anyone eat chips?

Options
I have always like chips. When I started dieting I searched for an alternative.
I was eating the baked Lays and then I found the light Lays. 1oz. is 80 calories.
Not too bad.

My question is...............would it be best to give up chips all 2-gether?

Replies

• roxiedo
    roxiedo Posts: 154
    Options
    As long as you can eat in moderation the baked ones. That is one of my downfalls, I eat the whole bag whether it is regular or baked:sad: :cry:
  • pmad37
    pmad37 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Just had baked lays for lunch with Subway. I don't dare buy a big bag :)
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Try Popchips! They are awesome!
  • Canrockon
    Canrockon Posts: 1
    Options
    Chips are my favorite...I eat them occasionaly. I have learned(trained myself) to replace good old baby carrots with my meals that I would have usually had chips.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Everything is ok in moderation. If you give something up totally, you start craving it and will go overboard. I am the same way with chocolate/candy bars. Now, instead of eating the whole thing, I will only eat half. I don't know if you have heard of them or not but Special K makes a cracker chips (sour cream and onion are my favorite). You can have 28 chipcs for 110 calories. Also, Chippins are good whick is a popcorn chip, and popchips are good too. Some other suggestions, I have come across.
  • Rebjones612
    Rebjones612 Posts: 408
    Options
    What are pop chips?
  • KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    It would be best to give up chips all together. But you dont want to cut out everything you like completly becasue then you may binge, and i know you dont want that. I am a HUGE chip fan. I crave them when its my TOM, like CRAVE!~!~! As I incorperated more and more healthy foods into my diet and cut out most of the sugar and salt, I began to crave them less. Actually, I think its been about three weeks since I have had a chip. Hmmmm, maybe I am due!~! lol... Moderation is key to everything, just watch your sodium. A good chip to try to move on to is a whole corn chip, they still have the saltyness and they still crunch!~!, but you can put more stuff on them. And homemade Salsa is a GREAT snack!~!

Good Luck!
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    chips are my downfall as well, seems like I grave the salt when I am really working out hard. I love the kettle cooked sea salt and pepper ones. but, I just try not to even buy them. because if so, I will eat the whole bag in 2 days for sure. :cry:
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    anything is fine in moderation...

Try veggie straws (the ones I like are made by Clancy's)...they..are...PHENOMENAL! I found these at Aldi's for $1.49 for a giant bag...

If it is hard for you to control yourself, then it's best not to have it near you..out of site, out of mind! My vice is cashews...I only buy them one in a blue..
  • magpie8402
    magpie8402 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Special K has come up with "cracker chips" and personally I think they are great. You might also look into sweet potato chips.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I try to only buy individual serving size bags b/c I know chips are my weakness and if I have a whole bag, I will eat them!
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    As much as I have a sweet-tooth, I can also do some major damage on a bag of chips:wink: However, other than the baked or light chips, look for alternatives. There are chips out there made from things other than potatoes, so you could find something with more vitamins and what-not while still getting the salty, crunchy fix.
    By the way, careful with the light chips. Some people don't take to Olean and it can some times have adverse effects on you :embarassed:
  • DEE4560
    DEE4560 Posts: 139
    Options
    I eat the lays 1/2 Chips as well. They are low in calorie so why give them up. It's the portion that you have to have control over. I always take one serving and put the bag away.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options

Try veggie straws (the ones I like are made by Clancy's)...they..are...PHENOMENAL! I found these at Aldi's for $1.49 for a giant bag...

If it is hard for you to control yourself, then it's best not to have it near you..out of site, out of mind! My vice is cashews...I only buy them one in a blue..

i second the veggie straws!! I also like the special k cracker chips
  • stepherjensen
    stepherjensen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would think that giving up chips all together is probably the best idea, but let's be honest. Those of us trying to fight years of terrible eating habits are not likely to stick with anything that limits us from eating the foods we love. I too am a HUGE chippy eater - Saturday nights, especially on movie nights are extra hard.

I know that elimination of anything is not going to work for me - I hate being told what I am not ALLOWED to eat. So, in that spirit, I have decided to limit my intake to weekends, and watch the portion size and calorie count (and watch what I eat for the rest of the day).

My new favourite thing is "Skinny Sticks" - salty and tasty like chips but 50 grams (which is a very full large cereal bowl!!) is 220cal. They come in a spicy flavour called Maui Wowie BBQ and Salt and Vinegar which are my faves.

I am not an expert by any means, but this has worked for me so far.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    What are pop chips?

That's the name brand. They are made with potato, but not fried or even baked. They are sold at Trader Joe's and at Costco, and more of the regular grocery stores in my area are also picking them up. The BBQ flavor is my fave :)
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    I love chips!! I eat them on occasion but I only buy the small bags - about 200 cals. I have no portion control when it comes to chips!
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I think it is okay for you to eat anything in moderation. When I take something I like out of my diet completely, I tend to binge on it when I crave it really bad. If I eat controlled portions of what I like I don't overeat it and get mad at myself.
  • jessicamariedee
    jessicamariedee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Like Roxie said, if you can eat them in moderation- why not? When I lost weight in college, I would buy a bag of baked lays and then individually break up all 27 servings into ziplock bags. It sounds really neurotic, but it helped me when I needed to grab something crunchy or to accompany my lunch. Also, I couldn't be trusted with the full bag! At least with the broken up portions, I had a system and censor in place. I had to really decide if I wanted to break into that second bag.

If it's just the crunch that you're looking for (something that I've been missing in the last week), dry cereal could be an option- but the calories tend to run in the 100-140 depending on what you want. :D

ETA: Derp! Goldfish are also amazing. The serving size is 55 goldfish. Which is nuts.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

i second the veggie straws!! I also like the special k cracker chips

I saw veggie straws and wondered if they were any good. I think I'll have to give them a try. :)