Fall 2011 Marathon Support Group

Options

Replies

• lucky723
    lucky723 Posts: 52
    Options
    okay so little girl at heart that would be so much fun to run at disney :)
  • lucky723
    lucky723 Posts: 52
    Options
    Okay so I've never ran more than a 10k. I was in the middle of training for a 1/2 marathon last year when I found out I was pregnant. I still continued to run until my last month because I was on bed rest. I started last night again running after I had gained almost all of my baby weight back. Hoping to complete my first 1/2 marathon in October!!!! Then trying to do a marathon in May 2012.
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Okay so I've never ran more than a 10k. I was in the middle of training for a 1/2 marathon last year when I found out I was pregnant. I still continued to run until my last month because I was on bed rest. I started last night again running after I had gained almost all of my baby weight back. Hoping to complete my first 1/2 marathon in October!!!! Then trying to do a marathon in May 2012.

I know that feeling...that's what I was doing too and then I was on modified bed rest. All I was allowed to do for my last 5 months was sit at my desk then come home and sit/lay down. So I'm trying my best to get all this baby weight off!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hey!!! I am in NEED of a good running support group! I'm currently debating running my first Marathon this fall. We'll see. I have had some IT band issues in the past month and have FINALLY recovered with lots of streching/foam rolling/ice baths. I wasn't able to run for a full month,which sucked-to put it lightly. I've got a few Halfs scheduled so far:

May 21st in the Ogden Half
    June 11th is Teton Dam Half
    August 6th the Minnesota Half

And if i decide to do the Full marathon, it won't be until October 9th I believe. I'm a little hesitant to do it for fear of my injury re-occurring and then not being able to run. So, I'd like to build strength and endurance a little more and then see how I feel. But, I think it would be a great experience. We'll see how I feel after next weekend's race.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    I'll join in!!

I'm still on the fence if I'm going to run another marathon this year. Ran my first last December and it was the hardest thing I've ever done! I was suffering ITBS really bad at the time and was crying by mile 20! I ran my 4th half marathon a few weeks ago and the ITBS stayed away! I'll probably train up for the marathon and if the ITBS flairs up again, I won't do it.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I did my first interval training session this morning with the nike 10k program (on itunes), and it was such hard work! I'd better get faster after all this effort!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Count me in... I've only signed up for one more half this year for the Canadian Diabetes Association here in Winnipeg on Labor day

Looking for others within driving distance (Minneapolis would be the furthest I think) and if the timings right.
  • jizenna
    jizenna Posts: 49
    Options
    Is anybody running the TInkerbell Half Marathon at DisneyLand January 29, 2012?

Ooooo...I didn't know Disney put this on! That sounds like so much fun, love Disneyland!! I'm gonna check this out!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Still no running for me says the doc. My meniscus is still annoyed. I'm going crazy.
  • xzy1000
    xzy1000 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi anyone well done to all of you who run marathons.
    I am looking for some advice.... How can you train for a marathon? I mean it is so far to do the distance in training.
    I don't understand how you know that you can manage the full distance.
    Thanks for any replies.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Hi anyone well done to all of you who run marathons.
    I am looking for some advice.... How can you train for a marathon? I mean it is so far to do the distance in training.
    I don't understand how you know that you can manage the full distance.
    Thanks for any replies.

There are lots of ways to do it! You can just google "marathon training for beginners" and you'll get lot's of answers. Many people use Jeff Galloway's method or Hal Higdon. Runners World magazine has an app for iphone and android that you can use. You can also join a running group. Just look for running groups in your area, you can ask at your local running store. Some people think it's a good idea to start with a shorter distance, but it's not a necessity. Many people go from nothing to finishing a marathon in less than a year. I'm a new runner and my longest race is a 10k and I don't think I'll have an official half marathon under my belt before NYC marathon in November.

Hopefully this info helps. Maybe others can add advice since many in this thread have trained and finished a marathon.
  • xzy1000
    xzy1000 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    thank you for the reply I will goggle it like you suggested. cheers
  • FryingPanda
    FryingPanda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Think this is the group for me. I am currently in week 1 of an 8 week program to run a 1/2 on July 4th, but after that I want to run another 1/2 in October (Run Like Hell). Did it last year with a friend and looking to do the Run Like Hell again to improve my time.

Week 1 has gone well so far, ran 4.34miles on Tuesday, did a half hour of cross training on Wednesday, ran 2.87 miles yesterday and have a 7mile run Saturday as well as a 3.5mile run Sunday. Will be my first long run in a while so it will be interesting...
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    This morning, I attended the Team In Training Kickoff Breakfast. This is where we all gather together with the new participants and gain inspiration, hope and support, not only for completing an endurance event, but for putting an end to blood cancers. Today, the guest speaker was a survivor of Lymphoma and, as always, his story brought me to tears. I wish my Mom could have been one of the survivors here to tell her story. However, I run to help make it possible for other mothers, sisters, fathers and brothers.

I bought this necklace at the event
    IMAG0175.jpg

You can have one like it or give one as a gift and help me raise funds for LLS. There are many different styles. Check out www.resonates.etsy.com to check them out. Be sure to use code TNT-1012-RG in the notes section when you check out so that my fundraising efforts are credited.
    For each item you purchase, $5 will be given to LLS. So, if you buy 3 items, that's $15 toward ending blood cancers!
    Thanks everyone and keep up the great support on this thread. You all amaze me!!
    Risa
  • FryingPanda
    FryingPanda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    So made it through Week 1. The 7 mile wasn't too bad, made it through with no stops. On to Week 2.
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    Okay, 1st things 1st. I blogged about the full I did on Sunday! You can check it out here:

http://pursuitofness.blogspot.com/2011/05/green-bay-2011-marathon-race-report.html

2nd, for those with ITBS, or anyone wishing to avoid it--FOAM ROLLER! I have found that if I use my roller even when I don't have issues, it keeps the issues from coming back. I am a firm believer that we can make our bodies do anything; it is just finding the right combination of tools.

3rd, for the poster wondering how to train for a marathon--google is the right answer, but you will find few plans that have you run more than 20 miles in training. I will tell you that marathon training is a time committment, and one you have to be ready for. But I will also say that if you can run 20 miles, you can run 26.2. It is all adrenaline/mental games there. And if you need an extra shot of mojo, just remember--Chuck Norris never ran a marathon! (seen on a sign at my race)
  • mollyanne01
    mollyanne01 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love seeing all of the runners on here! Marathons are my favorite. I'm not currently registered for any this fall, but I'm looking at a couple of them. I have an 8 hour endurance run next month, a 50K in July. Any recommendations for a fall 26.2? I prefer smaller races myself.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I love seeing all of the runners on here! Marathons are my favorite. I'm not currently registered for any this fall, but I'm looking at a couple of them. I have an 8 hour endurance run next month, a 50K in July. Any recommendations for a fall 26.2? I prefer smaller races myself.
    You could run the Soldier Marathon on Nov 12th at Ft. Benning (Columbus, GA). It is fairly small with around 350 runners last year.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Right now I am debating which fall marathon to sign up for....Akron or Erie.

I just finished my 1st marathon and don't want to wait an entire year to try it again since things really didn't go anywhere close to my expectations.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first marathon at the end of June - the Seattle Rock & Roll. Our local marathon - the Bellingham Bay Marathon is at the end of September. I'm waiting until after I complete the Seattle one to decide whether to run the full or half Bellingham - although I'm leaning toward the half. I came in 6th in my age group out of 85 women at a half marathon in April and I'm eager to work on my speed at that distance and see if I can't try andcompete for some age group awards!