is 5'7 and 130 pounds unhealthy?

Options
Hi there!! I'm currently trying to lose 40 pounds, which would put me at 130. I'm also 5'7 in height, and very curvy (hips, thighs, chest, etc.), so I was wondering: is 130 unhealthy for me? I keep saying that it is my goal weight, but I'm starting to wonder now!

Replies

• ANewMaria2014
    ANewMaria2014 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Well, I think it is less that what you should weight. I am 5'2 and according to the doctor my healthy weight is 135 so being that you are taller, I would think that your healthy weight would be a little higher. Might want to consult with your doctor or a nutritionist just be sure, you don't want to get sick or anything. Good luck!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I think that sounds fine. I'm 5'10 and I'm roughly 155. My GW is 140. My sister is 5'9 and roughly 130 & she looks great. Just depends on the body type I guess. Watch yourself as you decrease in size and number and gauge it that way. Weight looks different on everyone depending on where you carry it.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Check your BMI (Body Mass Index) and that will let you know what range your weight should be for your height.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I checked and according to the BMI chart you would be in a healthy range BUT it all depends on your body type. What looks good for one person will not look good for another..... I'm 5'4" and i set my goal to 135lbs. This is b/c i do not wanna get too skinny. I'm gonna get to 135 and then see if i need some adjusting. 128lbs would be the absolute middle of my healthy BMI, which i think is a good goal. I want to keep my curves
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and I look and feel my best around 135-145. I'm also curvy (well, busty anyway).

I've been lighter and I start to look a little tired if I get under 130. I also found it hard to stay that low without very consistent and extensive workouts, while 135-145 is pretty easy and comfortable to maintain and has me in a size 4-6.
  • possessed
    possessed Posts: 12
    Options
    Well ! I would say it would be the smallest you would want to go ! I am 5"6 and am currently 143 pounds (a size 10 with a a healthy BMI).
    It depends on what your body suites ! and can stay healthy at !
    I would say 130 pounds is optimum for girls lour height ...
    and plus... we wouldn't want to lose those curves would we ;)
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    the best thing is to keep losing till you feel and look good when looking in the mirror. This may be too small for you. But you will know when you feel like you are at the right weight for you and that is when you should stop trying to lose. Good luck. :)
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on your build, I'm 5'7 and have about 155lbs of lean body mass... I'm big boned and pretty muscular, so 130 while that would be fantastic, is not a reality for me. If you are on a more petite frame though you might be fine... it is within the "healthy" weight range for 5"7
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Just re-evaluate along the way.
    I set my goal for 145 but if I feel like I'm OK before I hit that weight then great. If I hit 145 and I'm still feeling like I could tone or lose more, then great.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    a rule of thumb for "ideal" weight is 100 lbs at 5' and add 5lbsper inch, so at 5'7" this would put you at 135 (100 +7*5) for large frame add 10% for smaller frame minus 10% so 121.5-148.5 depending on frame size.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Height/weight charts say 125-160 is healthy for your height. Obviously if you are low in bodyfat, say 15%, you will look strong and defined regardless.
  • emoritz2
    emoritz2 Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm just under 5'8" and currently weight 130 lbs and know my best weight is around 125-128 (for looks and how in-shape I am). But I'm not curvy AT ALL and have a leaner frame, so like everyone says it really depends on your body type. Check with your doctor and also maybe find/friend women on MFP who have similar builds and heights to compare goals with.
  • marchegt
    marchegt Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hey

I am 5'6 and I am currently about 128, and still hoping to lose about another 5 lbs or so. I think depending on your build, 130 can be healthy. If you wantmore muscle though then your weight will be higher (mine is going up as I am doing more strength training now!). Also, I have always been slightly bigger, I come from a 'large' italian family... but at 128 and 5'6 I can definitely still lose more (just not a ton more!).

Hope that helps! People really have their own opinions just go with it until you reach a weight that FEELS healthy to you!
  • fitfocusedfamily
    fitfocusedfamily Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi there!! I'm currently trying to lose 40 pounds, which would put me at 130. I'm also 5'7 in height, and very curvy (hips, thighs, chest, etc.), so I was wondering: is 130 unhealthy for me? I keep saying that it is my goal weight, but I'm starting to wonder now!

