Chicken breast ideas, please!!

Options
I will preface by saying that I'm not a big meat eater - I dislike most types and try to stay away from certain others (pork) whenever possible. I strongly dislike most seafood also. As a result, I eat a LOT of chicken breasts :laugh: I'm getting sick of my bland and boring, poached-in-water no-spices-added chicken breasts.

I NEED IDEAS!! Maybe there's something I can add, or something cool I can do with it? I do add them to spinach salad from time to time, or stuff them into a fajita, but that's pretty limited lol. I'm a good chef, but I'm so used to cooking bland foods that I'm lost when it comes to spices/ideas.

So please, anything & everything would be appreciated!! :heart:

Replies

• fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Stir fry with veggies
    Slow cook for pulled chicken sandwiches
    Rub with spices and grill outside or on a George Foreman
    Chicken tacos

Try epicurious.com - you can narrow your search with keywords like "chicken," "healthy," "low sodium," etc...
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    I cube up Turkey Breast and marinade them in Soy sauce, worchester sauce, lil lemon juice, evoo, and some spices. Works with chicken. and then I just throw it in the frying pan. May not be super healthy (never really checked) but it's yum.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    tonight I cut up chicken breast and put it in a pot with about 1 cup of jarred salsa (nothing fancy), Once it was done, I shredded it and put it in a tortilla with lettuce, tomato, good salsa, avocado, and a little cheese. Very yummy.

One of my favorites is margarita chicken (sodium can be an issue though).

Marinate chicken breast overnight in:

margarita mix (enough to cover chicken)
    a couple TBSP of chopped garlic (I just use the jarred stuff)
    a couple of TBSP of lime juice
    (measurements don't need to be exact!)

Grill. When done, sprinkle with margarita (or kosher) salt.
  • TVanD
    TVanD Posts: 9
    Options
    real easy and low calorie is to bake them till almost done drain off any excess fat/oil and pour over top a salsa of any kind - serve on rice/noodles/potatos or lowcarb - spaghetti squash
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Maybe try marinating the chicken...low sodium soy sauce, light italian dressing, lemon juice? How about barbeque chicken? I was on a chicken kick for a while and now I am sick of it.....Pork loin is actually just as lean as chicken...I am not a pork eater but Hormel has like 5-6 different marinated ones I throw in the crockpot with random veggies and they are awesome!! The other nite we tried the Lemon Garlic one with carrots and asparagus....plus I had a sweet potato...quite good....fav one I've had Maple Bourbon with carrots...fantabulous!!! Hope this helps you with ideas!!
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Season and grill chicken breast and top it with Mango salsa! Super YUM!
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'll grill mine with veggies or sautee with bbq sauce. I love the george forman grill it's quick and easy.
    Also i'll just add a little alfrado sauce to the chicken and veggies, just enough to coat them with flavor. The whole jar is high but just a 1/4 cup is only 60 calories if you use the low fat. Also i'll use fat free cambell's soups (mushroom is my fav) again just using a small amount not the entire can.
  • tbloor
    tbloor Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I eat chicken almost every night for supper! Here are some of the ways I change it up:

-Mrs. Dash has grilling blends that are delicious and do not contain sodium so are great to sprinkle on chicken!
    -Top with salsa and a sprinkle of grated cheese
    -Top with mushrooms and a sprinkle of grated cheese
    -Brush with a low fat or reduced calorie salad dressing (sundried tomato and oregano is a good one)
    -put a dash of Frank's Red Hot on
    -cut up plain chicken breasts into curried/spanish rice
  • mrs_chip
    mrs_chip Posts: 1
    Options
    Notes:
    My Grandma taught me how to make this. It’s not my “design”.

Servings: 4

Ingredients:

1-2 cups Uncle Ben's 5 minute rice (white)

1-2 cans Cream of Mushroom Soup (I use the "off brand" and it works just the same as Campbells)

4 Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breasts (or you can cut the breasts into chunks)

1 can of water (use the empty cream of mushroom soup can)

Directions:

In 13 x 9 cake pan, pour the rice to cover the bottom of the the dish. (I use a glass baking pan…it's blue and oven safe).

Mix the cream of mushroom soup over the rice, add water, mix it all again until it's not "lumpy" anymore.

Put the chicken breasts on top of the soupy mixture and push them down into the soup mixture.

Spoon a little bit of the mixture over the tops of the chicken breasts.

Sprinkle with "No Salt"-Salt and Pepper.

Cover with foil.

Bake in oven on 350 degrees for about 55 - 60 minutes. (I usually set my timer for 58 mins and it works great!)

Enjoy it with a side of green beans.

***I don't like mushrooms, but this is my FAVORITE chicken dinner. I'm like you. I eat a LOT of chicken. Good luck. Let me know how it turns out if you try it. :) ***
  • Kaldrmjolka
    Kaldrmjolka Posts: 86
    Options
    Grilled chicken with home made salsa (tomatoes, onions, parsley, onion, peppers) with a wrap maybe some laughing cow cheese, YUM. Add some turkey bacon and/or apples for more flavor. Low calorie, super easy, and great for lunches.

Or baked chicken baked with onions, tomatoes, and bell peppers seasoned with lemon, a pinch of salt, garlic. Put the veggies ontop and let the chicken take in all that yummy taste.
  • delilah514
    delilah514 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you have a local spice/herb store I would try there. The one by my house offers classes on spices and how to use different ones with different foods. I love to find new mixes of salt free herbs to use on chicken, pork or veggies.

Also my dad created this chicken recipe a few years ago & I absolutely love it. You start with a cooked chicken breast top with pesto sauce (you only need a little the flavor goes a long way), slices of artichoke hearts and a little low fat mozzarella. You put it in the oven or BBQ or even the microwave just to melt the cheese. Serve with a side of veggies & it's a great meal. It's my go to meal when I am sick of plain chicken.
  • Jb8885
    Jb8885 Posts: 126
    Options
    My fave is to take a cooked chicken breast and divide it between 2 low carb tortilla shells. I put a little pepperjack cheese and cooked green peppers and onions in there too..its soo good and not that many calories! I think the tortilla shells are 80 each, the chicken around 130, the cheese around 100...very filling, yummy, and healthy!
  • kimberg75
    kimberg75 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast with brown rice and 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup is amazing! It's pretty healthy when you use the brown rice and fat free soup. Use 1 cup of rice per 2 chicken breasts and a large can of the soup.
    Just put the rice and soup in a casserole dish and add some skim milk about a half a cup or so, stir and then add the chicken (I always save some of the soup to put on top of the chicken). Then cover with foil and bake at 350 for an hour. Delish!!
  • Angelpecan
    Angelpecan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Oh YUM!! I love chicken breasts! The two seasonings I almost always use are sazon and adobo! I am puertorican and those are two seasonings that we always use. It isn't spicy or anything like that....but it will give ANY meat or meal a very good taste! Sazon is made by goya and they come in packets. You can use one to two packets depending on how much your making. The adobo is also made by goya. This has salt so you have to be careful with not putting too much! You can go to www.goya.com and check out the products.

Another meal I love making with chicken breasts is teriyaki chicken . Super easy. Just marinate your chicken in teriyaki sauce and once done take them out....slice them into small pieces...cook in a wok (or any pot really) and once done I add in vegis! I eat that with rice!
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    check out allrecipes.com for ideas. just plug in the things you want to use...ie, chicken breast, celery, whatever you have in the fridge and it spits out recipes for you. also try Campbell soup kitchen.com just watch the sodium in those recipes.

rule of thumb...if it smells good...your gonna like it.
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    My favorite is very simple: I bake it for 30 minutes at 400 degree in Kraft Mesquite Flavored Barbecue sauce. It gives it a great flavor. Then I serve it with my choice of vegetable and/or brown rice.
  • sociable15
    sociable15 Posts: 98
    Options
    This is what we had tonight:
    3 chicken breasts
    1/4 c. honey
    1/4 c. dijon mustard
    1/2 tsp. dried basil
    1/2 tsp. paprika
    1/4 tsp. dried parsley
    Salt and pepper to taste if wanted

Preheat oven to 350 F
    Salt and pepper chicken. Place in greased baking dish
    Mix other ingredients in a bowl
    Pour 1/2 mixture over chicken
    Bake for 30 minutes.
    Turn over, pour remaining mixture
    Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

We also roasted asparagus with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder but whatever in season veggie you have access to would go well. :-)
  • mbowman323
    mbowman323 Posts: 216
    Options
    stuffed chicken brest.

Just cut in little pockets in the breast.

Add spinach and peper jack cheese.

Then spinkle your chicken with some garlic powder, pepper and onion powder

bake and taa-daa super easy and fast dinner.

I pair this usually with cous cous and some steamed veggies
  • RachelJE
    RachelJE Posts: 172
    Options
    One of my favorites is to put 3 or 4 chicken breasts in the bottom of the crock pot. Quarter an onion over top (optional). Mix jar of salsa with packet of taco seasoning and pour over. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Chicken shreds apart and can be used for tacos, taco salads, burritos, nachos, etc. Super easy and yummy.

This is one of our favorite marinades: http://www.grilling-recipes.com/chicken/r1671.htm.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Basil Chicken

3 Tbls lemon juice
    2 tbl chopped fresh basil (or 2 tsp dried basil)
    1 clove garlic
    1/4 cup olive oil
    4 chicken breast halves

Blend first 3 ingredients for 30 sec. Slowly add olive oil while blending. Brush chicken with basil mix reserving 1/4 cup. Marinate for 30 in refrigerator. Grill or bake at 350 degrees for 30 mins or until done basting two times with basil mix.

Sometimes if I'm in a hurry, I just throw all the ingredients into a bowl and whip until blended. It still tastes good. I usually just use dried basil and jarred minced garlic. Easy recipe and always good.