Here are the 7 weight loss blocking foods:

Options

Replies

• MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Well, I eat pretty much every thing on your list, and I've been losing consistently. I'm interesting in hearing if you have any evidence-based sources for your list, of if you're just spouting your personal opinion.

I got this from another site and I wanted to share it. It shouldn't have been considered weightloss blocking foods however, processed foods and cereals and canned foods and all that aren't good for you and that's a fact. As for the cows milk it's all over the internet, to each their own. But I personally just wanted to share this bc it's basically pointin out something ppl already know and that it just stick to a clean diet. Which is not easy by all means. The two things I am guilty of which are holdin me back from reaching my fitness goals are the canned foods and the processed foods. I limit my bread to only a couple of times per week. But I thought this was a great overall post and wanted to share it. Sorry, I don't have any evidence-based sources. I am not a doctor nor am I a scientist. LOL but I do feel that a lil info can maybe help others.

It would be great if you would share your source / give some attribution. Because spreading FALSE information without scientific evidence can most certainly HURT people.
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    great post!
  • SoUnaware
    SoUnaware Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Fantastic list! Also, makes me feel damned good because I do not eat any of these!

7) Bread

While I recommend eating bread as a part of adding variety to your diet, consuming it in excess can be dangerous! In addition, some breads are high in corn syrup and trans fatty acids. Thus, if you choose to eat some breads, make sure that they are all natural and limit your consumption to 2-3 slices at a time.

I eat whole/multi-grain breads that say "healthy" on the label because you have to meet specific requirements in order to put "healthy" on your label. What is your opinion on this?
  • sociable15
    sociable15 Posts: 98
    Options
    While I agree to drinking raw milk from a trusted and known source (Get to you know your farmers!!) it is illegal to sell in some states, even if labelled "not recommended for human consumption". Delaware, for example, it's completely illegal to sell. Trust me, I've been tryin' for years.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Fantastic list! Also, makes me feel damned good because I do not eat any of these!

7) Bread

While I recommend eating bread as a part of adding variety to your diet, consuming it in excess can be dangerous! In addition, some breads are high in corn syrup and trans fatty acids. Thus, if you choose to eat some breads, make sure that they are all natural and limit your consumption to 2-3 slices at a time.

I eat whole/multi-grain breads that say "healthy" on the label because you have to meet specific requirements in order to put "healthy" on your label. What is your opinion on this?

two things I would do here - find out what the requirements are to put the words 'healthy' on the label (would probably surprise you); and look at the ingredients list on the bread. More than flour, yeast and water and you probably want to avoid it. Far better to have bread that doesn't come in a packet with a label to read at all!!!!
  • girlinahat
    Options
    While I agree to drinking raw milk from a trusted and known source (Get to you know your farmers!!) it is illegal to sell in some states, even if labelled "not recommended for human consumption". Delaware, for example, it's completely illegal to sell. Trust me, I've been tryin' for years.

since hunting for raw milk here in the UK I have been feeling very sorry for people in the US - the law also extends to unpasteurised cheese I believe. Boy are you missing out on some good stuff!!!
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I would never drink unpasturized milk. I just don't think it is safe enough. But I agree with the other suggestions

I just drink Almond or Soy milk (Almond taste better) because cow milk tastes disgusting to me after not being able to drink it for about a year.
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    While I think this is a good "ideal" list, you can still lose weight if you eat some of the things on there. I love my Kashi cereal, and usually have a bowl a week with pasturized milk ;) I also don't mind frozen meals for lunch at work, especially since I am super super busy working full time and going to school full time. I cook my dinners fresh, but frozen is where its at for lunch. And I have lost plenty of weight that way. And bread, well, I see nothing wrong with eating my whole grain bread. Love it :)

I do think that your list is certainly a good ideal for the most part, but I would not say that the foods are "weight loss blocking"
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    omg people, she was just sharing a post, you don't have to agree with it, but give her a break!

and duh, you can still lose weight eating that stuff, you can lose weight eating twinkies everyday, I think she was more talking about the health risks associated with them then the actual weight loss.
  • pittielover23
    Options
    omg people, she was just sharing a post, you don't have to agree with it, but give her a break!

and duh, you can still lose weight eating that stuff, you can lose weight eating twinkies everyday, I think she was more talking about the health risks associated with them then the actual weight loss.
    I think you are being a wee bit sensitive. No one is reeming her, we are just discussing the list. Which I think is the point of the board.

