Cheeseburger Tator Tot Pie (365 Calories)

Options
RillSoji
RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
My husband loves tator tots and cheesburgers so here's my healthy-er compromise that I worked up for him this weekend. He loved it! It also freezes and reheats in the microwave very well.

4 Servings | 365 Calories ea

4 Ramekins (oven safe)

8oz Ground Turkey
1/4 cup Onion, minced
1 Tbl Garlic, minced
1/2 can Small Peas, drained/rinsed
2 Wedges Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese
1/3 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese (I didn't use low-fat but you can!)
12 Hamburger Style Dill Pickle Slices
2 Tbl Ketchup
4 tsp Mustard
36-ish Tator Tots

Preheat oven to 400° F. Brown the turkey in a pan with garlic and onion. Drain, add peas and set aside. In a small bowl mash together cheese wedges and cheddar. Put a layer of 4 pickle slices in the bottom of each ramekin. Divide the meat/peas into the four ramekins on top of the pickles. Next layer the cheese mix. Next add 1/2 Tbl ketchup and 1 tsp of mustard to each. Top with a layer of tator tots (about 9 each). Sprinkle with salt & pepper if desired. Bake for 20 minutes.

cheeseburgertatortot.png

Replies

• sweetie89207
    sweetie89207 Posts: 361
    Options
    LOOKS AMAZING!
  • sandrahover
    sandrahover Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am so trying that :)
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    yummY!!! My bf would like this!
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    It sounds and looks delicious but, by making such casseroles, it does not appear as though you are revising your lifestyle to become heart-healthy at all. That's a pile of carbohydrates you're taking in with that recipe. Not a wise practice.
  • Blakemore1229
    Options
    yummy
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    BuMp
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Thank God...something other than the D*** crock-pot cheeseburgers!!! This looks pretty good. Think I might try this this week. Thanks.
  • MistyNoble1987
    Options
    It sounds and looks delicious but, by making such casseroles, it does not appear as though you are revising your lifestyle to become heart-healthy at all. That's a pile of carbohydrates you're taking in with that recipe. Not a wise practice.

If you don't like it, don't eat it. That's just one thing that she's making - don't judge her just by one thing!

I think it looks WONDERFUL!
  • kennsiej
    kennsiej Posts: 4
    Options
    im going to try this...quick and easy-what could go wrong.
  • GeminiStayFresh
    Options
    bump!
  • em_lou007
    em_lou007 Posts: 117
    Options
    oooooo yummy! :happy:

Just out of interest what are tator tots? I'm from UK do we have them here? :s

xx

:flowerforyou:
  • RillSoji
    Options

A good reason why I made these individual ramekins instead of a whole casserole. Next time I do this recipe I'm going to experiment with home made hash browns on top instead.

On a side note, while I monitor carbs, I'm not against them. ^_^
  • aubraann03
    aubraann03 Posts: 48
    Options
    This looks delicious!
  • RillSoji
    Options
    oooooo yummy! :happy:

Just out of interest what are tator tots? I'm from UK do we have them here? :s

xx

:flowerforyou:

Essentially they are hash browns that are formed into a cylinder shape and usually fried.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • em_lou007
    em_lou007 Posts: 117
    Options

If you don't like it, don't eat it. That's just one thing that she's making - don't judge her just by one thing!

It looks fantastic! If they were to eat it everyday then yes there would be cause for concern but sometimes you need good old fashioned comfort/naughty food that fits in with your calories.

YOU GO GIRL!! great recipe and if you invent more let us know :wink: xx
  • Phatpatty
    Phatpatty Posts: 55 Member
    Options

\

Pretty Much what I was thinking....she revised it to be a "healthier" version...that is something she can eat in her new lifestyle...it's not what she eats every night of the week...LOL...looks yum yum yummmmy!\
    P>S> not all people live by a low low carb lifestyle....just saying...i know it works but not for everyone
  • RillSoji
    Options
    Pretty Much what I was thinking....she revised it to be a "healthier" version...that is something she can eat in her new lifestyle...it's not what she eats every night of the week...LOL...looks yum yum yummmmy!\
    P>S> not all people live by a low low carb lifestyle....just saying...i know it works but not for everyone

Yeah I tried both the atkins and the south beach diets and gained weight in both cases. :( Just didn't work out for me. Slow and steady watching the calories and sugar and eating more vegetables and grains is working better for me.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options

Below is a quote from the awesome LADYHAWK00 who is a moderator on this website and something I think EVERYONE should live by and stop being so judgmental in regards to what everyone else eats.

OP, I think your dinner looks delicious and that's good that you did individual portions.
    I think it's important to remember that everyone here is at a different stage in the process of getting healthy. When many people start, it's a huge deal just to change one or two things. Maybe they start by trying to meet cal goal and doing a little exercise - and don't worry about exact nutrients just yet. And that's ok. Because if that keeps them from being overwhelmed and quitting, then it IS the right way to do it. Hopefully it will lead to more progress and habits they can stick with.

Sure, I cringe when I see a diary where someone is at McD's every single day. But maybe that's an improvement for them - maybe they used to go 3 times a day.

So try to remember, everyone is fighting their own demons, at their own pace. :flowerforyou:
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Really? Criticizing someone else's clever way of making something that can be very bad for you, into a healthier version? I think she should be commended. Carbs are ok in controlled amounts.. which is what she is doing. There are many people who eat 100% "clean" and that's great for them. For those of us who want to live with the normal choices, this is a great option for us. Everything in moderation. The best way to maintain a healthy lifestyle.