how to cook lentils

Options
Breckgirl
Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
I'm starting the 4 hour body diet tomorrow and need to eat 30 grams of protein within 30 mins of waking. That's a lot of protein and I'm not willing to ear 5 eggs for breakfast. The author said he had 3 eggs and spinach and lentils for breakfast. So I checked, and lental are very high in protein...but I've never eaten a lentil in my life! How do you make them tasty and not add any carbs? Dairy's a no no too. Any ideas?

Replies

• waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I dont know how to cook lentils but this morning I had a pure protein bar that I had bought for our trip and it had 20 grams of protein. U could try that and something else....
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    I dont know how to cook lentils but this morning I had a pure protein bar that I had bought for our trip and it had 20 grams of protein. U could try that and something else....

That sounds great! Where did you find it and can you recommend a brand? I'm open for all ideas, other wise I'm going to hate egss before this is through!
  • RiaLucia
    RiaLucia Posts: 121
    Options
    My favorite recipe site, Allrecipes.com, will surely have a good lentil recipe. I make them on a regular basis, but my style of cooking does not lend itself to giving other people directions. (Basically, I'll study a recipe once, prepare it, and just go from memory and instinct after that.) Basically it involves a lot of rinsing, plenty of time to simmer, and good spices.
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    My favorite recipe site, Allrecipes.com, will surely have a good lentil recipe. I make them on a regular basis, but my style of cooking does not lend itself to giving other people directions. (Basically, I'll study a recipe once, prepare it, and just go from memory and instinct after that.) Basically it involves a lot of rinsing, plenty of time to simmer, and good spices.

I went to cooks.com and there were a ton of soup reciepes or rice recipes but nothing with just lentils. I can't see eating soup for breckfast. Not real thrilled with the lentil idea either so far.
  • AZDon
    AZDon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Lentils are delicious. Just go with the directions on the package. But basically it's like cooking rice. Be sure not to salt them until the end or they will be tough. Also a bay leaf thrown in can be good too. Look for other varieties besides the brown ones. Beluga (small black ones) are my favorite.
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    Lentils are delicious. Just go with the directions on the package. But basically it's like cooking rice. Be sure not to salt them until the end or they will be tough. Also a bay leaf thrown in can be good too. Look for other varieties besides the brown ones. Beluga (small black ones) are my favorite.

Thank you. I'll give it a try and thanks for the tip on the salt and bay leaf.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    A nice dish you could have for breakfast would be a kegeree (Scottish brunch dish) style spiced lentils. I would buy the quick cook red lentils- there's no need to soak and they cook in 20 mins.

I made up the recipe- but it's so tasty!

Red lentils (Portion according to pack)
    1/2 chopped onion, or 2 chopped salad onions*
    1 medium tomato, diced
    Fresh corriander (Cilantro) about 2 tbsp, chopped.
    1 vegetable stock cube, dissolved in water.
    2 tsp of your chosen curry powder.
    1 medium egg
    simmer the lentils in the vegetable stock until tender, add the curry powder- should be like a risotto texture so no need to drain. Fry the onion & tomato with spray oil until softened. Mix into the lentils.

Serve with a poached egg on top- even more protein! Sprinkle with the corriander.

*Add whatever veggies you like- leaf spinach, peppers, mushrooms, courgette (Zuchinni) and Aubergine (Eggplant) all work well.

** If you like it hot, add some fresh chopped chilli peppers.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    i like this one from all recipes. com

it is indian--not so sure how it would be for breakfast but i make it about once a week. it freezes well too!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Indian-Dahl-with-Spinach/Detail.aspx
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    A nice dish you could have for breakfast would be a kegeree (Scottish brunch dish) style spiced lentils. I would buy the quick cook red lentils- there's no need to soak and they cook in 20 mins.

1 medium tomato, diced
    1 medium egg
    simmer the lentils in the vegetable stock until tender, add the curry powder- should be like a risotto texture so no need to drain. Fry the onion & tomato with spray oil until softened. Mix into the lentils.

Serve with a poached egg on top- even more protein! Sprinkle with the corriander.

*Add whatever veggies you like- leaf spinach, peppers, mushrooms, courgette (Zuchinni) and Aubergine (Eggplant) all work well.

Thanks so much, it sounds great!
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    i like this one from all recipes. com

it is indian--not so sure how it would be for breakfast but i make it about once a week. it freezes well too!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Indian-Dahl-with-Spinach/Detail.aspx

I'll be eating them for more that breakfast I'm sure. Thaks!
  • celmlund
    celmlund Posts: 3
    Options
    I have eaten red lentils with honey, dried fruit, nuts and cinnamon....it is very tasty for breakfast.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I love Indian Dal! I can't find the recipe that I love but I'll post it when I do.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    well, first you start with a large potato which resembles a phallic symbol.......
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    I have eaten red lentils with honey, dried fruit, nuts and cinnamon....it is very tasty for breakfast.

Honey and dried fruit are no no's but the cinnamon and the nuts are allowed...I'll try that. Thank you.
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    I love Indian Dal! I can't find the recipe that I love but I'll post it when I do.

Thank You!
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    well, first you start with a large potato which resembles a phallic symble.......

LOL I should sel it on Ebay!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I'm starting the 4 hour body diet tomorrow and need to eat 30 grams of protein within 30 mins of waking. That's a lot of protein and I'm not willing to ear 5 eggs for breakfast. The author said he had 3 eggs and spinach and lentils for breakfast. So I checked, and lental are very high in protein...but I've never eaten a lentil in my life! How do you make them tasty and not add any carbs? Dairy's a no no too. Any ideas?

Lentils are delish as a lovely soup.

Why not hit a good protien drink? I have whey and drink it with milk. I put my 25 g of protien which is 1/2 scoop for me, and shake up with the milk. Drink it down and I feel great.

Good luck!
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options

1 medium tomato, diced
    1 medium egg

**Bump** Yum! Sounds delish. I've had lentils in my cupboard for months and not known what to do with them. This is my dinner tomorrow sorted! :)
  • Breckgirl
    Options

1 medium tomato, diced
    1 medium egg

**Bump** Yum! Sounds delish. I've had lentils in my cupboard for months and not known what to do with them. This is my dinner tomorrow sorted! :)

Lentils are kind of like seaweed. I know they are suppose to be good for me but I have no clue how to fix them so the sit there on the shelf until I donate them to a food pantry.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I made lentil soup with the recipe on the side of the bag. Lentils cook up fast like split peas, so it doesnt take long.

I sauteed onion, garlic, celery, carrots and a parsnip (all for a variety of vitamins)

once soft but not brown, I added a 1 quart container of low sodium veggie broth, or you can use chicken.

I put the lentils in with the broth, added fresh parsly from the garden.....and a bay leaf.....and boiled it for like 20 min or so.

I added water when it was too thick.......it was so yummy.

I bought those glad containers and froze the soup individually and thawed as needed.

Now I know what I am doign next weekend. Hitting up some soups so I can get back on the wagn and lose some more weight!!:flowerforyou: