Did jogging/running really make a difference (toning your bo

Options

Replies

• starboardzor
    starboardzor Posts: 312
    Options
    Weight training will have a much more dramatic effect on the look of your body. I used to do long distance running but not anymore. Weights and intervals.

Same here. I'm contemplating if I'm going to ever return to marathon running at this stage. I've achieved far more with my figure through HIIT and heavy weightlifting. But mentally/emotionally I love to run - it's very peaceful and calms me right down.

I agree with you guys. Strength training changed my body much more significantly than running ever did. However, doing both has given me great results. Plus I don't believe anything replaces running outside. But I do it more for how it makes me feel. And for the endurance it gives. It just can't be mimicked by any other exercise. It's a survival thing. Someone with a lot of muscles might be able to beat me up, but he's gonna have to catch me first.
  • LixxiKitti
    LixxiKitti Posts: 116
    Options
    What a great topic. My two cents/thoughts:

I do agree that weight/strength training probably does change your body shape more.
    HOWEVER - as someone who in the past has really struggled with exercise, I've discovered i really LOVE running and now i do it all the time (every day), so in that sense I think i would prefer to stick with something i like than struggle with something i have a real mental block on (weights).

anyway- original question:
    Yes - running has done me LOADS of good - not just energy/emotionally-wise but my legs and butt are much slimmer, i have little/no cellulite left, and great muscle tone in my thighs....my stomach (MAJOR PROBLEM AREA) is not toned but alot of the excess fat has gone.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of fat running. It is my main exercise and I lost inches very fast when I started out. My legs look better too.
  • fteale
    Options
    Running legs 4639562_4192.jpg
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I dropped the first 30 doing a c25k. mostly I lost fat off my torso, which is where I had the most of it built up...go for it!
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kimkimchi
    kimkimchi Posts: 58
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!

For those of you who do run and saw results, what frequency/intensity do you guys run? (i.e. how many times do you run per week and for what distance)
  • fteale
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!

For those of you who do run and saw results, what frequency/intensity do you guys run? (i.e. how many times do you run per week and for what distance)

I run twice a week, usually 10k a time, or 7 if I am going offroad or doing hills.
  • RiaLucia
    RiaLucia Posts: 121
    Options
    When I first started, I was going about 2-3X per week for 3 miles as a run/walk. Eventually that all turned into run. (Slow, plodding run compared to many, but still definitely not walking.) Lately for various reasons--some valid excuses, some less so--I've only been going once a week for about 3.4-ish miles. I'd like to get up to at least 3x a week by summer.

And I can't even use weather as an excuse. I live in Southern California.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    it definately helps pad the diet to give you room for some extra calories.
    or it helps created a greater caloric deficit.

I lose a ton during the summer from the increase in running.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

intervals will bulk your legs...

how_about_no.jpg

it's not gonna make you big and bulky. It takes years and years to build significant mass.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I trained for a half marathon and didn't lose any weight. I was disappointed but I think it had to do with me being SOOOO hungry all of the time. I am starting to train for another in a couple of weeks and have decided to exchange those foods with healthy foods to ease my hunger and hopefully I will lose this time.

It can actually be difficult to train for any sort of distance racing and lose weight. In part becuase of how you have to eat to sustain your runs and ensure proper recovery. I'm playing around w/my diet now in my "down" time to hopefully become less reliant on carbs when I ramp back up this fall. I'll lose weight up until I start hitting about 20 miles a week b/c I really don't eat any differently, but once I hit that point it usually means I have a couple of 6+ mile runs a week plus a couple of shorter runs and I pay much closer attention to how I am feeling vs. how much weight I am losing.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!

Depends....If you are just starting pick a race, register, and start a training program. Several people have already mentioned Couch to 5k (C25K) and runnersworld.com has some great programs.

