Cheeseburger Tator Tot Pie (365 Calories)

Options

Replies

• em_lou007
    em_lou007 Posts: 117
    Options
    oooooo yummy! :happy:

Just out of interest what are tator tots? I'm from UK do we have them here? :s

xx

:flowerforyou:

Essentially they are hash browns that are formed into a cylinder shape and usually fried.

Ha ha!!! many thanks - over here they are called potato croquettes!!

:drinker:
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    It sounds and looks delicious but, by making such casseroles, it does not appear as though you are revising your lifestyle to become heart-healthy at all. That's a pile of carbohydrates you're taking in with that recipe. Not a wise practice.

If you don't like it, don't eat it. That's just one thing that she's making - don't judge her just by one thing!

I think it looks WONDERFUL!

I agree. This post is really rude. She came up with a recipe that is healthier than a cheeseburger, but gives you that "I'm not on a diet feeling". So, what if there are carbs in it? Carbs are not bad for you. And having something like this every once in a while is a great idea!
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Saving it for a later date. Thanks for posting this! :)
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    oooooo yummy! :happy:

Just out of interest what are tator tots? I'm from UK do we have them here? :s

xx

:flowerforyou:

Essentially they are hash browns that are formed into a cylinder shape and usually fried.

Ha ha!!! many thanks - over here they are called potato croquettes!!

:drinker:

Potato Croquettes v. Tater Tots

Potato Croquettes win, much cooler name!

Tim
  • chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    It sounds and looks delicious but, by making such casseroles, it does not appear as though you are revising your lifestyle to become heart-healthy at all. That's a pile of carbohydrates you're taking in with that recipe. Not a wise practice.

?? Not everyone counts carbs! And I love recipes like this because it is so hard to get my husband to eat "healthy" food. So I use a lot of "remakes" of the food he likes :)
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    yummy
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    yummy
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options

Thats y she said healthier. She didnt say its completley healthy but its better then a giant cheesburger and a bunch of tator tots.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Hmm - I may try this out!

Carbohydrates aren't evil (they're actually very important!), and a few tater tots doesn't make a dish unhealthy. I'd probably make sure the tots are as natural as possible (hopefully 100% potatoes). Potatoes may not be the ideal carb, but they're high in potassium and several other vitmins/minerals, and can be part of a perfectly healthy lifestyle when eaten in moderation and not fried to a crisp.
  • Starleng1
    Starleng1 Posts: 142
    Options

Below is a quote from the awesome LADYHAWK00 who is a moderator on this website and something I think EVERYONE should live by and stop being so judgmental in regards to what everyone else eats.

OP, I think your dinner looks delicious and that's good that you did individual portions.
    I think it's important to remember that everyone here is at a different stage in the process of getting healthy. When many people start, it's a huge deal just to change one or two things. Maybe they start by trying to meet cal goal and doing a little exercise - and don't worry about exact nutrients just yet. And that's ok. Because if that keeps them from being overwhelmed and quitting, then it IS the right way to do it. Hopefully it will lead to more progress and habits they can stick with.

Sure, I cringe when I see a diary where someone is at McD's every single day. But maybe that's an improvement for them - maybe they used to go 3 times a day.

So try to remember, everyone is fighting their own demons, at their own pace. :flowerforyou:

Wonderful quote. Everyone does need to remember to not judge. Support people for what they are doing, please.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    This sounds awesome! I do have a question, though - are the pickles necessary? I don't know if they are needed as a bottom layer - would it mess things up if I just left them out and used the meat as the bottom layer?

(I just really don't like pickles, haha.)
  • philssis
    philssis Posts: 28
    Options
    I don't think that's enough carbs to kill you and if you really like it, you've made some great choices to make it fit within your plan. My favorite - portion control - you only have 9 tater tots!! You can enjoy the deliciousness that is potato pieces without eating a whole bag. I can do that, you know :laugh:

Best of luck to you and way to go!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Well done, that looks like a clever way to get the "cheeseburger and fries" taste with a whole lot less calories.
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    This sounds awesome! I do have a question, though - are the pickles necessary? I don't know if they are needed as a bottom layer - would it mess things up if I just left them out and used the meat as the bottom layer?

(I just really don't like pickles, haha.)

They are not needed if you don't like them. You won't mess anything up. It just adds an interesting flavor to make it more burger-like. ^_^
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Dude, it's like 9 tater tots. I think her heart will be ok.
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I don't think pickles are necessary for this dish - do what you want. You're trying to create or, in this case, re-create a taste. Feel free to experiment.

Me, I couldn't do this. You might as well line the top with cut heroin as to put potatoes on top. Starchy vegetables are my complete downfall (along with fatty meats), so I just don't even tempt myself. There's just not an option for me.

But it would be unwise, I think, to tell someone else what they should do based upon my own needs.Seriously, the goal is to re-learn how to take care of ourselves, right? The old ways didn't work, so we need to learn new ways.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    That looks marvelous. One question, what size ramekins as there are actually several.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Yum !!! I can't wait to make this for my whole family !!!! Thank you for posting- with pics too !
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options

It has like six tater tots on the top.. how is that a pile of Carbs? Its mostly protein and I would say that the portion size is what makes a good lifestyle change!

BTW I AM MAKING THESE TONIGHT!!!!! YUMM!!
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    That looks marvelous. One question, what size ramekins as there are actually several.

Hmm, I'm not really sure but I'm going to say they'd probably hold 1.5 - 2 cups.