LADIES who are 5'4'' or 5'5''

Options

Replies

• 1aprilaries
    1aprilaries Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 feet 41/2 inches. I have a curvy/thick frame. At my heaviest( Dec 2010) I was 202. I started MFP (March 2011) at 192. I'm currently trying to get down to 162. 150 would be nice- i liked how i looked at 150 ( so many many years ago). The sad thing is in high school i was 125-130 & I actually thought i was too chunky then- boy what i wouldn't give to get back down to where i should be for my height.
  • MyJourney11
    Options
    I'm 5'4 3/4 and my goal weight is 125. I'm not dead set on it though. If I look good before I get there that's great. As long as I'm happy with myself :happy:
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Everybody keeps talking about their "frame". Forget frame - it's very imprecise. The best way to determine a goal weight is to get your body fat measured. Based on that, you can decide how much more you want to lose. You can have a small "frame" and still have too much body fat, even at a "healthy" weight based on BMI.

Body fat percentage is the best true indicator of fitness.
  • Ashrenalls
    Ashrenalls Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and my eventual goal is 135-140. I'm pretty sure I'm a medium build. So, yeah, you're probably good to go.
  • Jwls23
    Jwls23 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    5'4" start weight 161 it is my highest ever I normally weigh about 155 and have for years. I am currently at 149 and my goal weight is between 130 and 135. Although if I get there I may try for 125 but I am not sure if I can. Btw I have a medium frame so I may be Overshooting my abilities a bit? Idk
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I started at 191 and eventually got to a low of 128. I was a size 6 and had about 20% body fat at that time. I fell into a depression after that for reasons that had nothing to do with my weight, but it sure did affect my weight...I got back up to 150 pounds.

At any rate, even when I weighed 128, I still had too much body fat for me to be happy. I don't want to be "skinny." My ideal body is athletic and very lean. I don't honestly care what the scale says, as long as my body looks the way I want it to look and I am lean.

With that being said, right now I am at 145 pounds and 33% body fat. (Ignore my ticker below...I gained weight between April and now and haven't changed the ticker yet...). My goal is to have 17% body fat which is lower than the 20% I had before. I was at 20% in the profile picture here on MFP, and you can't tell because I have on a shirt that conceals my stomach, but I had a "kangaroo pouch" and you couldn't see any ab definition at all. Even when tightened and sucked in, not a hint of a 6-pack even though my abs were strong. So even though I was quite healthy, I had too much body fat for what I was aiming at. Anyway, I used Tom Venuto's calculator to determine what my body weight will be around when I reach 17% body fat, and it said about 115 pounds. So that's my goal. It seems right since a woman that I work with who is only 5'6" tall who competes in figure competitions weighs between 112-120 during the year and has about the amount of body fat that I am looking for when she's not nearing a competition (cause you always cut more fat right before competition and I don't want to be that lean...it's not sustainable for me). She is very strong and can bench press me if I let her, lol. And dang, she eats more than me and I average 1500 per day.

So even though my goal is much lower than most of the other posters, keep in mind that my goal is very different as well. I don't want that skinny actress look. I want to look more like an athlete with a low body fat percentage.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and 3/4, but I like to say 5'4 :)

Until last year, I maintained 127 for most of my adult life. I am an athlete and very pleased with myself at that weight (around 18% body fat).

The older I get, it seems the harder it is to maintain the weight. i am at 133 right now, and actually I just saw pix of myself from this weekend and I am pleased. I guess the 127 is just in my head, but I am not sure I will get there.

I have read that healthy range for 5'4 is 116-142. Of course body fat does make a difference, so working out will help you look better regardless of weight. I was just on a mini-vacay with a friend this weekend, same height. She does NOT work out and weighs 119. I work out 6 days a week and weigh 133. We wear THE EXACT SAME SIZE clothes. So there you go.