I just started running for 2-3 minutes at a time, until I had run a total of 15 minutes. Then I started lengthening those intervals until I could run for 15 mins straight then built from there. I ran my first 5k, went right home, and started looking for my first half marathon. Found a program on line @ runnersworld.com, and ran my first 10 Mile race and my first half marathon less than 6 months later.
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options
    I only STARTED running in 2006! Since that time, I've run 2 full marathons and multiple half marathons. I had already lost 50 pounds through diet and exercise, by that time. So the biggest changes I've seen in my body, has been improvements in my ENDURANCE, my MENTAL WELLBEING and in my overall HEALTH. (I don't catch colds or get the sniffles, hardly EVER!)

Honestly, I was disappointed, because although my legs are rock solid... they're not as "defined" as I'd hoped they would be by this point. However, I've neglected hitting the weights at the gym, and definitely need to reintroduce that into my regular training.

I'm still a "heavy" girl! I'm still hovering right around 160lbs... and that's just not ideal for my height (I'm 5'4"). I need to drop at least another 20lbs, and thought that I would do it with running, diet & cross training. It's frustrating, but I don't give up!! I'm healthier now than I've ever been!!

:flowerforyou: Angie
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Well there's still too much fat to tell...as far as tone. But I HAVE noticed a difference in the cellulite on the back of my legs. Possibly from weight loss alone, but no matter what, I'm happy. I find it a lot easier to push myself when it comes to running because you can tell yourself just 30 MORE sec or .25 MORE miles. or .2mph FASTER.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Most any sort of heavy activity will result in more tone, weight loss, etc. I like to run. BUT

RUNNING IS NOT THE MOST EFFECTIVE WAY TO TONE.

http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/The_Final_Nail_in_the_Cardio_Coffin.cfm

(I feel like I've started preaching here but I'm serious)
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I want to run. But i just think i look so stupid. Its all in my head. But i can not stop it. What can i do to change this. . My son runs alot. I want him and i to run this summer ..
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I want to run. But i just think i look so stupid. Its all in my head. But i can not stop it. What can i do to change this. . My son runs alot. I want him and i to run this summer ..

Don't think about it, just go and do it! If you can go early in the morning, so much the better. In a park early in the morning is even better! If I'd dwelled upon the idea of doing c25k, I would have found lots of excuses to not do it - mostly due to vanity! However, without thinking about it, I mentioned it to my partner when he asked if there was anything he could do to be more supportive - he immediately said, "OK then, we'll do it" and a few days later we started! We're only on Week 2 but already we're noticing a difference...and I have to tell you that I look like a doddery old lady by the time I'm halfway through a session. I'm not giving up though, and I don't care if anyone else thinks I look silly - it's none of their business!

Regarding results - even having done only four sessions, I am already seeing and feeling a difference in my tummy. Sure, I still have the 'mum-tum' but it's less apparent already, and I can feel my abs tightening up underneath the kangaroo pouch!
  • skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options
    I have been doing C25K for the last week and already notice inches lost between waist and knees. I also do strength training to keep the muscle. I am excited to see how I look at the end of summer after 4 5Ks and all this training!

I prefer to run outside because the terrain where I'm at gives me a better feel for an actual race, but in the winter and on gross days - its the treadmill for me!

Good luck to all!
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I started jogging about a month ago, adding strength training as well, and all of a sudden my cellulite was mostly gone and my belly started to flatten - which was amazing to me because my scale hasn't budged an ounce! But my clothes fit so much better and I am even starting to lose my muffin top. Not sure which part jump-started all this - the jogging or the weights - because I literally added them at the same time!

I jog a mile Mon, Wed, and Friday and the finish up 30 minutes of cardio (it depends on how fast I do the mile in - my average is 12 minutes, so then I do 18 minutes of cardio). On Tues and Thurs I don't jog, just do an hour of cardio. On my jogging days I alternate working my arms/chest/shoulders, legs, and torso on the weight machines. My weekends are so busy that usually I don't go to the gym, but I try to get some walking in or go to the pool with my kids.

I wish the scale would move, but it is nice to have people comment on how slim I am looking, so I'll take it!