Great low-cost weight-loss supplement

Options
Posted this as a status message the other day, and after seeing so many diet pills / supplements / etc. threads lately, thought I'd post it to the board.

My "dietary supplement" of choice to aid weight loss: water!

Fine-Print: requires a healthy diet and exercise to be effective.

Additional benefits you may experience: clearer/healthier skin, more stable blood pressure, healthier digestion, fewer muscle cramps, better immune system, less fatigue, improved mood, less water retention/bloating

Possible Negative side-effects: frequent bathroom trips, until your body is used to increased water intake.

Edited to add: This weight loss supplement goes very well with this new diet plan: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/233474-the-latest-diet
:wink:

Now, before you get your claws out, I'm not saying there's never any reason to take any dietary supplements - but there is no magic pill to make you lose weight and be healthy, and so many people want to jump to taking pills without really fixing the basics (food choices, water consumption, sleep patterns, exercise habits).

Replies

• roxiedo
    roxiedo Posts: 154
    Options
    LIKE :drinker:
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Like! My claws were out until I saw your drug of choice was water :)
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: SO TRUE!!!! I started cracking up when I read this. Thanks for the Post!
  • Tracenspace
    Tracenspace Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Great post! I'm trying to get used to drinking more water. It's not as easy a habit to get into as it sounds.
  • amazing_grace♥
    Options
    Thanks for the post! I've always been pretty good at drinking water - and since joining MFP, I've upped my intake to 10 glasses/day. After only 2 weeks, I've already noticed that I don't have headaches as frequently as I used to (used to have several per week!) and making sure I get plenty of sleep - I'm feeling SO MUCH BETTER already!

Thanks MFP! and thank YOU for this post!!
  • jperrysunlover
    jperrysunlover Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You are right on target! I've been trying to drink at least 20oz. of water each morning prior to any other beverage, ie. coffee. Another healthy additive to water is lemon, lime or cucumber slices! So refreshing when it's hot outside.
  • jackiekjames
    Options
    Thanks so much for this post!! I couldn't agree more..:)
  • wildmustng87
    Options
    Great post! I'm trying to get used to drinking more water. It's not as easy a habit to get into as it sounds.

Crystal light! That's how I get my water in! There's no caffeine and only 5 calories per serving, though it does contain aspartame which I know some people don't like to consume.

There's also products like Propel Zero and probably others that can help u get the water in! Or there's new things (forget the name) that are concentrated flavoring that you can put in as much or as little as you want in your bottle/glass of water..

For some reason I also find it easier to drink water out of a bottle (I use a Propel Zero bottle, just refilling it with my crystal light) where I can just suck it out rather than sipping from a cup.. But that's just me, maybe I'm a little weird :wink:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

-Try adding lemon/cucumber/lime - whatever you choice would be to a jug of water. It lightly flavors the water without adding anything artificial. (jfsjfzjfp also recommended this, above)

-Drink from a cup/bottle with a straw. Sounds silly, but I drink a ton more when I have a straw, and I know others who found the same thing.

-If you are at home during the day, keep a water cup in the bathroom and in the kitchen - drink a cup of water every time you go into either of those rooms.

-If you work at a desk, keep a reasonable sized water bottle and set goals as to how often you'll drink that much water. Ex - I have a 2 cup water bottle. I try to drink 2 of those before lunch, and two more after lunch before I go home.

Just a few ideas...
  • KimPossible1913
    KimPossible1913 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Drinking water is at the top of my goal list. I absolutely HATE water, my goal is to drink at least 16oz a day this week, and work my up to drining 64oz a day.

I meant to delete my last sentence before I hit enter. :smile:
  • madmama
    madmama Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the post, so many forget that water is one of the best things we can put in our bodies.

If you have troubles consuming enough water try putting fresh fruit into it this will add flavour with natural sugars.
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Possible Negative side-effects: frequent bathroom trips, until your body is used to increased water intake.

I have to disagree with this ... at work, the bathroom is about 20 yards away. More bathroom trips = more exercise. I then go for broke, and make a left out of the bathroom, around the building to the other side, chug a 16oz water (while getting my black coffee), and then do the other 1/2 of the circuit around the building back to my office.

Thus, I continually "recycle" my water/caffine intake, while getting a little exercise :wink:

Ps. I also will chug 16oz water about 15 min before going to lunch, and quickly down the water I get at lunch - I get the "full" feeling faster, knowing that it's not all from eating, but some from "empty" water "calories".
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    this is my third week of being on the water bandwagon, i have never been a big drinker but would have about 6 cups of tea throughout the course of the day at the most with nothing else in between, i would tend to drink less when it was hot as well for some reason, but very rarely felt like i needed a drink. but now i am down to a max of 3 cups of tea a day and am drinking over 2 litres of water a day, my tip is also to use a bottle or straw, it has certainly worked for me in a very short space of time, i love water that much that last week i went and spent £15/$25 on an all singing all dancing bottle that has a filter, freezer stick and a ring to help you track the ammount (it goes up to 12 but 3 fils is about 2 litres with the filter etc in it). i have always peed for england so i can't say i've noticed the extra quite so much lol
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

I have to disagree with this ... at work, the bathroom is about 20 yards away. More bathroom trips = more exercise. I then go for broke, and make a left out of the bathroom, around the building to the other side, chug a 16oz water (while getting my black coffee), and then do the other 1/2 of the circuit around the building back to my office.

Thus, I continually "recycle" my water/caffine intake, while getting a little exercise :wink:

Yeah, I don't personally see it as a negative, but some people do, especially people who can't easily just get up and go to the bathroom whenever they need to (cashiers, food-service, etc.). That's great that you turn it into a way to get more exercise! :drinker:
    Ps. I also will chug 16oz water about 15 min before going to lunch, and quickly down the water I get at lunch - I get the "full" feeling faster, knowing that it's not all from eating, but some from "empty" water "calories".

I have heard that drinking a ton of water with meals can actually cause digestion problems, as it waters down stomach acid. If you're not feeling any side-effects (feeling like you're food sits in your stomach, bloating, discomfort, etc.) from it then you're probably fine, but just something to be aware of.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I also don't like water, but have gotten better about drinking it by adding either fresh mint, or when I don't have that, peppermint herbal tea (with no actual tea in it, just peppermint). I make either with hot water, and either drink it hot, or put it in the fridge and drink it cold.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to DHMO [dihydrogen monoxide]...
  • Tic_Tac_Toe
    Tic_Tac_Toe Posts: 33
    Options
    I agree 100%! I hate hearing people talk about buying/using diet supplements. It just takes hard work, which actually doesn't become that hard once you start doing it.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to DHMO [dihydrogen monoxide]...

oh thats just showing off, i can't believe you made me use my brain on a forum lol
  • mamijujuphat
    mamijujuphat Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I approve this message...lol ..
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    When I am having trouble getting my water down, I drink some green tea. I especially like making iced green tea! Plus the antioxidants ect in the tea are good for you too :)