And weight loss was implied since they were called "weight loss blocking foods"
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Well, I eat pretty much every thing on your list, and I've been losing consistently. I'm interesting in hearing if you have any evidence-based sources for your list, of if you're just spouting your personal opinion.

I got this from another site and I wanted to share it. It shouldn't have been considered weightloss blocking foods however, processed foods and cereals and canned foods and all that aren't good for you and that's a fact. As for the cows milk it's all over the internet, to each their own. But I personally just wanted to share this bc it's basically pointin out something ppl already know and that it just stick to a clean diet. Which is not easy by all means. The two things I am guilty of which are holdin me back from reaching my fitness goals are the canned foods and the processed foods. I limit my bread to only a couple of times per week. But I thought this was a great overall post and wanted to share it. Sorry, I don't have any evidence-based sources. I am not a doctor nor am I a scientist. LOL but I do feel that a lil info can maybe help others.

It would be great if you would share your source / give some attribution. Because spreading FALSE information without scientific evidence can most certainly HURT people.

Well, then you better get busy correcting everyone on here then, b/c this is a community driven forum! There are tons of different views and opinions being thrown around on a daily basis. and people are not providing scientific evidence..b/c we all know that scientists know everything!! and we should trust everything science says, b/c that never changes, right. gah, people, just read it, either agree or disagree, use some common sense.
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    Good guidelines, but just to throw this out there:

I've lost 55 lbs in 16 weeks eating pretty much everything on your list, in moderation. I do try to keep the sodium & sugar at reasonable levels, and the majority of my diet is raw fresh veggies and lean proteins (mostly fish and turkey, but I eat some beef every now and again). So I think there is alot of truth in what you are saying, but I dont think it's always necessary to have such a restrictive diet as to not include those things at all. For me, one of the big problems with dieting is just a lack of time....sometimes, frequently in fact, it's either something pre-packaged, or nothing.

All things being equal (meaning, specific health and/or dietary needs of an individual), I've found that the main thing for me is to just watch calories in and calories out, regardless of where they come from (fat, alcohol, protein, carbs). I basically just count those and let everything else fall where it may.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    To clarify the UK position - it's illegal to distribute in Scotland, and the highly inspected production is only carried out by around 200 farms, all in England, and cannot be distributed through retail networks. So, as I say. Not exactly the easiest thing in this part of the world (Northern Ireland) to obtain. I'm sure it tastes great, but I refuse to accept that pasteurised milk is somehow hindering my weight loss, or depriving me of essential vitamins I can't get elsewhere.
  • mjohnson2
    mjohnson2 Posts: 2
    Options
    I agree and dis-agree on the frozen foods. I am on a salt restricted diet and I need to lose weight. I wanted to try NutriSystem but wanted to taste it first without buying it. I started with the Lea Cuisine and several others and noticed they were almost as high as the other frozen meals but the calories were not that different 100-150 more for the regular meals. I tried them since Dec. 2010 and found the ones I liked and checked the sodium content and I have lost 52 since Dec. and 33 since I started using the fitness pal app. You have to read the labels. I hope this helps.
  • kdougl01
    kdougl01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree the people on this forum are a little mean to say the least. I have never posted before and I dare say will never post again due to some really critical people. The list she came up with is the exact same list my licensed dietician gave me. But her list came with the " this list does not mean you cannot eat these foods just eat smarter, the healthier version of each". Stop being mean and critical this world is messed up enough, I want to lose weight and be healthy not read someone nit picking about a list.
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Unpasturized milk is very hard to find in the US. Pasturization is required, but some small dairies have ways to get around that. The reason why pasturization is necessary doesn't really have much to do with the milk itsself, it has to do with the living conditions of the animals and how the milk is stored, etc. Most of the milk we buy commercially comes from filthy, unnatural conditions. The cows are fed corn, antibiotics and hormones. They have no pasture area and spend much of their day in very close quarters with no excercise and standing in their own feces. Many small, independent farmers, however, allow their cattle to eat pasture grass, walk around outside and have a more instinctual herd life. Because they get to be outside in the fresh air, they harbor fewer contaminents and their bodies own immune system is not comprimised. Pasturization of milk from these cows is not as important. Plus, without pasturization, the natural enzymes in this milk helps to transform the way your body breaks down the sugars and fats, to be healthier. Milk and meat from cattle raised this way also has higher amounts of omega 3 fatty acids, the good fatsthat we are supposed to ingest. I don't havelinks to particular studies, but my doctor who is an environmental allergist has had this discussion with me. NOT ALL MILK IS CREATED EQUAAL. It is unsafe farming practices that has created the need for pasturization. Not the milk itself.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I do apologise if I came across as being unduly harsh: most of the list I think is sound advice. But I was having this discussion about milk the other day with a German, where they DO have access to the raw stuff, and she wondered if that had been the cause of her TB a few years ago.

