Do I really need to go to a running store and get proper run

Options
13»

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Your running store will hate you, but get fitted for the exact model that suits you then buy last season's version online*. You can usually get it for less than half the price. The difference is AWESOME and you may even find you suddenly want to run further and more often!

* Morally I am obliagated to tell you I feel too guilty to do this so I buy they pair they fitted me for then get my NEXT pair online.
  • gtm124
    gtm124 Posts: 179
    Options
    I don't have a problem with my knees, but I do have plantar fasciatis... and I think I might have had a calf strain last week, I looked it up and it said the calf strain could be from over pronation while running. I definitely need good cushioning in my heel because the PF kills me otherwise.

I had it bad and then used these: http://www.heel-that-pain.com/heel_seats.php?gclid=CKmyyurf3agCFcns7QodAml5bA
    Problem solved.
  • artvandalay
    artvandalay Posts: 71
    Options
    I'm back from Fleet Feet! They did my fitting, watched me walk/run. Told me i have a slight pronation, could use shoes with some stability in them.

I tried on 3 pairs. I felt like Goldilocks. The first pair had alot of arch support. The second pair had a ton of cushioning in the heel. The 3rd pair was perfect! It had great support all over and had great cushioning in the heel. Here they are:

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL1099/13265991/23619062/396665930.jpg

They were $100. First thing I did when I got home is google it to see if they were going for cheaper online, and nope... they are the same price online.

Funny thing is, I would have NEVER have tried on a size 10. I always wear 9 or 9 1/2. He fitted me for a 10 and they feel great!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I'm back from Fleet Feet! They did my fitting, watched me walk/run. Told me i have a slight pronation, could use shoes with some stability in them.

I tried on 3 pairs. I felt like Goldilocks. The first pair had alot of arch support. The second pair had a ton of cushioning in the heel. The 3rd pair was perfect! It had great support all over and had great cushioning in the heel. Here they are:

They were $100. First thing I did when I got home is google it to see if they were going for cheaper online, and nope... they are the same price online.

Funny thing is, I would have NEVER have tried on a size 10. I always wear 9 or 9 1/2. He fitted me for a 10 and they feel great!

Glad you found a pair that you love, although I'm sorry you couldn't find a cheaper price.

It's common to go up a half or full size in running shoes, actually. I wear an 8 in street shoes and have always needed a 9 in running shoes.

Your feet will swell a little bit while you run and you also need enough room in the toebox to not hit the end of the shoe when running hills or inclines--hitting the end of the shoe is what gives people black tonails and toenails that fall off! Sounds like you got the right size for you!

P.S.: We're in the exact same shoes! LOL I LOVE them and have worn the Asics stabiity shoes for over 10 years now. Very good quality!

I'm surprised you couldn't find them for around $79-$89 online though. Well, see how these work for you and then you can always take your time looking for a good price on them the next time you need shoes. ;)
  • artvandalay
    Options

P.S.: We're in the exact same shoes! LOL I LOVE them and have worn the Asics stabiity shoes for over 10 years now. Very good quality!

I'm surprised you couldn't find them for around $79-$89 online though. Well, see how these work for you and then you can always take your time looking for a good price on them the next time you need shoes. ;)

Glad you like them! Honestly I didn't look online very hard. I just googled it and clicked the "shopping" option, ****s Sports, Zappos and about another half dozen places came up all around $95.99 to $99.99

I did read a couple of reviews on this shoe and it has gotten some great reviews. I still am so surprised I am wearing a size 10! I feel like Bigfoot! lol
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Thank you for this info. We have hardwood floors, and the past 5 years I have always walked around barefoot or just socks. I think this has caused my PF. I have to wear good shoes now around the house otherwise first thing in the morning the heel of my right foot is really painful. If I'm good about wearing shoes around the house, my PF doesn't bother me. I wasn't sure how PF affects running, though. I have no idea how my foot lands when I run.... hopefully later this morning after I visit Fleet Feet I will leave with more information on my gait and footing.

Walking and running barefoot use different biomechanics. When you walk, you use your heel. When you run barefoot, it hurts too much to land on the heel so your body will naturally shift itself to land midfoot and use the arch and the rest of your leg as a shock absorber.
  • VStar55
    VStar55 Posts: 75
    Options
    I don't have a problem with my knees, but I do have plantar fasciatis... and I think I might have had a calf strain last week, I looked it up and it said the calf strain could be from over pronation while running. I definitely need good cushioning in my heel because the PF kills me otherwise.

I'm a former sufferer of PF, had it for aprox 5 years. I stopped running for almost 3 years because of the pain and that was THE best thing for for my feet. Now that my feet are better I do 3 things to keep the PF from returning.

1. Wear GOOD running shoes. If you have PF you need a shoe that has a lot of cushioning. Check out Saucony Triumph 8, Asics is another brand that many runners swear by.

2. Rotate your shoes. This means your going to have to get 2 pairs and wear them on alternating days.

3. Be careful about speed, hills and mileage. I have found that if I attempt to run a hill too fast with big steps I'll get sore.
  • artvandalay
    Options

I'm a former sufferer of PF, had it for aprox 5 years. I stopped running for almost 3 years because of the pain and that was THE best thing for for my feet. Now that my feet are better I do 3 things to keep the PF from returning.

1. Wear GOOD running shoes. If you have PF you need a shoe that has a lot of cushioning. Check out Saucony Triumph 8, Asics is another brand that many runners swear by.

2. Rotate your shoes. This means your going to have to get 2 pairs and wear them on alternating days.

3. Be careful about speed, hills and mileage. I have found that if I attempt to run a hill too fast with big steps I'll get sore.

I tried out a Saucony and it had really good cushion in the heel. I ended up with an Asics GT 21-60.. It had good support all over and I felt decent cushioning in the hell (altho I think the Saucony might have had a tad more)
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options

Glad you found a pair that you love, although I'm sorry you couldn't find a cheaper price. I'm surprised you couldn't find them for around $79-$89 online though.

I'm glad you bought them in the store after them fitting you and getting you into the right shoe. It's worth at LEAST that, and from now on, you can buy anywhere you wish. If too many people get a free fitting and then buy online, someday we might not have bricks and mortar stores to get fitted at. I applaud you for supporting a local business that provided you with a valuable service. I understand trying to save a buck on the secondary pair and those after that, but for the fitting, it seems like an $11 well spent. :) As someone grateful for the fact that these physical places exist so I (and my clients and family members) can get a professional fitting, I say "thanks." :flowerforyou:
  • CMoney412
    CMoney412 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I went to a running store, got fitted, and have been wearing the same exact brand & style ever since -- which I find online. But that first time -- fit is where it's at! I don't care how far or long (or short) you are planning on. This is your BODY, your back, and your feet!