Body Fat Percentage & Lean Body Mass..?

2»

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Well... As a female, I seriously wouldn't recommend going to 15. A woman's body is meant to hoard some fat. Several reasons, but I would say stay at the least at 17. Tends to screw with your hormones too.

Alright, thanks ! Is it possible to go from a 32% to a 17% then? :D

I truly doubt it (in 4 months). It took me 6 months to go from 20 down to 17% and my diet was impeccable and workouts were intense.

That's just not enough time.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    BUILDING MUSCLE is the quickest way to lower body fat percentage... So start lifting weights like crazy! That is the quickest and pretty much only way to change those results... Cardio wont do it, and diet alone wont do it either.

Thank you :) I know I need to add this in to my fitness routine although I don't have much of a routine right now. I am going to make it a priority to add that!

Check out www.stronglifts.com for a simple, yet very effective, weight lifting routine. If you don't think it'll work, check out their testimonials.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Oh, well I think you should maybe extend your goal time-period. That is a ton to lose in that amount of time. It may be possible, but it will probably be very difficult! Good luck though :)

From my experience:

My starting was around the same as yours, 148 lbs and 31% body fat.
    I am now 122 lbs and 19% body fat. And that took me around 6 months.

That was pretty much my starting point except my bodyfat % was even higher (talk about skinnyfat!)...can you tell me how you accomplished that change in 6 months? I am trying to get under 25%, thanks!

BUILDING MUSCLE is the quickest way to lower body fat percentage... So start lifting weights like crazy! That is the quickest and pretty much only way to change those results... Cardio wont do it, and diet alone wont do it either.

And I agree 10000000000000000000%. My body fat was higher when I weighed 102 pounds than now when I weigh 110. I do very little cardio and lift heavy.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Outside from the very beginning, you probably won't build very much muscle while you are in a calorie deficit. Building muscle is extremely hard while in a calorie deficit and for women especially. However, the best way to make sure that when you lose a high ratio of fat to lean body mass is a strength training regimen. And we're not talking about 20-30 reps stuff. We're talking 6-12 reps of a heavy weight which gets you to the point where you can't do anymore. That's the best way to maintain your muscle while burning fat and thus maximizing your body fat percentage lost.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Well... As a female, I seriously wouldn't recommend going to 15. A woman's body is meant to hoard some fat. Several reasons, but I would say stay at the least at 17. Tends to screw with your hormones too.

I dont agree with this at all. Work/workout with 2 girls that are 15% bf and they have had no "hormonal" effects and to answer your question it is surely obtainable to reach your goal in the time you are allotting yourself.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    as a woman you need to be careful to not lose too much body fat, as not only will it mess with your hormones, it will seriously increase your risk of osteoporosis too, and you cant really get your bone density back once its gone

under 21% is unhealthy for a woman. between 21 and 33% is healthy
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    why do women "need" more bodyfat than men?
    30 percent is outrageously high IMO.
    I will never let myself get over 20.

Well, a few reasons #1 having babies.... If one is sure they are done having babies it is acceptable to have a BF% at 18-19%. I'm @ 19% and healthy.

• My starting was around the same as yours, 148 lbs and 31% body fat.

Hey! How do you work out your body fat or is it from your scales, because mine do read this measurement, but not sure how accurate this would be?
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Outside from the very beginning, you probably won't build very much muscle while you are in a calorie deficit. Building muscle is extremely hard while in a calorie deficit and for women especially. However, the best way to make sure that when you lose a high ratio of fat to lean body mass is a strength training regimen. And we're not talking about 20-30 reps stuff. We're talking 6-12 reps of a heavy weight which gets you to the point where you can't do anymore. That's the best way to maintain your muscle while burning fat and thus maximizing your body fat percentage lost.

you are right... the only thing strength training does for you while you are eating at a deficit is keep you from losing muscle, and perhaps adding a little... but so many people think that cardio is the way to get fit.. and its not.. you lose fat AND muscle, so by lifting along with your cardio you aren't losing as much muscle, and more fat. once you are eating at less of a deficit you can start building that muscle which will in turn help you burn fat quicker, and allow you to eat more.
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member

Hey! How do you work out your body fat or is it from your scales, because mine do read this measurement, but not sure how accurate this would be?

how many pads do your scales have? If it's only two then not very accurate I'm afraid - it's basically a calculation based on your %water and BMI.

if you have 4 pads then you're looking at better results - but ideally you want 4 pads, plus handles.
This discussion has been closed.