Whey Protein Shakes

Options
Has anyone heard of negative effects of Whey Protein shakes? I don't have any health issues (other than being overweight), and wanted to make sure I wouldn't be damaging my kidneys.

Thanks!

Replies

• katy5692
    katy5692 Posts: 140
    Options
    bump!
  • Syntax_Error
    Syntax_Error Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are great as long as you're demanding your body use what you put in (ie. weight training to build muscle mass). If you don't it ends up getting stored as fat and is counter-productive.
  • jdg1mfp
    jdg1mfp Posts: 103
    Options
    No negative effects.
    They have been around for years.
    Just don't rely on them exclusively for your nutrition.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Nope, but why waste your money on a POWDER when you can have REAL FOOD and get the same amount of protein, have it taste phenomenal, and be completely satisfying?

Seriously... EAT A STEAK! Ribs, chicken, you get the idea.

EAT REAL FOOD, PLEASE!
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I find them super handy sometimes. I try to eat 5 meals a day and sometimes one of my meals lands during work or class when I can microwave anything and I don't want to eat chicken or something that might smell in class or while working. I can just mix a scope with some water and drink it while in class or working. I also, like to mix a scope of my protein power with a banana and ice and water and make it a smoothie. I often premake my shake and put it in the freezer at work until it is time for me to have it.
  • rosybella9
    rosybella9 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Nope, but why waste your money on a POWDER when you can have REAL FOOD and get the same amount of protein, have it taste phenomenal, and be completely satisfying?

EAT REAL FOOD, PLEASE!

Well, some people choose not to eat meat and still want to ensure they are consuming enough protein.

Just something to think about before jumping someone for asking a question...
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hello,

My father is a nutritionist and has me taking 2 shakes (1 scoop of whey protein powder in each shake) a day to increase my protein intake. As long as you are not doing a diet like Atkins which is very protein heavy, and do not have kidney disease already (ie are not on dialysis or have uncontrolled diabetes which damages the kidneys) there is no reason you can't use whey protein that I am aware of. I am using it because I tend not to eat enough protein in my diet naturally - I am heavy on the complex carbs.
    If you would like to read about the whey protein I use, it is called Enhanced Life Extension Protein and I use the berry flavor in a cup of vanilla almond milk. It could be dessert, it tastes like drinking a blueberry muffin. :) Life Extension is a reputable vitamin and supplement company known for having high quality products, according to my father who is very knowledgeable on the subject. You can look up this product on their site at www.lef.org. (Neither I nor my father have any affiliation with them, we just use their products, and I thought this info might be helpful.)

Also, I eat a homemade Italian vegetable soup with garbanzo and white kidney (aka cannellini) beans, and beans are a great source of natural protein without getting the fat and such that comes with meat. If you'd like the recipe, just send me a message! :)
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    EAT REAL FOOD, PLEASE!

Because it's cheaper and easier.
    It's hard to eat 3000 calories a day of all "real food" while taking in at least 200 grams of protein from "real food".
    I'd have a hard time meeting my goals without some liquid calories and I can't afford to eat that much meat/cottage cheese and whatever else I'd need to hit 200-250 grams of protein per day.

Real food should be your foundation. Thats why it's called a protein "supplement".
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I usually have one protien smoothie a day. I work out hard every morning and they really help me recover. I wouldnt use them as food replacements but they are a great extra to reuse the calories burned during exercise.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options

EAT REAL FOOD, PLEASE!

Well, some people choose not to eat meat and still want to ensure they are consuming enough protein.

Just something to think about before jumping someone for asking a question...

"They don't eat no meat? Oh, oh. That's okay. I make LAMB."

It's okay if you don't eat meat, just EAT REAL FOOD. Not processed. Ick. if you're creative enough, there's no reason you can't get enough protein from real food.