I'm 5'8" and currently weigh 140-145 on average. I have been as low as 135 & have been trying to get back to that. I don't think that is "unhealthy" at all. However, I will say, as I have been struggling to get below 140, your body will allow you to go only so far, as long as you are practicing good nutrition and regular exercise.

You have an SMART goal...small, measurable, acheivable, realistic, and (hopefully) a reasonable time frame. Do what makes you feel good about yourself and do it in a healthy way. Don't put too much emphasis on the number.
  • Emalyn
    Emalyn Posts: 60
    Options
    a rule of thumb for "ideal" weight is 100 lbs at 5' and add 5lbsper inch, so at 5'7" this would put you at 135 (100 +7*5) for large frame add 10% for smaller frame minus 10% so 121.5-148.5 depending on frame size.

That helps a lot! I don't have a very big frame at all, and my bones are definitely small ( they're actually realllllllly fragile!). And I have little to no muscle. It's great to know the ideal range, thanks! Like others have said, I will get to where I feel comfortable and just see how it goes. I've gotten down to 149 before and I know I would like to be a little smaller than that, because I still didn't look too good.

Thank you everyone! I will play it by ear! Or...scale. Or...whatever. :P
  • Charice
    Charice Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and my Dr just set my goal weight at 165 based on my body type and history. I was shooting for 155, but he said get to 165 and go from there. I am "curvy" and my bone density scan says I have very dense (and therefore heavier) bones. He is also much more concerned about my body at % than the scale. It surprised me, but I decided to just see how it goes and where I am when I get to the 165.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

That helps a lot! I don't have a very big frame at all, and my bones definitely aren't big at all (the downside is they're actually realllllllly fragile!). And I have little to no muscle. It's great to know the ideal range, thanks! Like others have said, I will get to where I feel comfortable and just see how it goes. I've gotten down to 149 before and I know I would like to be a little smaller than that, because I still didn't look too good.

Thank you everyone! I will play it by ear! Or...scale. Or...whatever. :P

Just keep in mind that once you are in the 'healthy' weight range for your height, the type and amount of exercise you are doing will play a HUGE role in the shape of your body, how firm it is and what size you wear. So maybe 149 was a perfectly reasonable goal for you, but your exercise plan needed some changes in order to get you closer to the shape you wanted.

I've always been fairly muscular, so I am often a smaller size at a higher weight than some other women of the same height if I'm working out regularly. Similarly, if I stop working out, I'll change sizes before my weight goes up at all. So also consider what exercise plan will get you into the shape you want and whether that's a plan you're willing to maintain.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It is low for your height. I am aiming for 130, and am 2 inches shorter than you. But I don't think it's unhealthy low, just at the bottom end of ok.
  • Emalyn
    Emalyn Posts: 60
    Options
    Just keep in mind that once you are in the 'healthy' weight range for your height, the type and amount of exercise you are doing will play a HUGE role in the shape of your body, how firm it is and what size you wear. So maybe 149 was a perfectly reasonable goal for you, but your exercise plan needed some changes in order to get you closer to the shape you wanted.

I've always been fairly muscular, so I am often a smaller size at a higher weight than some other women of the same height if I'm working out regularly. Similarly, if I stop working out, I'll change sizes before my weight goes up at all. So also consider what exercise plan will get you into the shape you want and whether that's a plan you're willing to maintain.

I've heard of people switching to more strength exercises after they lose weight, but I never thought about it, really. This is very true. When I was around 149-150 I was still extremely disappointed in my stomach and thighs. They never seemed to want to go away as much as I would like. I would love to wear a size six, but I don't even know if that's possible with my thighs and stomach. So - thank you very much! I will remember this. I will try to get to where I feel healthy and then focus on my shape. :)

I'm not good with keeping up with a lot of exercise, although I do like to be very active. I have a treadmill and a little step climber machine, but no access to a gym. I'm so un-muscular and weak it's sometimes laughable, but I should think about working on that. :)
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    It seems a little on the low side to me but probably not unhealthy if you're eating well. I'm 5'7" too and my goal is to maintain at 135-140.