Low Calorie Alcoholic Beverages!

yankeefamily05
yankeefamily05 Posts: 657
edited September 27 in Recipes
:drinker: I need a few ideas. Usually I am a Smirnoff(wine cooler) kind of gal, but I am thinking those aren't going to fly anymore!!! I need some good fruity drinks (preferably without vodka in them) that are semi low in calories!!!! Ideas????:)

Replies

• ineednapkin
    ineednapkin Posts: 151
    bump!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Yeah, this can be a struggle, but I love, love, love vodka with canada dry cranberry ginger ale. Sugary, yes, but not horribly high in calories...
  • sheilamo
    sheilamo Posts: 115 Member
    vodka with tonic and a good twist of lime. I had to work on aquiring the taste for it (i used to go for the sugary drinks), but I know I can have one and still enjoy.
  • Yeah, this can be a struggle, but I love, love, love vodka with canada dry cranberry ginger ale. Sugary, yes, but not horribly high in calories...

I wonder if they would have that in a bar....The problem is that I am going out for my sister's Bachelorette Party at the end of the month and i want to be prepared.....:-D
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Yeah, this can be a struggle, but I love, love, love vodka with canada dry cranberry ginger ale. Sugary, yes, but not horribly high in calories...

I wonder if they would have that in a bar....The problem is that I am going out for my sister's Bachelorette Party at the end of the month and i want to be prepared.....:-D

Yeah, doubtful they have it in a bar, but a safe substitute is just regular ginger ale with a splash of cranberry juice, or go with the vodka and tonic with lime suggested above. YUM!
  • tinovr
    tinovr Posts: 38 Member
    obviously, the sweeter the drink, the more calories.. a shot of distilled liquor (whiskey, vodka, etc) is about 65 calories.. add in an couple of ounces of juice (another 40-60 cal), you're up to about 100-125 calories.. Add the sweet syrups or an ounce of sweet liqueur (120-175 cal) and a sweet cocktail is worse than a couple cans of reg Coke. it's easy to see how a Long Island Iced Tea is a good 300 calories or so..

My drink of choice is Jack Daniels & Diet Coke... 65 calories.
  • Rum and diet soda

Also my, my personal favorite low cal drink, the skinny margarita. http://www.food.com/recipe/skinny-margarita-358803
  • redrustdobe
    redrustdobe Posts: 43
    Check out http://www.zilchmixers.com/

Sugar-free margarita & daiquiri mix. I haven't tried it yet, but my order is on the way... Individual packets so you can order rum on the rocks and just add the mix, so it says... I'll keep you posted!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Be the DD, and you don't have to worry about drinking your calories :)
  • bhepp
    bhepp Posts: 44
    I like crown and diet coke, rum and diet coke (or pepsi!) and tequilla and club soda with lime. Those are my go to drinks. Or you can just stick with beer (in a bottle so you can keep track of how much!) Have fun!!! :smile:
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    H2O on the rocks with a splash of lime ;) ... clearly the low-cal winner!

Also, wine by the glass is better than wine by the bottle ...
  • Mrz_Rich
    Mrz_Rich Posts: 90
    Bacardi rum and diet coke...not sweet and sugary but low in calories!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    My personal trainer told me to STAY AWAY from all rums, at ALL COSTS! It's got the highest sugar content, hits your bloodstream fastest, and causes the most "damage" to your dieting. I try to drink most of my alcohol as shots, and I stick to vodka. You can use a diet drink (diet coke, diet cran) to chase it with. Not necessarily "pretty" or classy, but you'll get your alcohol with minimum calories!! :flowerforyou:
  • Check out http://www.zilchmixers.com/

Sugar-free margarita & daiquiri mix. I haven't tried it yet, but my order is on the way... Individual packets so you can order rum on the rocks and just add the mix, so it says... I'll keep you posted!

ooo be sure to let me know:)
  • Bacardi rum and diet coke...not sweet and sugary but low in calories!

