Everyone says "DRINK WATER," but...

Options
...the more I drink, the more I gotta pee! Yeah, I said it!!! I don't know whether it's just a side-effect of having had two pregnancies late in life, but I really have to keep my fluid consumption down or I have to seriously restrict anything else I do (particularly long walks). I know there are surgical things they can do (which ain't gonna happen) and medications I could take (way too many side effects--I'm not doing that, either), but do you guys have any other suggestions? My only thought is that it'll get better as I lose weight because it'll be less pressure on my bladder. I'm open to suggestions, though. Tx.

Replies

• bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    ummm... I still go all the time, at least 1x an hour.... no great advice here. Sorry.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    It happens. Think of it as your body flushing toxins and waste.
    There are exercises you can do to strengthen your 'carrying capacity'. Try googling it.
  • clem7444
    clem7444 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, but I would like to commiserate! I drink 12 8oz servings of water/day. The problem is that I'm a teacher. So, I can't leave my classroom alone during the day. By the time lunch rolls around, I am ready to pee my pants!!! I have occasionally had to call for an office person to come down and cover so I can go. It's embarassing.
  • musicoflife08
    Options
    Drinking more water does make you go to the bathroom a lot. You can ease into drinking more water, so you're body can get used to it, but drinking more water will make you pee quite often. I have the same problem, but it's getting better. You're body will adjust. :)
  • ziggle_7
    ziggle_7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i am the exact same way. i try to drink a good amount of water but when i even just drink the daily recommended 6-8 glasses i find i constantly have to pee and ive never had any kids. When i drink 6-8 glasses i have to pee like ever hour or hour and a half and its such a pain. i still try to drink lots but i cant be running to the bathroom every hour. i dont know what to do about it either...
  • krlaws2
    krlaws2 Posts: 47
    Options
    No advice either, but have the same issue. Thankfully, I can leave my desk whenever I need to go. It's just a little embarrassing when my co-workers see me flying down the hall once an hour or so.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Your body will get used to it. Water has been my main drink of choice for at least 15 years so now I'm the opposite...when I have something else I have to use the bathroom a lot.
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Try not to drink it so quickly, it you drink it slower it may help you in going less frequently. Also, try not drinking it ice cold. I don't have any children, but I drink around 16 cups a day (128oz) and I found these tricks help.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking 8-12 8oz glasses throughout the day since January. I have noticed that I don't go as often as I was, but I still do go several times during the day. It's a small price to pay for getting and staying healthy!!
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Some people say Kegel exercise helps. I drink around 15-16 glasses a day and at first I had to pee a lot but my body adjusted after a week or two.
  • bearly_ruth
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I'm looking forward to others' input, too. If nothing else, it's great knowing I'm not alone!!! I always thought I just had a unique issue. During the weekdays it's not so bad, but on the weekends, I'm a Boy Scout leader and spend a lot of time hiking & camping. It ain't so easy for the female leader to be hiding behind trees every hour with a troop of curious Boy Scouts nearby!!!! :noway:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,126 Member
    Options
    Your body will adjust. Keep drinking. It's really important for health and weight loss.
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    No kids here but it's a natural side effect. Sometimes is seems to all catch up with me at once and I end up going every 20-30 mins! But it does get better as your body gets used to it. Just plan ahead if you know you're going to be out and not have access to a bathroom.

And to those teachers who say they can't leave their classroom, be careful. Holding it is a contributing factor to kidney stones and trust me you do NOT want those!
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, your body will adjust if you stick it out. I used to pee every 30min I swear!!!! But I don't go as often now, even drinking over 64oz a day. :drinker:
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Your body will get used to it. Water has been my main drink of choice for at least 15 years so now I'm the opposite...when I have something else I have to use the bathroom a lot.

Same here - I can drink pints and pints of water without it going through me but give me a beer, and I'm on the loo at least three times for each pint!

One of my friends had a similar issue to the OP though, and she was taught to do 'controlling' exercises by holding on until she was absolutely bursting. She said that basically, she'd trained her bladder to expect to be emptied the minute it noticed an increase in intake, so by depriving it of relief, so to speak, she retrained it to be able to hold onto it until it really was full. After a few weeks, she felt confident enough to go on a five mile walk where there would be no opportunity to use a loo!

Good luck - I hope you manage to get your 'plumbing' sorted out. :smile:
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Your body will adjust to some degree but you will still have to go often. I actually have a bladder problem and I drink a lot of water (more than the daily recommended) but I have "trained" myself so to speak to go alot. Just like we do with children - I always go before I leave the house, office etc. and I always go when there is an opportunity. You just get use to it!! Good luck!!!
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    No matter what you are going to pee, it has nothing to do with late pregnancies, it just happens. I pee around 10x a day.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Some people say Kegel exercise helps. I drink around 15-16 glasses a day and at first I had to pee a lot but my body adjusted after a week or two.

Probably the best advice.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    sorry if this sounds snarky, but I think it's a small price to pay for being healthy. You never want to deprive your body of water just because you don't want to go to the bathroom.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Drink up. Your body will adjust. Health is more important then avoiding short term frequent urination.