Starting Couch to 5K (c25k) Monday, May 9th! Anyone with me?

Options
HaleyAlli
HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
I really want to become a runner, and I feel like I need a challenge, so I'm going to do this starting next week, no backing out! I live in a hot climate so I'll probably run in the mornings or evenings, not sure which yet. If I can do this you can do this; I have stomach issues as well as some other physical problems so excuses mean nothing to me, lol. It's time to get fit and healthy, even if it takes longer than 9 weeks to actually get where you want to be. WHO'S WITH ME?? LET'S DO DIS PEOPLE!!!

Replies

• Katrob9
    Katrob9 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I was going to start it this week and then just didn't get round to it. Defup for the challenge! I know it will be a challenge for me because I don't do running, but I'm wanting to change that. :)
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    Great! Btw here's the link for anyone who needs it--

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Add me in - run monday wednesday and fridays
    lets do other stamina on the rest of the week - fast walks to build up our pace levels
    im currently working on walking 300k for the month of may
    so yea lets do this
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    Sounds great, good idea to build up on other days. Monday-Wednesday-Friday are good C25K days.
  • StephanieDuckie
    Options
    I've been thinking about doing this. Maybe I should. =]
    Count me in.
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    Today's the day for change! Welcome!

(I have an ulterior motive for posting so much, this thread needs bumping! lol!)
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    Bump!
  • KaeChelle
    KaeChelle Posts: 576
    Options
    I would like to try this. I am literally a couch potato and I need to get up and start moving. I haven't run since junior high probably. I'm sure I will start out slow, but it sounds like a good program from what I have heard from others. I will do my best!
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    Slow is the way to go! Welcome!

To everyone: make sure you join the active trainer free log, it should be a big help! http://trainer.active.com/
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    BUMP!! Come on people, let's get off the couch and get in shape! It's only 30 minutes or less a day 3 days out of the week!
  • heathermrls
    heathermrls Posts: 91
    Options
    today is my first day with my diet plan on mfp, so this seems like a good workout plan. count me in!!!
  • KaeChelle
    Options
    I'm curious are you all doing this on a treadmill, at home just running in place, or outdoors somewhere? I'm trying to figure out what the best way to do it is. I just downloaded the android application to help me keep track of the time! That will help a lot!
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    I'm curious are you all doing this on a treadmill, at home just running in place, or outdoors somewhere? I'm trying to figure out what the best way to do it is. I just downloaded the android application to help me keep track of the time! That will help a lot!

I'm doing it outdoors with my neighbor, there's something so refreshing about doing it out in the fresh air :) But really you can do it on a treadmill too... However, if you want to run a real 5K for a charity event or something like that, you'll probably want to do your running outside with the terrain, it truly is different on the ground for some reason...

ETA: Glad to have you heather! :)
  • bethany7687
    bethany7687 Posts: 44
    Options
    I'm in. Have never run a race before. Just signed up for a 5k in Brockton, Ma on July 6 to celebrate my 25th anniversary of recovery from alcoholism. So what do we do friend each other. How do we stay in contact.
    Bethany
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited for you all to start this! I want to offer encouragement. I completed the C25K on March 24. When I started in January, I was 233 pounds and didn't know how I'd get through it. I won't lie to you--it's hard, hard but it's absolutely the most rewarding thing I've ever done for myself in my 44 years. I lost weight doing the running thing and through other working out and dieting, so that is a great benefit that I love. More importantly, it did more for my self esteem and for self image than I could ever describe.

After the C25K, I ran my first 5K on April 17. I have another this Sunday. I've become a runner--an honest-to-goodness runner which is one of my goals even at my heaviest. I want to continue to lose weight to get to my goal of 150 (or less :), but more importantly I want to keep running and running!

So, good luck to you all and just know from a person on this site because I'm on my weight loss and fitness journey, that finishing the C25K IS POSSIBLE. You can do it! I believe in you!

Ro
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    Great cause! And I'm thinking we'll keep this thread updated, and all of y'all can friend me/each other too... Also we'll use the free activity log on the website. If you WANT to pay the $20 for the plan on there you can, but I just prefer not to myself lol.

ETA: this was @bethany
  • MoLivesLuvsLifts
    MoLivesLuvsLifts Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I'm in! The schedule sounds good! I need to run more so the weight will melt off - or so I hear!
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    I'm so excited for you all to start this! I want to offer encouragement. I completed the C25K on March 24. When I started in January, I was 233 pounds and didn't know how I'd get through it. I won't lie to you--it's hard, hard but it's absolutely the most rewarding thing I've ever done for myself in my 44 years. I lost weight doing the running thing and through other working out and dieting, so that is a great benefit that I love. More importantly, it did more for my self esteem and for self image than I could ever describe.

After the C25K, I ran my first 5K on April 17. I have another this Sunday. I've become a runner--an honest-to-goodness runner which is one of my goals even at my heaviest. I want to continue to lose weight to get to my goal of 150 (or less :), but more importantly I want to keep running and running!

So, good luck to you all and just know from a person on this site because I'm on my weight loss and fitness journey, that finishing the C25K IS POSSIBLE. You can do it! I believe in you!

Ro

Thank you SO much, I didn't see this until after I posted! You're an inspiration, keep up the good work! :)
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    I'm in! The schedule sounds good! I need to run more so the weight will melt off - or so I hear!

Glad to have you, welcome! :)
  • KaeChelle
    Options
    I'm not doing this because I necessarily want to become a runner or do a 5k, but because I need the structured exercise! I think it will be a great way to have a plan and to stay accountable!