Did jogging/running really make a difference (toning your bo

Options
Hey guys, I just started the couch to 5k program. I was wondering for those of you who went from not running to runners did you notice a change in your body? More definition, tone, less cellulite, what have you?

I'm excited to see the difference in my body and will take pics to document my progress, but I was wondering what you guys experienced.

Replies

• adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I saw a HUGE difference. I have always been a work out fanatic but I didn't see the changes that I wanted in my lower body until I started to run over 5 miles everyday. I'm not cellulite free and happy :)
  • emmap123b
    emmap123b Posts: 17
    Options
    i would like to know the answer to this to i hate running but everyone has said to me its the best way to tone your stomach is this true
  • cassieday
    cassieday Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It made a HUGE difference!!! Not only has it slimmed my butt and hips but it has actually been adding tone to my abs!!!! It works everything and is the best workout if you want to get all your muscles working!!! I found that doing intervals is the best because it is less damaging to your joints and still gives you a killer work out!!! I started at a 1-1 (1 min run, 1 min walk) and am not at a 3-1 and am shooting for a 5-1. It has been awesome!
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    yes def, do walking as well and have nearly rid all my cellulite, and drink about 14 glasses of water a day:smile:
  • teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    it took a few months of running 15k a week, but my handlebars are gone from the sides of my stomach.... !!! and the run is sooo freeing... i love it!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I have always been a hips/butt girl. NO longer!! Running has taken care of that. I wish I could say I was cellulite free, but I'm just not there yet. It has also taken care of the "bags" on my upper thighs.

I completely agree about drinking water too!! It's one of the best things that you can do for cellulite.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I love running, however, if it isn't matched with weight training, it can cause you to lose muscle as well, (which is some of what the "slimming" is)

So make sure to lift weights too!

But running is great for the legs!
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    I started running in Jan '11, I did enjoy it, but I hate it now....just requires too much energy lol I got a bike and prefer that, I also got kit at home and prefer weights, however this said and in ans to q, yes I think running kick started me after a plateau.
  • aub7
    aub7 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I noticed a big difference when I started running. I didn't do measurements or weigh myself then, but it totally toned my stomach, arms, and legs. And doing intervals is a great work out!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    C25K took 10 inches off each thigh for me. I feel like it's given me more definition than any other toning exercise I've tried
  • aneumany
    aneumany Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    i saw a huge difference in my legs and my butt...and as far as ur stomach, i have always DESPISED running, its sooooooooooooo boring! however, ive managed to make myself do it, and i was running 3-5 times a week and doing intervals as well.. and when i first starting running, it would feel like id done an INTENSE ab workout, i was askin ppl if it was normal bc they were so sore, and i didnt think it was doing much for my stomach anymore until i stopped running for the past week and already see it startin to expand again.. going back tonight!! lol hope this helps! runnin is GREAT for blastin fat and calories! i think intervals are the way to go! theyre awesome! hope this helps! good luck!

oh and DEFINATELY still lift weights.. i try to do legs twice a week if i can, i lift heavy, i think toned legs are sexy, plus theyre like the biggest muscle group in ur body, so they keep ya burning!
  • Theweebarrell
    Theweebarrell Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    do you thinks it matters if you run on a treadmill instead of outside, will you get the same results?
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Definately! I just started running 6 days a week about 3 weeks ago, and I can't believe the change I have seen in my body. My friends have even said that running has only seemed to enhance my curves! :) Exactly what I was afraid of losing!
  • mtizy
    mtizy Posts: 38
    Options
    This was all motivating, want to go for a run now. :)
  • ilovebiccies
    Options
    glad to hear all this girls...just wish it didnt take months..i like immediate results!!! i have just completed week four of couch 2 5 k and although it is slow i think i have def seen a change in shape. slowly but surely i guess!!

just wondering...are you all just running or do you have to do toning classes or anything along with it?
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Weight training will have a much more dramatic effect on the look of your body. I used to do long distance running but not anymore. Weights and intervals.
  • caharms
    caharms Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wait til you hit weeks 5 and 6 on C25K you'll hate it and love it at the same time. The running is definitely tightening things up for me because my pants fit differently a bit looser but I haven't seen big changes yet. Unless you count how you feel after you've completed the run. Great.
  • starboardzor
    starboardzor Posts: 312
    Options
    Yes! It makes a huge difference! But I realized since finding this site, that it doesn't make hardly any if you aren't watching your diet. I ran and ran and ran for years, but I ate horribly thinking I could do so because I was a runner. And I couldn't lose a single pound from running. Since finding this site, it's been phenomenal.

good diet + running = big changes. So you're in the right place.
  • LatriceCarroll
    Options
    It made a HUGE difference!!! Not only has it slimmed my butt and hips but it has actually been adding tone to my abs!!!! It works everything and is the best workout if you want to get all your muscles working!!! I found that doing intervals is the best because it is less damaging to your joints and still gives you a killer work out!!! I started at a 1-1 (1 min run, 1 min walk) and am not at a 3-1 and am shooting for a 5-1. It has been awesome!

Does running and walking in intervals tone your leggs?
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    glad to hear all this girls...just wish it didnt take months..i like immediate results!!! i have just completed week four of couch 2 5 k and although it is slow i think i have def seen a change in shape. slowly but surely i guess!!

just wondering...are you all just running or do you have to do toning classes or anything along with it?

i am currently training for the RAGNAR RELAY which is a 12 person relay of 187 miles. and they have a great little training schedule that I am currently doing and I think that I will continue to progress on even after the relay... I did the relay last year and got through week 10... this year I was able to print it and start at week 9... so Its a good reference to go off of.. its MWFS(mon, wed,fri,sat) runs Tue,thur, crosstraining (I weight lift) and then SUNDAY you rest.... if you want to push yourself its a good beginners race plan!

http://www.ragnarrelay.com/race/northwestpassage/begin