Did you always have a weight problem or no?

Options
13»

Replies

• SoFancySoBlessed
    SoFancySoBlessed Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    No problems here! I was a cheerleader in high school always very active, even after my first son was born, i dropped that "baby weight" like nothing....it wasnt until i had my second son that i noticed i was not fitting into my clothes anymore...i even breast fed cause they said it would help me make the weight come off faster (wrong) :angry: ....that i think made me depressed and i ate more, plus life stresses...work school, etc. I figure whatever the reason, thank God i found MFP! :heart: :heart: :heart: Yall are awesome! :bigsmile:
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I never had a weight problem in my life until I hit my mid fifties. I could always eat anything and everything and all I wanted and gain nothing. I could eat a whole large pizza by myself and just could not understand people eating only two or three pieces and worrying about it. Then around 53 years of age I started to gain, and wound up gaining 50+ pounds over just a year or two. I have lost most of the excess weight since then but it has taken enormous effort. In stark contrast with most of my life I now gain weight very easily. I have to count calories and exercise like crazy or weight just piles on. It seems so unfair, but I know many people face this decades before I did. I still don’t understand what happened, but I now see almost overnight impact if I make poor food choices. Crazy!
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I was skinny my whole life but I always thought I was fat. I went through puberty before anyone else so I was taller and more filled out than all of my friends, so in my eyes that made me fat. Once my friends caught up though, I was the shortest one but I still thought I was fat. I was about 120 when I graduated (which is my goal now) and I swore back then I was a cow! I guess I never really noticed that I put on weight after moving in with my boyfriend because I had always thought I was big.

I swear though, my weight will never be a problem again!! I realize now how tiny I was back then and I will appreciate it when I do reach my goal. Only 10 more lbs!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I've never had a weight problem as an adult. I was quite a podgy child, until I was about 16, then I was borderline anorexic for several years. I was a normal weight until I had children, then put on about a stone (sometimes ballooning to 2 stone), which I have only just shifted this past 6 months since joining MFP.
  • nkenga
    nkenga Posts: 46
    Options
    I never had a problem with my weight until I moved back to my hometown and began a MUCH more sedentary lifestyle - I gained 30 pounds in the first 3 months, just because I wasn't walking as much. I was able to lose most of it once I started exercising again. However, a few years later, pregnancy and severe depression caused me to go from ~145 to 170 (after childbirth). I lost 20 pounds of it, but as soon as I got depressed again and stopped exercising and started overeating, I gained it back.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I never had a weight problem,but I spent many years on meth.So after spending so many years barely eating my body wasnt used to getting food everyday so when I quit drugs in 2006 I put on weight really fast add into that 2 months after I quit I got pregnant and then put on bed rest for the last 3 months i gained 100 pounds in less than a year.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I wasn't ever really fat but even when I played soccer and ran track and whatever age I was. . I always hated my belly. I wasn't fat but never really had a waist. All my fat went to my belly or core area and I didn't like my shape. I didn't know how to lose weight except for running, but that never changed me enough.

Doing low carb/low sugar PLUS learning how to work out with weights, cables, machines, etc. . THAT changed things for the better. I wish someone taught me that stuff in high school. I learned around age 28.

me too!! i remember being 135 in high school and i never had a flat stomach, i just assumed it was hereditary. I was small, but i've always had fat on my belly :( i can't wait til i can have a flat stomach, and it's going to happen!
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I started gaining weight about the age of....8yo. I will always consider myself someone who's "always been fat" because I can't honestly remember a time in my life when I wasn't.
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    I was skinny until age 9 - then I had some pudginess - then around 13 I grew taller and slimmed up some but kids were so cruel I was called fat - when all I really had was some belly pudge. I was about 135 pounds and wore a size 7/8 -on a 5foot 5 frame at the time. Kids were just mean! Into my teens i was around a size 12 and 155 to 165 pounds on average, sometimes dipping down to 150 or up to 170 - and then around age 17 i plumped up to over 200 pounds, at age 18 i got back to the 170s - and then shot back up and up and up and up after that!!!!! All the way up to 327 at age 26 - but now coming back down from that! Currently at 236 -Never wanna go back!! My life has been a big yo yo I swear!!
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I was always told I was a chub.. as with you looking back I wasn't..

