High Protein Diet and Constipation - I know TMI

Options
2»

Replies

• starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    A healthy person is suppose to go after every big meal but now I'm barley going in a day.

Really? I think it's pretty normal to poop once a day, not after every meal.

Most people do not know this but a person with a healthy digestive system is suppose to poop after every meal. The longer food stays inside of you the worse it smells when it comes out. I know TMI but I've learn a lot in this area. Poop is also suppose to float, be light brown and not have a foul odor.
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 1 protein shake a day for months but just recently shifted my diet to high protein, low carb and I'm noticing a difference as well.
    How long has this been going on? It sounds like you are doing all the right things-fruits & veggies, lots of water. Maybe your body just needs time to adjust? How is your fiber intake?

I have to double check the fiber. I assume I was getting enough because I've been really good on the veggies and fruit intake.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I think you should up your fiber content.

I just bought some unflavored fiber powder so that I can add it to my meals. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm hoping to increase the time between getting hungry with it in my favorite meals.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    phsyllium husk is really good for constipation x
  • Kjarlune
    Kjarlune Posts: 178
    Options
    It was a big issue for me...and I will be writing down some of the ideas too..*grin* I use "cleanseMORE" and flax meal and chia seeds...The flax and Chia I put in my shakes...
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to poop once a day or more however some people have irregular bowels which is [technically] regular to them...

Go to the doctors, that's the only way to be certain :wink:
  • SkinnyBoo
    SkinnyBoo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the last post...Benefiber is great...much better to digest than Metimucil. I mix a Tbs., in a tea cup with hot water each night and it tastes great and you should notice a difference in less than a week. You can take Benefiber every night and it also has added calcium for us that are calcium deficient. Excercise is always good, but, yes, I realize that it is difficult to excercise when you are bound up. I have felt your pain, so good luck and keep good thoughts.