Chicken breast ideas, please!!

Options

Replies

• Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hi

Perhaps try using lean ground chicken breast. You can use it to make quesadillas [Joseph's low carb wraps, veggies, salsa, non fat cheese], or use it in pasta sauce instead of hamburger - over spaghetti squash, any recipe that might call for hamburger would probably be good with the ground chicken breast!

"Hungry Girl" has several good books out and she has some great salads using chicken. One uses 2 bags of broccoli slaw, a can of sliced water chestnuts, one small can of mandarin oranges, chopped cooked chicken breast and Newman's Own Light Ginger Sesame Dressing. The taste is amazing! It's low cal. Super easy to make!

Happy eating! :flowerforyou:
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    lemon chicken : ingredients : 1 lemon, pepper, butter, chicken breast. Place 1/2 a tbsp butter and 1/4 the lemon underneath breast in a baking dish lined with foil (make sure there is enough foil to over lap the top of breasts). Season the top of chicken with the pepper and add 1/4 of the lemon slices on top of the breast. repeat with 2nd breast and the wrap the foil in dish to create a pouch so to speak leaving a small vent for steam to escape (or poke a couple hole into it with a fork). Cook in the oven at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes (times may change due to oven temps and chicken breast size) once done let stand for five minutes, carefully open the pouch and enjoy! This recipe creates a flavor and moisture packed chicken breast with little added cals! sooooooo good!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Chicken Fajitas! make them with lots of green and red bell pepper and onion. I make my own fajita seasoning so I can control or eliminate the sugar/sodium/msg/preservatives that is in the prepackaged fajita seasoning. If you also make your own whole wheat tortillas and sub avocado for cheese and sour cream you've got a really exciting and healthy meal!
  • B_L_A_Z_I_A_N
    B_L_A_Z_I_A_N Posts: 151
    Options
    salty sweet chicken breast
    - 1 chicken breast
    - 1 tbsp oil
    - 2 tbsp of soy sauce
    - 1 tsp of spicy mustard
    - 1 tsp of lemon juice
    - 1 tbsp of honey

mix everything but the oil and the chicken together. saute the chicken breast in the oil in a covered pan for about 3 min on each side and then drizzle the sauce over it (you dont have to use all of the sauce).

I think its delicious :)
  • B_L_A_Z_I_A_N
    B_L_A_Z_I_A_N Posts: 151
    Options
    salty sweet chicken breast
    - 1 chicken breast
    - 1 tbsp oil
    - 2 tbsp of soy sauce
    - 1 tsp of spicy mustard
    - 1 tsp of lemon juice
    - 1 tbsp of honey

mix everything but the oil and the chicken together. saute the chicken breast in the oil in a covered pan for about 3 min on each side and then drizzle the sauce over it (you dont have to use all of the sauce).

I think its delicious :)
  • Choirgirl37
    Choirgirl37 Posts: 255
    Options
    Chicken Noodle Soup

Small portion of chopped chicken
    Rice or Noodle (even brown rice works)
    Broth

Those are the basics. You can add more if you want such as salt, fresh ground pepper, onions, carrots or whatever makes you happy. I love this because you can easily control the calories and it is satisfying.
  • scheys76
    scheys76 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Key West Chicken:

Ingredients

* 3 tablespoons soy sauce
    * 1 tablespoon honey
    * 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    * 1 teaspoon lime juice
    * 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
    * 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Directions

1. In a shallow container, blend soy sauce, honey, vegetable oil, lime juice, and garlic. Place chicken breast halves into the mixture, and turn to coat. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes.
    2. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.
    3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Discard marinade, and grill chicken 6 to 8 minutes on each side, until juices run clear.

I substitute Olive Oil for the vegetable oil and grill it on my George Foreman grill. Also I will usually marinate the chicken at least overnight so it can pull in a lot of the marinade.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Salsa chicken. I feed a family of 5, so I put 5 chicken breasts in the crockpot, pour in a big jar of chunky mild salsa and cook it on high. Six or so hours later, I use two forks to shred the meat and put it on low until we're ready to eat. We've eaten it over rice before, and also in tortillas. It's always a hit in my house!
  • remaho80
    remaho80 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You are getting SO many great recipes! I love fajitas. I've been making them quite frequently and they are about 175 calories for one (and that's with a regular ol' tortilla). I use a McCormick fajita seasoning packet, red, yellow, or green bell peppers, and an onion. It's SUPER easy! The seasoning packet has all the directions on it.