I actually love capt morgan and coke, and Malibu rum and coke:)
  • Be the DD, and you don't have to worry about drinking your calories :)

Thats the simple solution but we have a hotel room in the place booked;)...Besides I don't drink often!!!! Im ready to go out and let loose for once!
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    The drinks are only part of the problem for me. I usually snack with them... peanuts, cheeze its, cheeses, nachos.
    A once-in-a-while day of over-indulgence is OK.
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Rum & Diet coke w/ a lime is good & can be gotten at any bar. Also, white wine or red wine.
  • keybler
    keybler Posts: 2 Member
    Hello ,

You can always try to mix Vodka+cranberry+Tonic water or diet ginger ale. It should taste the same or close to it. Either wat it is good. I try it both ways.
  • only1kjewell
    only1kjewell Posts: 5 Member
    diet coke with stoli vanilla vodka, rum and diet ice tea
  • Vodka, Lime & Soda is low... around 70 cals. It beats wine by far anyway!
  • BlazedBetty
    BlazedBetty Posts: 31
    I know you said without vodka... so first off all I want to address your bias... since I'm a bartender... and I LOVE vodka... vodka will taste like whatEVER you mix with it... it is the only spirit that will do that... it has very little taste of its own...
    But I do understand that everyone has their own life experiences.. and if you had a bad experience with vodka.. nothing will take that away..lol

But for an education on alcohol...

Clear liquors tend to have less calories than dark liquors.... anything called a Liqueur has added sugar and should be avoid.. (ie Schnapps, cordials.. ect) and just because something is called "rum" doesn't mean it is... MOST flavored rums are actually cordials... and as per above... should be avoided....

That said... clear rum... like bacardi.... but not FLAVORED bacardi's or parrot bay... are ok...
    Vodka is ok....
    Clear tequila is ok....

It's really the mixers that get you... coke zero and pepsi max are your friends...
    Anything diet is obviously better than anything not...

Fruit juices while high in vitamins tend to also be high in sugar which translates into high in calories..

and Club Soda is better for you than tonic

I personally recommend... going to the grocery store and buying a container of MIO (your personal water enhancer) in your favorite flavor... I recommend Strawberry Watermelon or Berry Pomegranate... then when you go to the bar you order your liquor of choice and water... and add the MIO to taste... MIO has 0 calories and tastes very sweet (if u want it to) My very favorite is strawberry vodka and water with strawberry watermelon MIO added to taste...

There are LOTS of ways to reduce calories on alcohol.. the problem is remembering them when you are wasted...LOL...

Anyone needing diet alcohol help... I'm your girl... ;-)
  • youngtweezy
    youngtweezy Posts: 183
    Take about 4 oz red or white wine, pour on ice, top with splenda. Then, squeeze a lime, lemon & orange wedge over splenda then top with 2 oz. sprite zero. Calories depend on the wine you choose, but it should be about 100 cal or less delicious sangria!
  • bizybee29
    bizybee29 Posts: 27
    WOW...what an awesome post! I learned sooo much! ha thanks!
  • NickiStone
    NickiStone Posts: 101 Member
    Fruit juices while high in vitamins tend to also be high in sugar which translates into high in calories..

and Club Soda is better for you than tonic

I personally recommend... going to the grocery store and buying a container of MIO (your personal water enhancer) in your favorite flavor... I recommend Strawberry Watermelon or Berry Pomegranate... then when you go to the bar you order your liquor of choice and water... and add the MIO to taste... MIO has 0 calories and tastes very sweet (if u want it to) My very favorite is strawberry vodka and water with strawberry watermelon MIO added to taste...
    Betty... never thought to bring the MIO. I think Voda, Club Soda and some MIO sounds like a pretty awesome drink. Thanks for guiding me to the 'light'! :flowerforyou:

Nicki
  • BlazedBetty
    BlazedBetty Posts: 31

Betty... never thought to bring the MIO. I think Voda, Club Soda and some MIO sounds like a pretty awesome drink. Thanks for guiding me to the 'light'! :flowerforyou:

Nicki
    At this point I feel like MIO should pay me... I found them before the marketing campaign started.. and I'm a HUGE fan.... MOSTLY in alcoholic drinks....lol
  • chloemeow
    chloemeow Posts: 71
    Vodka and diet coke/diet pepsi
    or Vodka with sugar free lemonaid

if you buy a more expensive vodka, then it will be less calories, in a normal shot glass worth of vodka is 50 cal
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Straight vodka, Burnettes, Smirnoff, etc. You could mix them with diet drinks, flavored water, or the martini mixes from the store. Especially the pomegranate martini mix (it has 40 calories every 2 oz). That's more than enough for a single martini! You've just got to improvise. There are plenty of other choices, than drinking more calorie filled alcoholic beverages. :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.