Exercise or eating right...which one is more important?

Options
13»

Replies

• jenswwjourney
    jenswwjourney Posts: 181
    Options
    I believe that eating right is more imporant. What does it matter if you ran on the treadmill for 60 minutes if you ate 5,000 calories earlier in the day? Also you cannot exercise at your peak if you are placing junk intyo your body. Just my thoughts.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It depends. Sometimes you can out exercise eating bad, just depends on what you call "bad".

And you could eat really great and healthy, but if you never touched a weight or ran 10 steps, you wouldn't be very physically fit.

If given the choice, I personally would choose exercise and let my diet slip. I lived a lot of my life that way without any problems. Thankfully now I am smart enough and able to do both.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Eating right because you can exercise all day long but if you eat bad then your health can still be bad. My dad knew a guy who was an avid runner. He was always in marathons and was in top physical shape. He died of a heart attack because he had clogged arteries from eating the worst foods!
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    diet is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise

NO QUESTION about it... FOOD will make or break you. I've had friends be successful (losing weight, not getting healthy) without ever adding exercise, but no one has been successful without changing their food habits.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Diet.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine went to a seminar and they told her that eating right and exercising are both important. But, if you are only going to do one of the two, then pick exercise.

(I am not offering advice. Just telling you what my friend said)

4433730.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I did find that if I exercise I always tend to eat healthier.... I don't want to ruin all the hard work I put in

but as everyone else has posted and as I posted earlier, eating healthy is key.
  • elliemay63
    elliemay63 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the majority - nutrition is more important. My GF doesn't really do the whole exercise thing but her "diet by proxy" has helped her lose weight without trying. If we don't bring junk into the house then we eat better. And if I choose a healthy meal when we go out to eat, she tends to make a better choice, not always but usually.
  • jazgal
    jazgal Posts: 122
    Options
    80% nutrition, 10% genetics and 10% exercise
  • ILuvLifehouse
    ILuvLifehouse Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    From my own experience I have tried it both ways and the only thing that works FOR ME is to do both then I see results. I can't just diet and lose so that's what works for me.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I would say eating right, simply because a lot of us don't have the time to exercise or the money to join a gym. I have found that I can lose weight by eating right, with little exercise. Plus, eating right can help with things like cholesterol, blood pressure, etc.

But since I've added exercise, I look and feel better. Cardiovascular exercise is great for the heart and the blood!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    6 years ago I lost 70 lbs in 7 months only doing 2 spin classes a week and consuming at least 3000 (if not 5000) calories per day. Then I hit a plateau, probably because I was now burning as much as i was eating. I had that little layer of fat that I couldn't get rid of. In the end, diet matters, but with exercise you get out what you put in. I was burning 700 calories in each of those spin classes and probably much more afterwards.

Take from this what you will.