Really...Can I eat what I want an lose weight?

Options
I keep reading that I can eat what I want and lose weight as long as it is in moderations...Is this true?

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Possibly. Every "body" is different. You'll want to make sure your nutrition is balanced, though. And you'll definitely want to pay attention to portion size. But try it for a few weeks and see.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Yup. Already consumed 6 oreos today. They are in my diary.
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    i just had a chocolate bar, log it, work it into your nutrients
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Within reason maybe, but I am not an expert.

I eat well 99% of the time, so when I want a glass of wine, or dinner out, or a cookie every few weeks I don't feel guilty about it. I do log the calories though.
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    Yes I still eat frenchfries however I do the tedious task of counting them out, it's annoying but portion control is everything and EXERCISE!
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Ehhhh... I don't like the "free for all" attitude of this statement. In theory, yes, you can still lose weight, but that weight is just going to be muscle, which you don't WANT to lose, and you would turn out being "skinny fat" - those are the slim girls who eat cheetos, chocolate ice cream and beer, don't work out much (if ever), and their bodies look really "soft" (no muscle done, and not tightened up). They may have a low number on the scale, but their body fat % is MUCH too high, and when those girls are in bikinis, they suddenly don't look good.

It is much better to be the person that looks good and is a healthy weight and body fat percentage. In order to do this, diet is KEY. I'm not saying 100% of the time you need to be watching what you eat, things in moderation are fine. But the key is that food DOES matter, 200 calories from grapes vs. 200 calories from french fries does not end up "LOOKING" the same ON your body, if you know what I mean!

So if you want to LOOK good, and be HEALTHY, with a healthy body fat percentage, not just lose weight, you have to watch what you eat.
  • Lpfeifer419
    Lpfeifer419 Posts: 82
    Options
    False, false, false!

If person A is under their calorie goal for the day, but eats junk (fast food, etc) are they the same as person B who is also under their calorie goal, but eats as clean as possible? I think not...

Junk needs to be eaten very, very, very rarely. You will only hinder your loss if you continue to believe that you can eat whatever you want.
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Probably not. If you eat nothing but oreos and ice cream -- even if you count the calories -- you probably won't lose weight.
    At least, I couldn't.
    My weight loss depends on ridding myself of high-sugar, high-fat, highly-processed foods. I've tried for years to eat what I like (staying within the proper calorie limit) and had no success.

Of course, I'm 51 years old.
  • kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

i wish i had the gall to try an oreo!!!!

Yummo!
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I still eat chips and french fries, but in smaller portions than before and now when somebody gives me a big portion, i don't even want to eat it! But i can still eat it AND lose weight. Especially when you exercise well.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight if you maintain a calorie deficit, so generally, if you eat 1200 cals of lard each day, you will likely lose weight... but lighter doesn't mean healthier.

Being healthy is the key.

Balanced nutrition with exercise and a small (say 500/day) calorie deficit will see you healthier and lose weight at a steady pace.

Good luck!
  • Superdupermom
    Superdupermom Posts: 149
    Options
    my idea of dieting and healthiness is to not do that...sometimes yea eat some stuff but there are plenty of other foods you havent even attempted tomake thatyou probably love that is way healthier that fill you up more! your best bet is to make healthier choices and soon you wont even be able to look at a burger from mcdonalds believe it or not. and you will lose more weight this way.
  • jmafte
    jmafte Posts: 46
    Options
    To a degree this is true. I allow myself to eat a few cookies here and there. Technically if someone wanted to lose weight on a chocolate chip cookie diet, it could be done. As long as there was a calorie deficiency, you WOULD lose weight. Your body would most likely hate you, you'd be hungry all the time, probably tired and sluggish too, but you would lose weight. I have cheat days every now and then when I find myself really wanting bad food, but I always work out on those days. The more balanced diet you have the easier it will be to lose weight, which is why i try to stick to only one cheat day every now and then, and then get right back to it the next day because it won't throw off all the work I've done that much. For some people cheat days help, other's it makes cravings even worse.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Sure, essentially a calorie is a calorie but most American's do not have the self control and discipline to stop when they have reached their limit for the day.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options

i wish i had the gall to try an oreo!!!!

Yummo!
    Someone brought them and some chips and salsa into work for cinco de mayo.

I actually found that I lost more weight by eating junkier. I believe my problem was that I wasn't consuming enough fats. By upping my calories 300 / day, I started losing 2 lbs a week instead of 1.
  • hennyben
    hennyben Posts: 317
    Options
    NO!!

I love chocolate so I eat a small bit everyday but trust me I WANT to eat a full bar everyday, so I'm not exactly eating what I want.... but yes, I'm losing weight. I also workout at least 5 days a week in order to help this weight loss along.

If I was to eat what I want I'd still be overweight.......
  • RiaLucia
    RiaLucia Posts: 121
    Options
    I say true. Like she said, "As long as it's in moderation." Moderation is a relative term, but I *really* don't think she was asking the question, "Can I eat Oreos and ice cream and junk food every day as long as I am under my calorie goal/limit?"

Last night I made myself the world's smallest peanutbutter fudge sundae for dessert and still came in with calories to spare. It *can* be done.
  • Tmrice721
    Tmrice721 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! moderation is the key and for me if I deprive myself, I will definately get discouraged and overeat the things I love. My goal is to eat healthy the majority of the time so that when I have a serving or two of the things I crave it's not so bad. BUT keep in mind you have to incorporate a fittness program into your healthy lifestyle (something I'm still struggling with) but I've seen good results and I eat the things I like. Good luck! :smile:
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    SHOOT! If thats the case, why the heck am I eating all these veggies?

Is all this Nutrition, and vitamins and good fats all a lie?

Was cholestrol and heart problems made up by the vegetable farmers to persuade people to eat their product over a snickers candy bar?

No, It matters what you eat. Ever heard the saying "you are what you eat" ? well that is truer than you know... your body reproduces itself... meaning that each cell on your body is replaced by a new one ever so often, so if you eat nothing but candy and chips that have no nutrients or vitamines in them your muscles and organs are going to become weaker, your health will decline, you will get sicker faster. BUT on the other hand if you eat good foods and fill your body full of vitamins and nutrient dense foods then your body will be made of healthy things and your amune system will work better, you wont have heart problems, you wont get fat. ETC.

What they mean is that you can eat what you would like TO LOSE WEIGHT as long as it is within your calorie allowance... they never said that eating a box of oreos were the same as eating a squash. HECK NO!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    YES. Just stick to the calories MFP gives you on a daily basis, log every bite. You will lose the pound/week that is suggested by doctors in order to keep the weight off for good.