Also, @ bmontgomery, I don't find it hard to get in enough protein, even if it is close to 200 (3k cals is thanksgiving dinner, easy protein). Unleash your inner carnivore, buddy. RAWR!
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    LOL.
    Well if you're able to do it I applaud you.
    I can't afford that much meat. And I'm always on the go, can't always have chicken or tuna, sometimes its easier to grab a scoop of whey and some milk. My body doesn't seem to mind. Some days I just don't have room for extra food, but I'm able to drink 500 cals in a quick/easy shake.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    mongomery, can I recommend hemp protein? Bobs Red Mill sells it, and it's super easy to toss in blender with some fruits, greens, and liquid of choice :)

There, real food, protein source!

if you don't have time during the day, prepare it the night before, or pick one night a week and prepare all your meals for the week.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

EAT REAL FOOD, PLEASE!

You are under the Misconception that everyone wants to eat MEAT OR can eat Meat! GROW-UP! By the way...What was the average Life Span for "Pre-Historic" Man? In 20-25 years, I'd like to know the effects eating this way has on your colon. I'm willing to bet that Pre-historic Man ate meat MAYBE once a week...if they were lucky.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options

EAT REAL FOOD, PLEASE!

You are under the Misconception that everyone wants to eat MEAT OR can eat Meat! GROW-UP! By the way...What was the average Life Span for "Pre-Historic" Man?

Aw, harsh, dude. I'm not chewing anyone out, I'm just really passionate about eating food the way God intended it. Call me cheerleader for real food & clean eating.

besides, MEAT IS DELICIOUS! I believe the good Lord put both fauna and flora on this earth to provide for us. What a waste if we are not utilizing half of it.
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein Isolates are filtered milk proteins. Whey is a by-product of the cheese-making process. Its protein-rich contents can be filtered to yield a concentrated or isolated whey protein.

Whey protein typically comes in three major forms: concentrate, isolate, and hydrolysate.

Whey Proteins are highly bioavailable, are very quickly absorbed into the body, and have a high concentration of Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) [1] which are highly concentrated in muscle tissue, and are used to fuel working muscles and stimulate protein synthesis.[2]

The difference between the Whey Protein forms is the process used to filter the proteins. Whey Isolates yield a higher percentage of pure protein and can be filtered enough to be virtually lactose free, carbohydrate free, fat free, and cholesterol free.

Unless I'm missing something whey protein is real food!

Karen
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    why not just enjoy cheese, greek yogurt, and milk then?
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    mongomery, can I recommend hemp protein? Bobs Red Mill sells it, and it's super easy to toss in blender with some fruits, greens, and liquid of choice :)

There, real food, protein source!

if you don't have time during the day, prepare it the night before, or pick one night a week and prepare all your meals for the week.

how is hemp protein better than whey for my body though?
    Whey comes from milk. So it's a real food protein source in my opinion.
    Plus what is the cost per serving of hemp protein?
    I can take whey, and get about 24 grams per scoop at about 50 cents per serving. Not to mention it tastes better to have a choc shake than to mix up hemp with something else.

Also the amount of milk I have to drink to get all that protein gets a bit ridiculous.
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I do enjoy all of them as well as a homemade protein smoothies made with whey protein isolate, raspberries, blueberries, flax seed and water.

Variety is the spice of life.

Just because someone has different choices in food does not give you the right to jump down their throats and preach!

A mind is like a parachute it works best when it's opened!

Karen
  • DrBorkBork
    Options

how is hemp protein better than whey for my body though?

*shrug* I dunno, I just think of the stuff in the canisters at Walmart when I see "whey protein" and "shake" together. That stuff is gross. I much rather eat food less processed than that.
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    Whey Protein Isolates are filtered milk proteins. Whey is a by-product of the cheese-making process. Its protein-rich contents can be filtered to yield a concentrated or isolated whey protein.

Whey protein typically comes in three major forms: concentrate, isolate, and hydrolysate.

Whey Proteins are highly bioavailable, are very quickly absorbed into the body, and have a high concentration of Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) [1] which are highly concentrated in muscle tissue, and are used to fuel working muscles and stimulate protein synthesis.[2]

The difference between the Whey Protein forms is the process used to filter the proteins. Whey Isolates yield a higher percentage of pure protein and can be filtered enough to be virtually lactose free, carbohydrate free, fat free, and cholesterol free.

Unless I'm missing something whey protein is real food!

Karen

citizen-kane-clapping-gif.gif