Here is a photo of us from this wknd; that is me on the right:

junecandl2-1.jpg

BTW--she STARVES herself and I get to eat really whatever I want. *WINNING* :)
  • MommaMind
    MommaMind Posts: 28
    Options
    I'm 5' 3" and should be around 125-130lbs (sadly sit at 167) being an inch taller than me gives you I think it was 5lbs more on the scale? So I'd say your goal is very realistic
  • laquita23
    laquita23 Posts: 9
    Options
    I am abou 5'5" and i weight 173 down from 182 people are already telling me i look small so i guess it depends on your body frame. I have curves I would rather not lose but hey lol. I guess i will see what 165 looks like for me as long as I'm toned i think I'd be fine. 150 is way too small for my body type. Think about it like this get your shape in shape and you will be fine!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    I am 5'5" , muscular and broad framed. I am a true hour glass figure with a 30 inch waist , size 10 and 12 at 177lbs.

My main goal is 165 and then see from there. Comfortable size 8 is the goal and then I will reevaluate and see what body fat % i am and what I need to lose from there... May be looking at 160.
    Everyone is different!!!!!
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    i'M 5'5" and my goal weigh is 140lbs.

I had got down to 148lbs and I was happy at that, but I have put on some weight since then. I'm pear shaped, so when I got down to 148 I started working on toning up my bottom half rather than losing more weight.
  • CoilyRob
    CoilyRob Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4, and I'm trying to get back to 118 - 120 lbs. I may have to adjust that because even though my body looks good, my face looks very gaunt.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and my goal is 128. I went to a trainer and had my BMI calculated to help figure out a good sustainable weight for my frame based upon my calculated BMI. I wanted my goal weight to be attainable and sustainable with my athletic build. Some people this height can look good at 110 pounds, I'm 112 pounds of essential tissue (skin, bones, oragans, muscle, blood, etc), so I'd actually have to lose muscle mass to reach that weight. At 132 pounds I am a size 6 (maybe 4 I have to go shopping). So, I have 4 more pounds to go . . . and I'm hoping it all comes off my booty.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" with a small frame, weighing in at a whopping 230 lbs. Meaning, my poor bones hurt. REALLY need to get this extra weight off. :/
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    Options
    mine is 150-160 I have a large frame
  • alslau02
    alslau02 Posts: 64
    Options
    I'm 5'5'' and my goal weight is 125, but this is an easy goal for me to choose since I have a healthy identical twin sister at that weight.
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    As many others have said, it does make a difference depending on your frame size. I have a small frame and a range I've seen for me is 108-123 or something like that. I'm looking at the higher end of that range most likely lol. I don't feel like I need to be much lighter than low 120s
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and my goal is 128. I went to a trainer and had my BMI calculated to help figure out a good sustainable weight for my frame based upon my calculated BMI. I wanted my goal weight to be attainable and sustainable with my athletic build. Some people this height can look good at 110 pounds, I'm 112 pounds of essential tissue (skin, bones, oragans, muscle, blood, etc), so I'd actually have to lose muscle mass to reach that weight. At 132 pounds I am a size 6 (maybe 4 I have to go shopping). So, I have 4 more pounds to go . . . and I'm hoping it all comes off my booty.
    This is why bmi is not accurate! Muscle is healthy, who cares if you weigh a little over healthy bmi if you have healthy body fat %, that is even more important. It sounds like you are doing great!!
    just sayin.
  • namrettik
    namrettik Posts: 127
    Options
    My weight goal, set in January, is 130 - smack dab in the middle of the healthy BMI range for 5'5". However, the actual goal is to get into single-digit pant sizes.

Supposedly, it's doable, as my workout buddy has the same height and weight and wears size 5. I'm in size 12. >_>
    At least I'm fitting into jeans from 8th grade again. And I have a source of passed-down pants from said workout buddy.
  • B3h1ndgr33neyez
    B3h1ndgr33neyez Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm about 125 and I want to stay at this. But really depends on the frame--my frame is medium so really anywhere between 125-135 is good for me.