Now, I believe I had more of a lifestyle problem.. that produced a weight problem. The weight on my body is a symptom of an unhealthy lifestye.

Saying that, as a youth I was in dance/gymnastics for 10+ years, I grew up on a go-kart track pushing and pulling on things constantly, had older uncles and a brother that I was always rough housing with or playing sports.... I think that kept me slim.. even though we ate poorly.

I was not taught how to eat healthy as my parents today still eat very unhealthy.. so I guess I always had problems it wasn't until after my kids and life got out of control that I got so heavy.

So not sure if I have always had a weight problem.. I definately have always had things that contributed to an unhealthy lifestyle.
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I was a buck 5 till I turned 19 and switched from depo to the pill. I also quit aderall for ADHD and started hollistic remedies (such as running and swimming). I was always athletic, swim team, soccer, feild hockey, track, cross country. When I stopped sports and went to art school I kept eating like I was on sports teams. that cought up to me I've had to admit that now with a sedintary job (social worker at shelter) and will be 26 in june I need to watch the portions.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I was always in great shape up until I had my baby....wait...let me try that again. I was always in great shape until after college and when I got married. I got comfortable in life and at my desk job. It wasn't until I was into my 30s did I start to look like an amoeba.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    I was thin as a child.With 10 siblings,the food was scarce.I gained my wt after 7 pregnacies.Still trying to get the baby fat off,my daughter is 14.
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I never had a problem with my weight til about two years ago I gained 30 pounds rapidly and i've been trying to get rid of it ever since. It was my Junior year in College and I just got comfy in my dorm i guess lol
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    THIS IS ME. Didn't realize I was gaining, cuz I was used to being the pretty one. Finally woke up and realized I was the chubby one. Not a good realization, but better than denial.

I have not always had a weight problem. I used to weight about 133 without ever really trying...that was through about 2006/2007. I gained weight...lost it in 2008 then stopped working out and I've gained it back plus some...now here I am. It's hard knowing that I used to be one way and now I'm not. I actually hardly ever socialize anymore because I don't feel adequate. I used to be the "skinny" friend and the girl all the guys wanted to talk to (not that it matters anymore with my boyfriend but it's a nice ego boost! When I met him I was skinny and and he would brag about was how hot I was...he doesn't do that anymore) It's definitely led me to where I am because I didn't realize really that I was gaining weight while I was because I had this image of me and who I was and had been my whole life. And I think it makes it harder now because It's hard to accept that I really do have to change the way I do things and eat and everything when I didn't have to before. Granted I've struggled for about 5 years now...but that's 5 out of 27.

But nope, you're not the only one
  • Autumn1206
    Autumn1206 Posts: 126
    Options
    I didn't really have a problem with weight - until a traumatic experience in 2006, and I started taking a medication to help me with PTSD. I gained about 15 pounds, but didn't really worry. Then I started birth control, and I gained another 10. My husband was pleased, so I didn't worry. Then a few years after that, I got pregnant and gained 80 which sucked, and turned 30 which didn't suck, but it's like weight just doesn't come off like it used to when I was in my 20's. I don't really miss my twenties, but I'd like my body back, please!
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I was a stick until age 8, where then a mass of hormones helped me increase my mass by the age of 9 I was about 120 and high school I graduated I was about 150-165, I then went to 145-150 right before I had my son which I stayed at 155 the whole pregnancy. as soon as I was put on depo I gained up to 220 lbs which I reduced to 175 and then when I started to get right this year starting at 210 and at this moment I am 195.