Texting during Workouts

Options

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I text all the time while im running laps in our rec center. Can still run an average of an 8 minute mile. I may look ridiculous but it takes my mind off of the run. And I can do it for at least 60 minutes. I bust my *kitten* and text. Like a boss :)))

I really dont get annoyed at anyone at the gym, at least they are there trying to workout rather then sitting on the couch.

ily. <3
  • redhead91
    redhead91 Posts: 251
    Options
    I don't really care...I use my iPhone while I'm on the elliptical. I don't pay attention to what other people are doing.

Me too. I feel really dumb knowing that other people actually care what I do at the gym. My husband will be doing weight lifting and I'll text him something like "Just burn 150 calories!" Also, I sometimes read on my iPhone. I'd rather do that than watch tv!!

I live on an Air Force base so most people working out here actually really care about fitness. The only people at the gym that actually bother me are the women who only seem to go to show their bodies. I just really don't want to stare at some woman's butt in the air when she could've easily done her done the same routine (no machine used) at home. Otherwise, I don't really care what other people do at the gym.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm a textaholic, like most twenty somethings... and even tho I don't go to the gym... I text while doing my walks... and riding my bike. But trust me, I'm still working it! haha.
  • cm40
    cm40 Posts: 30
    Options
    If you can text while working out, you're not really working out.
  • cm40
    cm40 Posts: 30
    Options
    and to add to my statement above..... .If you're paying attention to what others are doing, you're not working out either.

I'll use my phone (Android) before a workout to upload a pic of the WOD (workout of the day) on the whiteboard (it's a crossfit thing) and I upload it to facebook to share with friends.
    Then I put my phone away, warm up, start the workout, then I cool down before I think of getting my phone.
    Afterwards I input my calories (heart rate monitor) into my Google Calendar on my phone so I can keep track of my workouts, times, and rounds completed, then add the calories to MyFitnessPal, and check some replies from facebook from friends replying to my post about my workout.

I see reasons why people may be on their phone at the gym, but if you're texting or watching people text you may need to step up your workout.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    The only time it bugs me is if someone is stationary and hogging a piece of equipment/machinery so they can stop and text. If you want to text (or talk or whatever) then please MOVE.

Agreed. I could care less if somebody wants to attempt to text and use a piece of cardio equipment at the same time, it's their body they will injure if they choose to be unsafe...but...there's one guy at my gym who literally sits on one of the strength machines (just sitting, not actually using the machine) and yaks on the phone for at least 10 minutes at a time...one night last week I patiently waited for him to move on to another piece of equipment and did ALL my other machines...but 10 minutes later he was still sitting there and still not using the machine. I went over and said very sweetly (and loudly) "hi there do you mind if I work in with you?" he got up, walked away, and went to sit on a different piece of equipment and continue his conversation...

I understand I should be paying attention to my own workout, "don't judge" and to each his own and all that...but I'm sorry, if you are preventing me from getting MY workout in at the gym that I PAY for because you're sitting on your *kitten* on the phone and you're not even using the machines you're SITTING on, it's irritating and incredibly rude...I will say something.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i see it too..they arent even concentrating on their workouts. i see guys do this too. just the other day i saw a woman on the lat pull down machine with her phone in the crook of her neck talking..really?

i for one leave my phone in my truck..
  • EnlessDayDreamer
    Options
    Honestly i am kind of impressed by people that text while they work out. Im am the kind of person that needs to fully focus on my music and my work out. My phone gets put away for that time. Dont get me wrong being away from my cell for even a minute kills me but it must be done.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    They're entering their exercise calories so they can work out how much they need to eat back later :wink:
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I do think that if you're able to text/chat during exercise you're not working hard enough!
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I dont mind people texting as it's not bothering me and I am on the edge of my seat to see if they will lose concentration and fall off the treadmill!

I HATE when someone is chatting away on the phone though! That irritates me muchly! Especially when they are so loud I can hear them over my ipod which is on max volume!!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    it's not too hard to see why other countries hate us.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I can see both sides of it.

Personally I find that my focus is better if I leave my phone in the car. So the majority of the time I'll do that.

But if you're lifting heavy, and taking 2-3 minutes between each set, its a lot of down time to just sit in the gym. So texting is a fun way to fill that time.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    But gyms are soooo boring! What do you do/think about while you "concentrate on working out"? I don't use gyms for just that reason, they bore me witless. Give me a nice sociable class, or a run with nice views any day.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I text all the time while im running laps in our rec center. Can still run an average of an 8 minute mile. I may look ridiculous but it takes my mind off of the run. And I can do it for at least 60 minutes. I bust my *kitten* and text. Like a boss :)))

I really dont get annoyed at anyone at the gym, at least they are there trying to workout rather then sitting on the couch.

AGREED!!!
  • dlindsay524
    dlindsay524 Posts: 16
    Options
    It drives me insane, the gym is my personal place to get away from everything and everyone. No offense to anyone that likes to do it, course it doesn't happen much with me. My gym is one provided for free where I work and most people don't use it. While I'm ranting there are some people that use it though and we have a TV, it always ends up on Food Network, which I love but really? Really? Watching Paula Dean bake a 7 layer chocolate cake while trying to run....Ok, I'm done on my soapbox. To end on a positive note I'm just glad that people get into the gym, no matter what it takes to get them there :)
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I use an app on my phone to log my strength training. It may appear that I'm texting, but I'm not! :)
  • ruffledviolet
    ruffledviolet Posts: 260
    Options
    It drives me insane, the gym is my personal place to get away from everything and everyone. No offense to anyone that likes to do it, course it doesn't happen much with me. My gym is one provided for free where I work and most people don't use it. While I'm ranting there are some people that use it though and we have a TV, it always ends up on Food Network, which I love but really? Really? Watching Paula Dean bake a 7 layer chocolate cake while trying to run....Ok, I'm done on my soapbox. To end on a positive note I'm just glad that people get into the gym, no matter what it takes to get them there :)
    I don't like the food network in general. but I especially hate it at the gym.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Someone was texting in my spinning class last night. I thought it was pretty rude.
  • dlindsay524
    dlindsay524 Posts: 16
    Options
    I love to cook and partly because of the food network it inspires me, sadly it also inspires me to eat lol Tis a blessing and a curse :)