Dollar Dances

Options
cbratthauer
cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
Once again, my opinion and that of the "etiquette board" of TheKnot.com disagree. I am looking forward to having a dollar dance at my wedding. I think they're fun, and each wedding I have been to it has turned into a sort of contest on who can get more dollars, the bride or the groom. TheKnot says they're tacky and money grabby. What is everybody else's opinions? I don't want to be termed "money grabby" I just wanted to do one because I think they're fun!!

Replies

• teanabean
    teanabean Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think they are fun but tacky at a wedding. IN my opinion they are only done here if its for like a benefit for someone who is sick or has lost their house, etc.

What do your guests think?
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I plan on doing one, I've been to a lot of weddings that have done them and never thought anything about it aside from it being fun and or funny. if you want to do it I think you should.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I did one at my wedding. I don't think they are tackey. It gives people a chance to dance with the bride/groom whom would otherwise probably not get a chance.
  • knantz
    knantz Posts: 68
    Options
    Your wedding, your etiquette. If you want one, do it.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you dont want to do dollars, maybe get some fake "coins" or something and have the person who collects the most coins wins bragging rights.
  • sarabig2fit
    sarabig2fit Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    We did one. We made a bunch of money and I do not regret doing it. A lot of people think it's tacky but who cares, it's your wedding!
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Teanabean, where is "here?"
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the situation. Dollar dances started out as a way to help the bride and groom get started in their new life - money for purchasing household goods, etc. If you and your fiance have already set up a household together, and don't need that stuff, then I would consider it tacky.

One other way to do it may be to pick a charity you and your fiance like and tell your guests that the money collected with go to that charity.
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have remembered about the dollar dance for my wedding almost 10 years ago! Sounds like fun! I say it's your wedding and you should do what you want to do. The more fun the better!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    We had one. My wife said that it's so that people will come up to you one at a time and you can spend a little time with each person. The rest of the night you'll be pulled in every direction. I just looked at it as we just paid $30,000 for this shin-dig and y'all are eating $100 meals, the least you can do is give us a little bit of cash to cover.
  • ItsOn130
    ItsOn130 Posts: 269
    Options
    Do it! It's a fun thing! I did one and I've participated in many! Not tacky! :flowerforyou:
  • cbratthauer
    Options
    I think they are fun but tacky at a wedding. IN my opinion they are only done here if its for like a benefit for someone who is sick or has lost their house, etc.

What do your guests think?

Well I'm assuming my guests think it's ok because those weddings I have gone to have all had one. I live in Iowa, maybe it is a regional thing I'm not sure, but everybody knows to bring dollars to a wedding for the dollar dance.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I think they're incredibly tacky, and would never have one at MY wedding, nor would I participate in one (yes I realize weddings are expensive, but the budget is the couple's choice, not the guests', and I've already gotten them a gift..if I had opted to give them money, I'd have written them a check)...but to each their own.
  • KristyF08
    KristyF08 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think they are fun. We did one at our wedding... it's a total tradition in my family. My husband wasn't sold on it but afterwards he said he was glad we did. It gave us a chance to talk to more people that we might have missed when we walked around the room. Plus it was just fun! We did set a limit on the number of songs, we didn't want it to last forever. :flowerforyou: I say go for it, it's your wedding, your decision! Congratualtions by the way!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Tacky.
  • KristenAnn711
    KristenAnn711 Posts: 783
    Options
    what is a dollar dance? ive only seen this at strip clubs
  • AlissaPreuss
    Options
    They are fun, BUT should NEVER go for more than a half hour. I was at a wedding and they did the dollar dance for over an hour then they did an auction for the garter for another half an hour THEN at midnight they passed a hat for people to pay for the dj to stay longer. You can totally handle it in a classy manner without turning your wedding into an opportunity fo panhandling.
  • crystal_loga
    crystal_loga Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I live in the south, and every wedding I have been to has had a "Money Dance". Its just a little something extra for the bride and groom. Anyone that thinks its tacky, does NOT have to get up and dance with the bride and groom!! They can just sit there and watch. No one at the wedding is forced to participate. 10 years ago when my husband and I wed, we collected almost $1000 between cards and the money dance. We paid our photographer and the hotel for the night of our wedding with that money, and I promise you it came in VERY handy!! We would have had really hard time coming up with that money otherwise. I'm very grateful that there was a money dance at our wedding!
    P.S. It also gave us each a few mins to personally thank our guests for coming to the wedding on a more personal level.
  • cbratthauer
    Options
    They are fun, BUT should NEVER go for more than a half hour. I was at a wedding and they did the dollar dance for over an hour then they did an auction for the garter for another half an hour THEN at midnight they passed a hat for people to pay for the dj to stay longer. You can totally handle it in a classy manner without turning your wedding into an opportunity fo panhandling.

Oh wow! Yea we definitely wouldn't go more than half an hour! And we're not auctioning anything or asking people to pay for the DJ to stay longer, we're already paying him to stay as late as our venue allows.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I think they're incredibly tacky, and would never have one at MY wedding...but to each their own.

exactly. some people are rude and snobby and look down on others. some people are fun and like to laugh. Pick which kind of person you want to be :)
    :huh: