do you work out barefoot?

Options
Just curious because I tend to prefer to do my at home workout dvd's without shoes on, the elliptical sometimes I wear shoes and sometimes I dont. What is best?

Replies

• sissess
    sissess Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I only do yoga barefoot and that's about it....
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    guess it depends on the workout and how good your shoes are.

I cant be barefoot in my gym, but if I'm running around at the soccer field or something, I enjoy a good barefoot run from time to time.
    I love not wearing shoes.
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer to do all my at home workouts without shoes on. I wear them on my elliptical, but only because it doesn't have a smooth base!
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    I've been working out barefoot whenever I can for about a year. My feet/ankles/knees feel so much better!
  • decu68
    decu68 Posts: 78
    Options
    Actually for weight lifting I used to go barefoot. I felt more stable however I later started wearing shoes as nothing worse then dropping a weight on a bare foot; some shoe is better than nothing. Plus walking around where people sweat is just asking for a foot infection.
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    I prefer to be barefoot, it just depends on the surface. I have low arches so if I'm exercising on hardwood I'll wear shoes, if on carpet I'll be barefoot. I think it just depends on if you really feel like you're getting a workout or not. I think shoes help me be more stable generally.
  • Wonderfilledwoman
    Options
    I'm a barefoot type of gal!
  • ICANDOTHIS76
    Options
    I get on my treadmill at home barefoot everytime time...I was actually wondering about that also! Is it a good thing or bad or does it even matter???
  • veggeslady
    veggeslady Posts: 64
    Options
    I do all my workouts barefoot. I did 1/2 of p90x with shoes and half without I like without better. I think you need to go off of what your body says!!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Ascis when out, barefoot at home.
  • fitmom4ever
    fitmom4ever Posts: 130
    Options
    My workouts at home are almost always done barefoot, except the stationary bike, cuz the cover over the chain broke off and I don't want to risk pinching anything in the chain. I even take most of my walks outside barefoot, especially if I am just staying on the jogging trail at my apts.
  • durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I workout at home with dvds barefooted also. I have not had a problem with it. :happy:
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Actually for weight lifting I used to go barefoot. I felt more stable however I later started wearing shoes as nothing worse then dropping a weight on a bare foot; some shoe is better than nothing. Plus walking around where people sweat is just asking for a foot infection.
    chuck taylors or vibrams are as close as you can get haha.
  • ktblueyz
    ktblueyz Posts: 72
    Options

I dont work out at a gym, I work out at home. guess I should have said that! But no I dont life weights. I do dvd's and the elliptical. I guess im just wondering if one way or the other is healthier for my feet.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I do my DVD's barefoot some times, but always shoes when I'm on the t'mill. I am not supposed to be barefoot, but I hate wearing shoes in the house.
  • kimd1974
    kimd1974 Posts: 113
    Options
    I don't but barefoot running is the latest and greatest in our area. I just started running this year and I was surprised to see people running on the bike trails barefoot.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I much prefer the elliptical barefoot.
  • Scoutmac187
    Options
    Google "Barefoot Revolution"
    Then check out the Vibram Five Finger shoes and socks.
    New Balance has the Minimalist shoes and Nike has Free + etc shoes.

Wife and I are doing P90X and I love the Vibram five finger shoes! Increased balance and grip and no more shin splints or knee pain. Wife wears the New Balance Minimalist and for high impact days like Plyometrics I wear the Nike Freerunner+2's or something like that. They are awesome. Barefoot without the whole funky foot nastyness. Yoga with Vibram five fingers is a whole lot better too.

Its a movement of sorts but you need to read up on the pros and cons of going "barefoot" especially if you run. You need to ease into it to avoid injury.
  • lauriallen
    lauriallen Posts: 39
    Options
    Most of the time I wear shoes as previously stated the gym doesn't like me running around in my bare feet :tongue:

For the most part when I workout at home I do it half and half cause I have had issues with my feet so for support I wear my shoes for cardio and high impact workouts this cousions my foot and not to mention it protects your foot from any type of injury.

So, unless you need orthodics/ shoes to correct skeletal, nerve, etc problems...shoes are worn mostly for protection.
  • ktblueyz
    ktblueyz Posts: 72
    Options
    I do all my workouts barefoot. I did 1/2 of p90x with shoes and half without I like without better. I think you need to go off of what your body says!!

thanks I think I will continue my dvd's barefoot then :)