how to cook lentils

Options
2»

Replies

• maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Yay, I found it! This comes from the Rice Diet , which is a low sodium plan, so you will probably want to add salt to taste. This dish is really spicy! Next time I make it I'm going to halve the cayenne pepper. Also, if you don't have all the spices, check out the Mexican cooking aisle where they have lots of spice packets in plastic bags. I got cumin seeds, dried red chilies, and a couple other things for crazy cheap there...like 1/8th of the price as in the spice aisle a couple aisles over in the same store! And not available in bulk where I was.

Lentil Dal with Fresh Ginger, Green Chilies, and Cilantro

Lentils
    1 cup lentils, pink, uncooked (I used whatever color I had on hand)
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric

Tempering Oil
    1/2 Tablesoons canola oil
    1 1/4 teaspoons cumin seeds
    1-2 red chilies, dried, whole
    1 Tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
    1 teaspoon garlic, minced
    1 green chili, hot, minced (I used jalapeno)
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (reduce if you want, this makes it HOT!)
    1/4-1/2 cup chopped cilantro
    Juice from 1/2 lemon or lime

3 cups cooked basmati rice

Wash and drain lentils and bring to boil in saucepan with turmeric and 2-3 cups water. Skim well, reduce heat, and cover, simmered until lentils are soft, 15-20 minutes. Add water as needed to keep moist. At end of cooking time mash some of the lentils with spoon to make thicker, or add water to thin out, as you prefer. Simmer another 5 minutes, uncovered, to thicken.

For tempering oil: place the oil and the cumin in a small frying pan over medium high heat. Cook 1-2 mins or until cumin turns a light brown. Add dried chilies, ginger, garlic, and green chili and cook about 30 seconds, until garlic turns golden brown. Remove from heat and add cayenne and a few drops of water to stop the cooking (be careful of spattering!) Stir the tempering oil, half the cilantro, and all the lemon/lime juice into the dal and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle with remaining cilantro.

Yield: 4 servings (with 3/4 cup rice per serving)
    Each serving: 380 cals, 7 g fat, .6 g sat fat, 0 mg Cholesterol, 16 g protein, 63 g Carb, 7 g Fiber, 8 mg sodium (as written)

From running it through the recipe function here (without the rice included, just lentils)
    4 Servings (1 cup dry lentils equals about 3 cups cooked, so a little over 3/4 cup of the lentils would be a serving)
    225 cals, 7 g fat, 12 g protein, 31 carbs

I went ahead and added this to the database (without the rice, just the Dal) so it's under "Lentil Dal with Fresh Ginger, Green Chilies, and Cilantro." I think I'll make it this week, the bf really enjoyed it last time and I like to cook a meatless meal at least once a week.
  • turkeydawg
    turkeydawg Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Istanbul i regularly ate a lentil soup called "Mermacek" - it is based on red lentils.

The Turkish people have a cup of soup before almost every meal.

I have since made this at home (since returning to the states) and everyone that tries it, loves it.

Here is the recipe:

2 cups of dry red lentils
    1 Beef bullion cube
    1 small potato
    1 medium tomato
    1 medium onion
    1 tablespoon tomato paste (NO SUGAR ADDED - read the label)
    1 Tbspn Olive Oil

Put the Olive Oil in the bottom of a medium sized pan. Dice the tomato and onion and gently saute in the hot oil. Once tender, add in 8 cups of water. Shred the potato and add it to the pot. Add the rest of the ingredients and boil/cook, covered, for 30 ~ 40 minutes. Once the red lentils are semi-soft, puree in the whole mixture in the pan.

Serves 10

Salt and pepper to taste. Also - squeeze a fresh lemon into your cup of soup and it really enhances the flavor.

Following the above recipe - each 8 oz cup of soup will yield:
    Calories - 155
    Carbs - 27
    Fat - 1
    Protein - 10
    Fiber - 6

Hope this helps,

t/d
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Yay, I found it! This comes from the Rice Diet , which is a low sodium plan, so you will probably want to add salt to taste. This dish is really spicy! Next time I make it I'm going to halve the cayenne pepper. Also, if you don't have all the spices, check out the Mexican cooking aisle where they have lots of spice packets in plastic bags. I got cumin seeds, dried red chilies, and a couple other things for crazy cheap there...like 1/8th of the price as in the spice aisle a couple aisles over in the same store! And not available in bulk where I was.