Often I make Chicken Packets. You take a chicken breast, worchestshire sauce, and some fresh cut up veggies and wrap it all up in a piece of foil and put a couple of slits in the top to vent. Bake at 450 for around 20 minutes.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    You're all so amazing! Thank you ladies (and guys!). I might have to start at the top of the list and work my way down to all of them! :laugh: Much thanks. I eat so much plain bland chicken, sometimes I feel I may morph into one, hah! :heart:
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    stuffed chicken breast with feta cheese or the cream cheese with diced garlic in it... amazing
  • kevin2406
    kevin2406 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just made this this week. Turned out great

Greek Style Chicken

4 skinless chicken thighs (planning on using boneless, skinless breasts next time)
    1/2 tsp of salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 cup chicken broth (I used low sodium)
    1 lemon (thinly sliced)
    1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives
    1 clove garlic (minced)
    1/2 tsp dried oregano

Season chicken with salt/pepper. Brown chicken in skillet with olive oil.
    Place chicken in crock pot. Add broth, garlic, oregano, olives and layer lemon slices on top.
    Cook on low 5-6 hours.

Using the recipe calculator I got 282 calories per serving (6 ounces). I'm not too sure how accurate this is as a lot of the broth is left behind so I believe the calories and sodium portions (1042mg/serving) are showing higher than they really are. Next time I plan of measuring the liquid left over and subtracting that from the final totals. I also multiplied all ingredients by 1.5.

Kevin
  • baton_gal79
    Options
    I love to place boneless skinless chicken breasts in a pan. (Place foil in the pan first to make easy to clean). I drench the chicken in BBQ sauce and bake as directed (375 i do w/frozen chicken) for 40-50 minutes. So good! I do this with pork too
  • pammi65
    pammi65 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump**
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I always brine chicken breasts first. Take about 2 tbsp kosher salt, 2 tbsp brown sugar, and dissolve fully in a small amount of hot or boiling water. Then add ice cubes and stir until the water is ice cold. Toss 2 chicken breasts in there, top off with some additional cold water if needed, and put in the fridge for 1-2 hours. Then take them out, rinse and pat dry. Now season (but don't add more salt!) and cook however you want.

The brining process makes them extra juicy and delicious. It's sort of a rule I have: always brine the chicken!

I usually put in a baking pan with lemon juice, maybe some olive oil, pepper, garlic powder, and thyme and bake for about 40 minutes.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    This recipe is from when I was doing Weight Watchers, so the credit goes to them!!

Italian Spicy chicken - serves 4 - 160kcals per serving (plus whatever potatoes/pasta etc you add).

500g skinless chicken breast fillets
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (if you're using Lazy Garlic in a jar, I usually use 1.5/2 teaspoons).
    1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes or chilli powder
    1 teaspoon mixed herbs
    2 teaspoons/10ml olive oil (extra virgin)
    30ml lemon juice
    4 tablespoons water
    1 pinch salt
    1 pinch ground black pepper

1. Heat the oven to 180C. Place the chicken in a shallow oven proof dish.

2. Mix together the garlic, chilli, mixed herbs, oil, lemon juice and water.

3. Spoon over the chicken, making sure it is well coated. Cover the top loosely with foil to protect the flesh from drying out.

4. Bake for 20-25 minutes, basting once or twice during cooking. Remove the foil and brown the chicken for the last 5 minutes. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Obviously if you want it a bit spicier you can add more chilli :smile: I usually bake the chicken, then chop it up and mix it with pasta. You can also use chicken thighs if you like though the calories will be higher as the meat is fattier (I think).
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    Poach it theN shred it n mix with some stir fried veggies, oyster sauce, chinese5 spice and soy sauce yummy.
  • Rebeccasluckyduck
    Rebeccasluckyduck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    These recipes all sound wonderful! It's nice to have more ideas.