Texting during Workouts

Options

Replies

• LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    At my gym - you arent SUPPOSED to be allowed on cell phones/using them while on equiptment.
    You could seriously hurt yourself if you arent paying attention.
  • lestahling
    lestahling Posts: 36
    Options
    I usually never do, but my ipod died once... I tried to text on the elliptical and almost fell off.
    Nipped that habit in the bud. :laugh:
    But, I can't even walk and text, much less operate workout equipment. :laugh:
  • VICKYORTIZ
    VICKYORTIZ Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    agree!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I don't care what other people do unless it directly prevents me from doing what I am there to do. I can't text/talk when I'm working out, but I don't get bothered if other people do.

Except that one loud lawyer. He nearly got a neck punch.
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am one who uses my phone at the gym.

Only because I do not own an mp3 player or ipod.

Also, I like to photograph the treadmill when I reach a new PB. ;

Only time you will see me actually TOUCHING my phone, it to remove it from the cup holder, snap a pic AFTER my run, or to turn on or off a C25K mp3. ;)
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I play words with friends and chat with my friends on mfp on my ipod when I am on the elliptical... and I AM hauling *kitten* while doing it... I have my ipod on, mind my own business and am quiet... I don't see why my texting should bother someone... if you are focused on your own workout, then what I am doing shouldn't bother you... as long as I am not just sitting on a machine and not working out while texting, or participating in a class, then I don't think it is a problem. And I am going to keep doing it. I don't mean to sound rude... but I just don't see why this is an issue. :huh:
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I see it all the time too. It doesn't bother me unless it's holding ME up from my workout. Like if some one is just hanging out and texting on a weight machine that I want to use, then it pisses me off.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    SOME of us are inputting calories/miles/heartrate into an application.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    What bugs me more is when people are talking on the phone, and doing so loudly and obnoxiously.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I think I'd fall off the machine! I can barely handle watching the little personal television without losing my balance >.>
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    s220091406.jpg
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    s220091406.jpg

ROFL
  • LauraSchaller
    LauraSchaller Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty as charged when it comes to "Texting while Working Out".

However.. I work from home, and therefore I'm constantly ALWAYS working. Always answering my phone when it rings, responding to a text message, or replying to an email. Just because I'm at the gym, doesn't mean that I can step away from work-life. It's just part of the whole "work from home" concept in the industry I work in.

My phone also houses all my music via Sprint Music Store - so if I want my music, I have my Blackberry with me.

Everyone has their personal reasons .. as long as it's not dampering your work-out - don't worry about it :) Keep your own focus, don't worry about anyone else.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I could care less as long as they are not in my way...some ppl sit and talk on machines with their friends next to them and they are not even using the darn thing....they r just using the area as a chair to sit....GO HOME and sit!!!!!!! GOSH!!! I'm sorry....having a flashback of this morning...

Regarding the texting...I don't care what others are doing...as long as I can get my workout on...
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    s220091406.jpg

Lololololol!!
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,337 Member
    Options
    I always take my Droid in with me because it has my music on it. I always run on the treadmill first and could not possibly mess with my phone while running my 3-4 miles.

But then if I have time to hit the stationary recumbent bike, I will MFP or Words with Friends (WWF) up a storm ... while maintaining a pace sufficient enough to keep the sweat rolling!!! :)

However, I wait until I'm on a foam mat in the cooldown/stretching area to enter my workouts into RunKeeper Pro.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Um. I can still be working out hard and use my phone. It's no more distracting than pushing the buttons on the cardio machine. I use my phone for Pandora radio, so a lot of the time I'm just skipping songs, etc. I'll also input stuff into MFP while working out... and texting, checking FB... sure. Doesn't mean I'm not sweating.

I get more annoyed by people who talk on the phone...
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I text all the time while im running laps in our rec center. Can still run an average of an 8 minute mile. I may look ridiculous but it takes my mind off of the run. And I can do it for at least 60 minutes. I bust my *kitten* and text. Like a boss :)))

I really dont get annoyed at anyone at the gym, at least they are there trying to workout rather then sitting on the couch.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    if you can text or use phone WHILE "working out"...then you are'nt working very hard, lol.
    i dont think I could. even on a bike. I dont do long stints of cardio (its a little bit of a waste), i usually do sprints and intervals, achieve's the same result.

i generally leave it in the car...as it would distract me...
    i like to get in the zone. texting, or even reading a text could hurt that hahaha.
  • 3bree375
    3bree375 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't mind people texting during their workouts... it doesn't affect me at all. However, yesterday at the gym a couple was making out on the treadmill. GROSS... this is the GYM... the one place that should be free of PDA!! It wasn't just a peck either. Gross, I don't want to see that while working out

HAHAHA! Really?!? That is another kind on workout they were preparing for I suppose.
    But yuck!!