want to run/ but think I look stupid

Options
13»

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    To an extent, we all feel that way at first. The hardest outdoor run is that first one. But really....no one is watching you or anyone else.
    Find a quiet trail or path and just do it. You'll find that you're a bit self-conscious at first but that goes away quickly as you feel yourself get stronger and better.
    Give it a try. You can do this and it's a lot of fun.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Good job crew, bumping a 3 year old post about someone feeling stupid.

lol.

Someone posted just the other day. The concern is still valid for all new runners.
  • mundaycarroll
    mundaycarroll Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You can always start by taking routes that you know not a lot of people will see you running. When I first started running that's what I did because I felt like people were always staring at me when they would drive by. I do feel a little self conscious still when I'm running so I now try to take routes that I know none of my friends or co-workers live on. It's a working progress.
  • smelanie504
    Options
    Good job crew, bumping a 3 year old post about someone feeling stupid.

lol.

Aw man!!!!! Bamboozled.
  • oremus1
    oremus1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    it feels quite good, I wear baggy clothes and long pants so no-one can check out my body and I feel less self conscious.

be safe, carry alarm, tell parents where you are going.
  • OldManOfTheSea
    OldManOfTheSea Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I look pretty stupid when I run but I do it anyway. Maybe I'm too old to care or too deaf to hear them yelling at me but I haven't had anyone mention it.
  • lappyd425
    lappyd425 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Agree with the big sun glasses! I felt like nobody could see me if I had them on! Grab your Ipod and earphones and go!!!
  • TusTus
    TusTus Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This post makes me think about the Friends episode when Rachel was embarrassed to run with Phoebe. ;-).

I see so many different running styles when I'm out for a run, and all I think about is how cool it is that so many peeps are out running. I'm sure nobody is judging you. Enjoy!
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    HOLD ON!! I saw her running, and, well............

It was scary. I called my friends, and they came and watched too. A couple cars stopped too

OK, I don't have any friends, you caught me
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    tumblr_n00yicjVuo1syv2qio1_250.gif

Edited to add the second because...it's funnier.

And...I say go for it!

phoebe-running-o.gif