So raw milk may well have health benefits, but it also comes with massive warnings in countries right across the world, and I feel it's totally impractical to recommend something which is going to be unobtainable for many of us....and again, what's so bad about pasteurised milk?
  • girlinahat
    Options
    To clarify the UK position - it's illegal to distribute in Scotland, and the highly inspected production is only carried out by around 200 farms, all in England, and cannot be distributed through retail networks. So, as I say. Not exactly the easiest thing in this part of the world (Northern Ireland) to obtain. I'm sure it tastes great, but I refuse to accept that pasteurised milk is somehow hindering my weight loss, or depriving me of essential vitamins I can't get elsewhere.

However you CAN get raw milk delivered, even in Scotland -

http://www.hookandson.co.uk/HOW TO GET OUR MILK/how to get our milk.html

unless you live somewhere like Shetlands etc, where you could probably just grab a cow and no one would notice. Not sure about NI. (edit - I found a supplier in Ballymena but not sure if they deliver) And I don't know how they get around the law banning raw milk in Scotland.

There are arguments for and against the use of raw milk. Interestingly generally the reasons cited against raw milk are that 'the benefits do not outweigh the risks of bacterial infection'. What this says to me is that there ARE benefits to drinking raw milk as opposed to pasteurised. Which are most likely in terms of nutrients and digestive capabilities. Sometimes when we mess with a foodstuff it becomes less edible, and I think this is the case for milk to.

Each to his own. I am happy to take the risk like many thousands of other people who grew up before pasteurisation.

I have no idea if pasteurised milk hinders weightloss. To me this list is sensible from a clean eating point of view.
  • pittielover23
    Options
    Unpasturized milk is very hard to find in the US. Pasturization is required, but some small dairies have ways to get around that. The reason why pasturization is necessary doesn't really have much to do with the milk itsself, it has to do with the living conditions of the animals and how the milk is stored, etc. Most of the milk we buy commercially comes from filthy, unnatural conditions. The cows are fed corn, antibiotics and hormones. They have no pasture area and spend much of their day in very close quarters with no excercise and standing in their own feces. Many small, independent farmers, however, allow their cattle to eat pasture grass, walk around outside and have a more instinctual herd life. Because they get to be outside in the fresh air, they harbor fewer contaminents and their bodies own immune system is not comprimised. Pasturization of milk from these cows is not as important. Plus, without pasturization, the natural enzymes in this milk helps to transform the way your body breaks down the sugars and fats, to be healthier. Milk and meat from cattle raised this way also has higher amounts of omega 3 fatty acids, the good fatsthat we are supposed to ingest. I don't havelinks to particular studies, but my doctor who is an environmental allergist has had this discussion with me. NOT ALL MILK IS CREATED EQUAAL. It is unsafe farming practices that has created the need for pasturization. Not the milk itself.
    While some of that is true, pasturization has been around a lot longer than commercial farming practices have. It was originally created to extend the shelf life of milk. Even cows raised on the happiest farm on earth can have micro-bacteria and organisms that are not beneficial to people.

It is fine that some people choice to drink raw milk, not saying that is an issue for them. But as disguisting as our farming practices are (and trust, I am very very against our commercial farming practices), they are not the sole reason for this process.
  • tmoran8403
    tmoran8403 Posts: 6
    Options
    Unpasteurized milk is safe, however not legal in the US.