Does coffee count in any way towards water intake for the da

Options
13»

Replies

• Ssue1
    Ssue1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    "..Coffee and tea also count in your tally. Many used to believe that they were dehydrating, but that myth has been debunked. The diuretic effect does not offset hydration..." according to webmd article on "what counts as water"- http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/healthy-beverages
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    "..Coffee and tea also count in your tally. Many used to believe that they were dehydrating, but that myth has been debunked. The diuretic effect does not offset hydration..." according to webmd article on "what counts as water"- http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/healthy-beverages

All fluids are hydrating. I mean Coffee is simply water with coffee flavour added isn't it!

What if I ate a food containing caffiene while drinking some plain water? They are going to mix in your stomach! You can count juice, tea, coffee and squash as your daily intake. Some people prefer to just log plain water but don't think that the other drinks will dehydrate you.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    No, only water counts as water. Suppose you wanted to replace all your water with coffee, imagine what that would do to you, crystals in the kidney, UI etc. Its because coffee does not do the job the water is meant to do. Coffee is entered with a meal or snack, water is entered as just water. Please do not try to convince yourself that it can be counted as water because it contains water, because once it is filtered through coffee, it is tainted water and loses the purpose that water is intended to perform.
    This ...
  • CNKirkland
    CNKirkland Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The caffeine content in coffee dehydrates your bodies. This decreases your kidney function for urinary output. Therefore I would not count it as water.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    No, only water counts as water. Suppose you wanted to replace all your water with coffee, imagine what that would do to you, crystals in the kidney, UI etc. Its because coffee does not do the job the water is meant to do. Coffee is entered with a meal or snack, water is entered as just water. Please do not try to convince yourself that it can be counted as water because it contains water, because once it is filtered through coffee, it is tainted water and loses the purpose that water is intended to perform.
    This ...

You would have to drink a lot of coffee and even more tea for it to have a diuretic effect.

I don't really understand the tainted water argument either, do you drink your plain water on an empty stomach? Otherwise your water will become "tainted" as soon as it enters your body.