I figured I'd make one of these (progression pics)

Options
Schwiggity
Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
So I've been incredibly obese nearly my entire life. I always thought it was normal to gain 30-50 pounds a year as I was growing up. I was 12 years old the last time I was under 200 pounds. I was about 13 the last time I was around my current weight (~255 pounds).

This is me in my Junior year of high school:

progressearliest.png

I could barely fit into most of the desks at school. Walking from class to class made me start sweating (and living in Florida doesn't help either).

I continued to gain weight throughout my senior year.

progresspicdavidsparty.jpg

I remember going to get my senior picture taken, and them having to cut open the back of a tuxedo for it to fit me. I loathed myself, and I just wanted to go home and be done with the picture. It didn't matter what they did. I hated how I looked and how I felt.

progressseniorpic.jpg

While going to community college to get my A.A., I rarely weighed myself and avoided getting my picture taken like the plague. I remember stepping on a scale at one point and being nearly at the 400 pound mark.

What made me want to change my life wasn't a single event, but there is one that stands out in my mind as the breaking point. I was walking to a music store in the mall to get a CD (I hated the mall, but I really wanted the CD). While I was walking by some cell phone kiosk, the guys behind the counter were giggling. As I walked back past it after I got the CD, they said they could "put me in a drawing" if they could take a picture of me. I was fat. I wasn't stupid. I remember being angry and utterly sad when I drove home. I was tired of being treated like a freak show for being obese. I was tired of it being an ordeal just for me to walk outside. I was just f***ing tired.

I had half-assed the Weight Watchers program before. I knew how it worked roughly, and when I got home, I looked up where to attend a meeting. Early October, I weighed in for the first time at 384.6 pounds. These pictures are the ~30 months that have followed.

afewmonthsin.jpg

mid2009.jpg

progress1.png

mid2010.jpg

august2010.jpg

late2010.jpg

I've hit some plateaus throughout the past half a year, and had some gains as well. My lowest weight has been around 240 pounds. I'm currently at 258 and on my way downward again.

recent.jpg

8118745263712081048.jpg

I still have a ways to go, but my life has changed dramatically now. I used to barely be able to walk a mile. Now I run 5Ks like nothing. I used to be afraid to leave the house because I'd have complete strangers laughing behind my back. Now I actually enjoy going out with friends. I didn't mean for this to get so "bloggy", but it's been pretty cathartic. I hope this can give someone a kick in the butt who needs it, and to know that it's not impossible, and it is worth it!

Replies

• elephantmeg
    elephantmeg Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    great job! It's def a process not a one shot deal!
  • pjrisher
    pjrisher Posts: 152
    Options
    Congrats! That's so fantastic!
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    amazing job! keep it up!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Do you know what? I'm wiping away a tear reading that. Thank you for sharing, and wow, what a great job you're doing! Go you!
  • mangos4music
    mangos4music Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    the change is remarkable! you are doing great keep up the great work!
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I almost shed a tear too. Your dedication is so inspiring!!! Congrats on such amazing progress!
  • effthisdiet
    Options
    Your progress pictures are amazing. I see a huge difference. Congratulations! :)
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Awesome! You did GREAT! Totally keeps me motived to see/read these stories :)
  • P90XCertifiedCoach
    Options
    Way to go KEEP IT UP.
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options
    Terrific! You should be so proud of yourself! I'm proud of you :)
  • tree1984
    tree1984 Posts: 29
    Options
    WOW!! Congrats!!!
  • gabbygirl37_2001
    gabbygirl37_2001 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    YOU are an inspiration....keep it up, you look great and you have worked hard to get to where you are! thanks for sharing your story and your pictures, it is really helpful to me!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Really excellent progress! Congratulations!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You've come so far, it's amazing to see what you've accomplished! You, sir, are an inspiration.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Wow ... Congratulations on your stick-to-it-iveness! Your hard work, patience and determination are certainly paying off.
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    Congratulations on your determination & your success!! You are such an inspiration!! Thank you for sharing.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    the change in you is incredible!!! Keep up that hard work & keep that smile on, it suits you!! :D

Great job! <3
  • Karenvonw
    Karenvonw Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You are such an inspiration! Keep up the great work!
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    SUPER PROUD OF YOU. You are an inspiration! THANK YOU.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!