Lentils
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric

Tempering Oil

Wash and drain lentils and bring to boil in saucepan with turmeric and 2-3 cups water. Skim well, reduce heat, and cover, simmered until lentils are soft, 15-20 minutes. Add water as needed to keep moist. At end of cooking time mash some of the lentils with spoon to make thicker, or add water to thin out, as you prefer. Simmer another 5 minutes, uncovered, to thicken.

For tempering oil: place the oil and the cumin in a small frying pan over medium high heat. Cook 1-2 mins or until cumin turns a light brown. Add dried chilies, ginger, garlic, and green chili and cook about 30 seconds, until garlic turns golden brown. Remove from heat and add cayenne and a few drops of water to stop the cooking (be careful of spattering!) Stir the tempering oil, half the cilantro, and all the lemon/lime juice into the dal and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle with remaining cilantro.

Each serving: 380 cals, 7 g fat, .6 g sat fat, 0 mg Cholesterol, 16 g protein, 63 g Carb, 7 g Fiber, 8 mg sodium (as written)

From running it through the recipe function here (without the rice included, just lentils)
    4 Servings (1 cup dry lentils equals about 3 cups cooked, so a little over 3/4 cup of the lentils would be a serving)

I went ahead and added this to the database (without the rice, just the Dal) so it's under "Lentil Dal with Fresh Ginger, Green Chilies, and Cilantro." I think I'll make it this week, the bf really enjoyed it last time and I like to cook a meatless meal at least once a week.

Thank you, You're a sweetie!
  • maremare312
    Options
    Ooh I just realized I typo'd that, it is 1 1/2 tablespoons of the canola oil! The oil is important since it browns the spices and the dish is pretty much just lentils, oil, and spices. I'll go back to the recipe and make sure I entered it correctly there.
  • maremare312
    Options
    When I lived in Istanbul i regularly ate a lentil soup called "Mermacek" - it is based on red lentils.

I have since made this at home (since returning to the states) and everyone that tries it, loves it.

Here is the recipe:

1 Beef bullion cube
    1 small potato
    1 medium tomato
    1 medium onion
    1 Tbspn Olive Oil

Put the Olive Oil in the bottom of a medium sized pan. Dice the tomato and onion and gently saute in the hot oil. Once tender, add in 8 cups of water. Shred the potato and add it to the pot. Add the rest of the ingredients and boil/cook, covered, for 30 ~ 40 minutes. Once the red lentils are semi-soft, puree in the whole mixture in the pan.

Serves 10

Salt and pepper to taste. Also - squeeze a fresh lemon into your cup of soup and it really enhances the flavor.

Calories - 155
    Carbs - 27
    Fat - 1
    Protein - 10
    Fiber - 6

Hope this helps,

t/d

That sounds good!
  • Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I like to cook equal amounts of lentils and split peas together...very yummy. It refrigerates well too.

1 C Lentils
    1 C Split Peas
    1 small white onion, quartered
    2 cloves of garlic, diced
    small amount of olive oil
    1/2 tsp of sage
    salt and pepper to taste

Saute onions and garlic in a small amount of olive oil until the onions are translucent--don't let the garlic burn! Add washed lentils and split peas, stir and add water or veggie broth--enough to cover well. Bring to a boil, stir well and reduce to a simmer. Add spices and allow to simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. It should get fairly thick, but don't allow it to reach that stage until the lentils and peas are thoroughly cooked.

It's really yummy and you can add a variety of spices if you like--cumin, garam masala (super tasty).
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    They take a long time. Cook them when you have the time and then use them in recipes. They are not something you can make fast. I just made a lentil chile and they have been cooking for 3 hours and are still not done. I have to add more water and simmer longer. I think when you boil them in water it's faster. The tomato makes them harder to cook. I think next time I will cook them separate and add them.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have eaten red lentils with honey, dried fruit, nuts and cinnamon....it is very tasty for breakfast.

