What to do with your "fat" clothes?

Options
I almost threw out all of my thin clothes. Then I lost 20 pounds on MFP. Now I am glad I did not because I now fit in them. But I have spent some good money on "Fat clothes" that are now too big for me.

What do you do with your fat clothes? Box them up? Give them away? Try to wear them though baggy?

Replies

• rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I'll be wearing my fat clothes until I feel like I'm at a point where buying new clothes wouldn't be a waste. After that though, I plan to donate them.
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm learning how to sew so that I can take in some of my favorite items. If you don't want to do that, maybe find a tailor?
  • denni514
    denni514 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Goodwill donation for the ones I don't care about. The really nice expensive silk tops I bought are going to go to to a seamstress at some point to be recut/taken in.
  • ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping most of my shirts will still fit, but they'll just fit better....but i'll most likely have to invest in new bottoms. Whatever doesn't fit I'm going to donate!
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I almost threw out all of my thin clothes. Then I lost 20 pounds on MFP. Now I am glad I did not because I now fit in them. But I have spent some good money on "Fat clothes" that are now too big for me.

What do you do with your fat clothes? Box them up? Give them away? Try to wear them though baggy?

I would say to donate them. I wouldn't keep them around because you know (don't you?) that you'll never have to wear them again.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    A combination of all of that. I've gone down quite a few sizes (size 16 to size 6/8) and most clothes just aren't going to look good at all anymore. Useful belts over shirts or dresses that tie around the waist I've just kept wearing, but I've given away most of my fat clothes. I take them to Plato's Closet, a consignment type store that buys back clothes for cash, and then what they don't take I donate to Good Will or my coworker's church. I did save one pair of size 16 jeans that crack me up when I try them on.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I stuffed a bunch of them under my bed LOL
  • ShellBelle76
    Options
    I get rid of mine. I don't want to use them as a crutch.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I just recently went through my closet and had 2 big bags worth of fat clothes! what a great feeling! I am giving mine to the goodwill. It's so nice to be able to go into my closet and be able to pick out something cute to wear and actually feel good in it!
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Saving them for whenever I get pregnant...
  • BassClarinetist
    Options
    you could donate them but if you wanted to make a little money (trust me, just a little), you could sell them to a thrift/ second-hand shop. good place to find "in between" clothes too
  • PrincessBTits
    PrincessBTits Posts: 198
    Options
    Everything that was falling off me, I donated to friends. I kept all of my "skinny" clothes so I am pulling them out now. I am buying new undergarments and exercise clothing as needed as proper fit is extremely important when working out. Found the out the hard way. Chafing is no bueno :(
  • Determined1980
    Options
    Get rid of them, so that I am motivated to keep the weight off.
  • MissJanelle5
    Options
    I got rid of them all! because i will never get back into them!! :]
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I really hate donating to thrift stores since they charge a lot of money for things they never paid for. A good way to get rid of your clothes that you shrunk out of is see if there is a http://www.freecycle.org/ in your area. Its a way to donate to people in need. You post what you are getting rid of and people ask for it. You pick who you want to bless with it and they come pick it up. I usually leave out on steps.
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    my expensive things i take to a tailor and have altered to fit my new body. i donate all my other clothes.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I will keep what I have until I can shop in the non-fat section! Then I would donate it....unfortunately I gave away a whole box on thin clothes that I forgot I had about a month before I found this site! :sad:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I donated mine to relatives first and charity second. In my case, I initially lost 25% of my body weight, so they would have been super baggy.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    My favorite things I get them taken in and the rest goes to Salvation Army.
  • kthume03
    kthume03 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    We have a group at church that we pass our cloths around and honestly you can find a lot of good quality resale shops while you are losing weight so you don't feel lime you are wasting your money.