _majority_ of their viewers want to see, and stations which survive are usually pretty good at getting that right.
  • binary_jester
    Options
    I meant that the media are not going to be deciding what to show on the basis of some people's feelings about seeing a wedding when they want coverage of the tornado.

As you say, they're showing what they judge that the _majority_ of their viewers want to see, and stations which survive are usually pretty good at getting that right.
    Exactly. When it comes to things like this, I generally use CNN as a barometer of the general feeling. If they suddenly got inundated with demands for more tornado coverage, i bet their programming would change pretty quick. Luckily there are plenty of news sources.
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Simply put, it is a distraction. During the depression MOVIES still made money. WHY? Because people wanted to think about anything other than thier current misery. Its an escape. We would rather not think about the horrible stuff. So we distract ourselves with mindless fluff. Its human nature.