That sounds really good. Can you be a little more specific about it though?
    How long do you cook the lentils? What amounts of honey, fruit, nuts, cinnamon, etc.?
    Thank you!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options

Here is the recipe:

1 Beef bullion cube
    1 small potato
    1 medium tomato
    1 medium onion
    1 Tbspn Olive Oil

Serves 10

Calories - 155
    Carbs - 27
    Fat - 1
    Protein - 10
    Fiber - 6

Hope this helps,

t/d

That sounds good!

Watch the sodium in the Boulion. I would use low sodium broth but even that is high in sodium
  • maremare312
    Options
    Personally I use Better Than Bouillon for all my bouillon and stock/broth needs. I have chicken, beef, and vegetable. It's a paste and is delicious, a good value, and not too bad in sodium.
  • Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Another Lentil Recipe...

Vegan Lentil Moroccan Stew

1-1/2 C Lentils
    4 C veggie broth
    1 Tbs. olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
    1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
    1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    2 sweet potatoes or yams-chopped
    1/2 cup raisins or dried currants
    2 tsp. ground cinnamon,
    or more to taste
    1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    1-1/2 tsp. garam masala
    1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes, or to taste
    6 Tbs. plain nonfat Greek yogurt or soy yogurt, optional

1. Add 1-1/2 cups dried lentils and 4 cups of veggie broth to a saucepan and let it simmer 30 minutes to cook the lentils.
    2. In a stew pot, saute onion, garlic, and yams until the onions are translucent.
    3. Add lentil mixture, and the rest of the ingredients to the pot.
    4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until yams are cooked through--about 45 minutes.

Top with yogurt if you want to.

Total calories for a one cup serving: 262 (yogurt additional).

This dish is beautifully fragrant and completely delish!
  • MrsChasteen
    MrsChasteen Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I usually cook lentils with beef broth, onion, parsley, bay leaf and s&p. Sometimes I add beef tips or something. My mom used to cook her lentils plain then add taco seasoning and we would sub the lentils for ground beef in our tacos.
  • ej223
    ej223 Posts: 20
    Options
    bump
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options

Lentils
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric

Tempering Oil

this really sounds good. i normally either make a yummy soup or just boil them and add a little salt and pepper. i will definitely try tisi one-love all the spices in it.
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    I like a lentil pate type thing that I make.

Couple of coups of split red lentils
    1 or 2 finely grated carrots
    Simmer these in a little water or stock until all the water is absorbed and the letils are cooled through. Let cool a little.
    Add a beaten egg to bind, turn into a smal loaf tin, and bake until firm and golden :)

Add whatever herbs and spices you fancy. Alter the quantities until you find what work for you. Sounds odd, but tastes really good :)
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options

Lentils
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric

Tempering Oil

i made this last night. didn't have tumeric, but i had everything else. it was really good. will definitely make it again!!
  • thebirchtree
    thebirchtree Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You could try substituting the lentils for chick peas
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Red lentils are really easy to cook, boil 2 oz with a chopped onion in a pan with 5fl oz of water until they break down.

I mix these with a tablespoon of tomato puree, 2oz of cheese, a tsp of marmite(optional), and a beaten egg. Bake in the oven for about 15 mins on full, or until firm. Can be eaten hot as a vegetarian main course. I like it on toast with ketchup.

Other than that you could have 2 eggs and 2 quorn sausages (7g protein each sausage).
  • 36jessica
    36jessica Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Put your lentils, a stalk of celery, one garlic clove (not peeled), five or six cherry tomatoes, two tbs olive oil, and a beef bouillon(stock?) cube in a pot. Add enough water to to cover the lentils (about the width of your finger -- a little more if you have tine fingers), bring it all to a boil. Turn down the flame and cook slowly for about 40-45 minutes. Salt to taste and buon appetito:smile:
  • maremare312
    Options

Lentils
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric

Tempering Oil

i made this last night. didn't have tumeric, but i had everything else. it was really good. will definitely make it again!!

I'm glad you liked it! I made it again this week too, the bf and I like it.