Advice from a 100+ lb LOSER!!!!

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
Hey all!

I have gotten a lot of emails asking me how I have managed to lose the weight I have. I am happy to receive and answer any email I get but just wanted to post something for those that might not feel comfortable emailing me.

I am not an expert by any means, though I feel like I have learned a lot over the past few months. The thing is, I didn't put too much pressure on myself. I started by making one small change after another. At first I just started lowering my calories, then after a few weeks, I started to pay attention to where those calories were coming from, which lead to getting more nutritious foods into my body.....like whole grains, healthy fats, lean protein, low-fat dairy, fruits and veggies. Also, from day ONE, I was drinking a lot of water. I have these cups I got from Ikea...and each one holds 24 ounces. I drink one first thing in the morning before I even allow myself my one mug of coffee for the day. My goal in the day is to drink down at least 3 of these cups, but I often get more than that. Then, that lead to watching my sodium intake....and then I started to add more exercise, slowly upping the time and resistance as I went along. I used to hate exercise and now I absolutely LOVE it and love how it makes me feel.

My point is that if you just take it a week at a time and take baby steps as you go, you start to realize that these changes are almost happening automatically because you are changing the way you think in the process and also educating yourself. No one is saying you have to become a fitness or nutrition expert overnight. You just need to make wiser choices for you.

Probably the biggest piece of advice I can give to anyone embarking on this journey, especially if you have a lot of weight to lose....is to work on your brain. Honestly, it is ALL mental. You absolutely need to change your relationship with food and change how you view food for this to be a permanent change.

I used to think I had to starve and suffer and was basically afraid of food. Yes, I LOVED it and used it to comfort myself, but that wasn't a healthy way of looking at it. I still enjoy food. I love to cook and go out for a nice meal and try different things but I think of it in a completely different way now. I love how you can add a ton of interesting flavors with herbs and spices without a lot of fat. I love realizing that you can enjoy delicious meals and still lose weight. I love that nourising and fueling your body just feels SOO great that it becomes easy to eat healthy. My body protests now if I even eat ONE french fry because I have gotten so used to not eating it and my body is HAPPY because of it.

I just wish I could pass on the willpower I have been granted while on this journey. I am a religious person and pray DAILY for many things, and included in those prayers are that I can continue on this journey with the same willpower and strength that has gotten me this far. I also pray that all of you can find that same strength and willpower to reach YOUR goals.

I haven't come to these realizations overnight. It took many failed attempts to lose weight for me to realize that this HAS to be done right for it to be forever. Yes, losing weight slow and healthy WILL take longer but it won't take near as long as you think IF you stay focused and keep on, keepin on!! September 6th will be ONE year to the day that I started this. And the way my life has changed in this year is astounding!! And by taking the time to change my relationship with food, I am going to enjoy the HOPEFULLY many years to come so much more!

So, the point of this is that I want all of you who are struggling to try to view things differently. Think about why food is even here. It is here to fuel us. To give us energy. To keep us alive. Yes, it can bring us joy and give us something great to taste but that CAN be done in a healthy way too. Food is supposed to contribute to our health, not take away from it. When you start thinking of it that way, it becomes SO easy to eat the foods that will nourish you.

Good luck everyone!!!! I KNOW you can do this!!! You are all in my prayers!

:flowerforyou:
-Tami

Replies

• TamTastic
    Options
    Hey all!

I have gotten a lot of emails asking me how I have managed to lose the weight I have. I am happy to receive and answer any email I get but just wanted to post something for those that might not feel comfortable emailing me.

I am not an expert by any means, though I feel like I have learned a lot over the past few months. The thing is, I didn't put too much pressure on myself. I started by making one small change after another. At first I just started lowering my calories, then after a few weeks, I started to pay attention to where those calories were coming from, which lead to getting more nutritious foods into my body.....like whole grains, healthy fats, lean protein, low-fat dairy, fruits and veggies. Also, from day ONE, I was drinking a lot of water. I have these cups I got from Ikea...and each one holds 24 ounces. I drink one first thing in the morning before I even allow myself my one mug of coffee for the day. My goal in the day is to drink down at least 3 of these cups, but I often get more than that. Then, that lead to watching my sodium intake....and then I started to add more exercise, slowly upping the time and resistance as I went along. I used to hate exercise and now I absolutely LOVE it and love how it makes me feel.

My point is that if you just take it a week at a time and take baby steps as you go, you start to realize that these changes are almost happening automatically because you are changing the way you think in the process and also educating yourself. No one is saying you have to become a fitness or nutrition expert overnight. You just need to make wiser choices for you.

Probably the biggest piece of advice I can give to anyone embarking on this journey, especially if you have a lot of weight to lose....is to work on your brain. Honestly, it is ALL mental. You absolutely need to change your relationship with food and change how you view food for this to be a permanent change.

I used to think I had to starve and suffer and was basically afraid of food. Yes, I LOVED it and used it to comfort myself, but that wasn't a healthy way of looking at it. I still enjoy food. I love to cook and go out for a nice meal and try different things but I think of it in a completely different way now. I love how you can add a ton of interesting flavors with herbs and spices without a lot of fat. I love realizing that you can enjoy delicious meals and still lose weight. I love that nourising and fueling your body just feels SOO great that it becomes easy to eat healthy. My body protests now if I even eat ONE french fry because I have gotten so used to not eating it and my body is HAPPY because of it.

I just wish I could pass on the willpower I have been granted while on this journey. I am a religious person and pray DAILY for many things, and included in those prayers are that I can continue on this journey with the same willpower and strength that has gotten me this far. I also pray that all of you can find that same strength and willpower to reach YOUR goals.

I haven't come to these realizations overnight. It took many failed attempts to lose weight for me to realize that this HAS to be done right for it to be forever. Yes, losing weight slow and healthy WILL take longer but it won't take near as long as you think IF you stay focused and keep on, keepin on!! September 6th will be ONE year to the day that I started this. And the way my life has changed in this year is astounding!! And by taking the time to change my relationship with food, I am going to enjoy the HOPEFULLY many years to come so much more!

So, the point of this is that I want all of you who are struggling to try to view things differently. Think about why food is even here. It is here to fuel us. To give us energy. To keep us alive. Yes, it can bring us joy and give us something great to taste but that CAN be done in a healthy way too. Food is supposed to contribute to our health, not take away from it. When you start thinking of it that way, it becomes SO easy to eat the foods that will nourish you.

Good luck everyone!!!! I KNOW you can do this!!! You are all in my prayers!

:flowerforyou:
    -Tami
  • emikarls
    emikarls Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I've said it before, and I'll say it again...YOU ROCK!
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!:flowerforyou:
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, you truly have been an inspiration for so many of us!!!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    YEY YOU!!! And as a woman, how do you feel about your workout calories? Eat them or not? :happy:
  • neha_duvvuri
    neha_duvvuri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tam! I was loosing hope on repetitive failure. Will take one step at a time now.
    You have a glowing skin. How do you deal with Stretch marks/Cellulite/Loose skin(if any)?
    Thanks again!
  • crazychick
    Options
    wow your whole outlook and attitude is amazing! could you box it up and ship some over?! :laugh:
    you've done so well and i totally agree with all the girls on here...such an inspiration!
    Well done u!!
    :bigsmile:
  • Canelitas
    Canelitas Posts: 712
    Options
    Hey Tami - Thank You for your words of encouragement and prayers ... I have over 180 pounds to lose, :blushing:

You Inspire Me .... Congrats! :flowerforyou:
  • dejones
    dejones Posts: 41
    Options
    Thanks so much, I enjoy reading your posts.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Sweet lady-- God bless you.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    YEY YOU!!! And as a woman, how do you feel about your workout calories? Eat them or not? :happy:
    Oh girl! I eat at least SOME of them every time I workout! Heck, it motivates me a little more some days and I add a few more minutes!

Do I just eat health food all day?? NAHHH!! I eat my light ice cream! Yesterday, I had a HUGE workout...so I had a healthy banana split!! LOL! I sliced a banana, with a scoop of Breyers ff chocolate cookies n cream ice cream and a drizzle of hersheys lite syrup! It was GOOOOOD TOO!! :wink:

But, I do eat good for me foods most of the day and then I get to the evening and feel good about having a treat! :)
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Thanks Tam! I was loosing hope on repetitive failure. Will take one step at a time now.
    You have a glowing skin. How do you deal with Stretch marks/Cellulite/Loose skin(if any)?
    Thanks again!

Well, I do have some "marks" on my belly..but part of it is from pregnancy. I am not overly concerned. I mean, I am never going to be PERFECT but I am accepting of myself..and learning to love who I am. I mean, I am losing the weight and healthier....I might as well enjoy life and stop stressing over every litlte imperfection! LOL!

Cellulite will lessen as you do a lot of cardio and melt the fat off.....and the stuff that doesnt....well, thank your ancestors and just focus on the purty things on your body! :)

I have a little loose skin in a couple of areas I am trying to work on. Mainly my upper/inner thighs and my tricep area. *Shrug*...whatever. I will work on it and deal with it. It's a small price to pay for being able to shop anywhere and buy cute clothes and have tons of energy!

And my glowing skin?? Thanks!!! I appreciate it. I honestly think its due to the exercise and water I get. Trust me, your body will appreciate being treated right and will REWARD you for it!!! :wink:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    You really are an inspiration to me(and I know many, many more)!!! I keep telling myself slow and steady wins the race, but sometimes it just gets so frustrating.

Thanks for sharing your positive outlook!:flowerforyou:
  • tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    You are awesome............... and it's almost your first birthday... aww

That's how I refer to October 1st.... it'll my the first birthday in my new life :). I HOPE to join your 100 lb club by then ...
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Tam-
    Thank you for the advice and motivation. You really are an amazing person. I look forward to your posts, as they are always good for a laugh or a feel good moment, or just plain learning how to do better with my
    weight loss goals.

Rae
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    thanx for the encouragement and insight i know u r right!!! congrats on your success :flowerforyou:
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I read everything you post. you are amazing and inspiring to me. Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Hey all! I just wanted to give an example of my breakfast and how I plan it out to fuel myself.

I had a Thomas light multi-grain english muffin toasted with 2 oz of egg whites (I buy the liquid egg whites to have around). I just nuked them and then put on 1 1/2 slices of low-fat canadian bacon and 2 tbsp of 2% sharp cheddar cheese.

This breakfast was 200 cals, 5 g fat, 8 g fiber and 21 g protein. I mean, that is one fuel-packed breakfast. Plus it tastes great!! I am going to add a yogurt or a banana here in a few as well.

:bigsmile:
    Tami
  • Laine
    Laine Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hey! Thaks for sharing your advice and story (on the other page). I too always pay attention to your posts and use your success to deep me motivated. You seem normal and down to earth--somone I think we all can relate to! Keep on keepin on and huge congrats!!:flowerforyou:
  • johnsscarlett
    johnsscarlett Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You really do inspire me! I read your post and they are always so uplifting. I'm not surprised that you are a praying person. Me too. I am going to print your post and keep reading it! Thanks