Any Woman with an IUD (mirena) please help!

Options
Just a general question, I was wondering if anyone on here has a IUD in and if that has at all hindered your weight loss? Has it made you gain any weight?

I had one put in last year and I have been struggling more than usual to try and lose weight. I don't know if it's my diet or minimal exercise or if it's the IUD. Usually I can drop the pounds easily but now its getting to be tougher and I'm just at a stand still most of the time. If anyone has had issues like this please let me know. I really want to lose weight and if getting this thing removed is going to help I'd like to know!

Thanks!

Replies

• oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Isn't an IUD hormone free? If it is I don't see how it would interfere with any weight loss.. I'm not sure though, is it? lol
  • Sarean
    Sarean Posts: 77
    Options
    I just got a Mirena this month, but weight gain was one of my biggest concerns. My doctor said that Mirena has been shown to be weight neutral, so it doesn't make you gain or lose weight.

I would say make sure you're tracking all of your food and ramp up the exercise a bit. If you're still having trouble losing weight, then definitely talk to your doctor.
  • heididormanen
    Options
    I had mirena in for a little over a month.. I was sick as a dog and ended up in the hospital where it was removed.. I felt better imediately. Mirena releases hormones into your system and my body was not a fan of that :) The good thing about it is that it comes out as quickly as it goes in so if you are having any problems with it you can have your doctor take it out.
  • kacc24
    kacc24 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have heard that hormones in Mirena are not as strong as found in other forms of birth control, however in my experience they have all made weight loss a huge challenge. You could always switch to Paraguard which has no hormones, if you still want the protection without the weight loss issues.
  • MarieRich
    MarieRich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I gained 25 pounds while using Mirena. It is not hormone free. I don't know that the weight gain had anything to do with the IUD>
  • judysalinas
    Options
    I have a similar IUD but its NOT the Mirena one, some of them have hormones, I had mine put in for free because of a clinical trial that i am doing with a hospital here.. I have to ask next time if this one has hormones or not, I've just heard a lot of horror stories from these IUDs (after already having it in.. next time i need to do some research) so i figured I'd ask if anyone is having the same issues.

I'll have to stay extra focused I guess if the IUD isn't affecting me.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I am on the Mirena. I haven't had an issue with weight gain due to being on the Mirena. Now that I am older it is harder to lose weight - not because of the Mirena but because our bodies metabolism naturally slows down. I will say that I had side affects when I received teh Mirena but I think it was more from the removal of the hormones I received from the Pill not from the insertion of the Mirena. But if you are really concerned, I would discuss it with your doctor as there is some hormone in the Mirena.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have had one for 8 years (10 yr version) and I cannot attribute that to any weight gain / slowling of weight loss.
  • mrk1day
    mrk1day Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have an IUD and am a medical student so here are the facts.

Mirena gives you pulses of progesterone (the same hormone in the depo shot) so yes there is weight gain. HOWEVER, it is more localized and thus does not have a enormous weight gain associated with the depo shot. But because it is localized, most of the weight gain is around your hip/waist area, and it should not be debilitating like the depo shot. You have to definitely watch your food and exercise if you are prone to easily gaining weight, such as myself :(. But personally, I think that the benefits of having 5 years of contraception, possibly no periods, and never having to worry about pills outweighs those risks. It has made me want to become more healthy.

I was just like you too. It was always easy for me to lose weight when I wanted to but in the past couple of years it's been so much harder. I think age has more to do with it than your mirena would. However, that's a personal opinion. Although it is a known fact that our bodies accumulate more fat as we get older, stubborn fat that is harder to get rid of.

Hope this helps. Message or friend me if I can help you in any other way!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have a Mirena IUD and I love it! I didn't notice a weight gain with it. In fact, I lost weight because I was trying. It was placed a couple of months after my last child was born. I rarely have a period so that's a PLUS!
  • swtwest
    swtwest Posts: 6
    Options
    I had an IUD previously & did not have any problems losing weight.......if anything it helped because I stopped cycling every month therefore the craving to snack (chocolate or salty things)decreased as well as the 4 days of bloating and feeling miserable! However, hormone changes from the constant presence of the IUD in place can slow down your metabolism. Same goes with age too though so either way you will have to step it up anyway as you get older.
    Good luck to you!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    IUD is a low hormone solution.

Go to your doctor and get a blood test to make sure you are balanced hormone-wise.

And losing weight is different depending on what age you are. For example, what worked in your 20s will not work in your 30s. This is because of hormones and a hormone shift that occurs for women as they age.
  • KerriAnneW
    KerriAnneW Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had one before and thought it was hindering my weight loss so I had it removed. Well, I still wasn't losing any weight so it wasn't the Mirena. I just had it put back in after realizing what a huge mistake it was to have it removed a year ago. Don't have it removed! I really regretted it! Talk to your doctor about what else you can do. Try keeping a food journal. It's really amazing how much we eat that we don't even realize. Good Luck!
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have had my Mirena IUD for going on 2 years and I have not had any problem with weight gain or weight loss. With the Mirena there is a small amount of hormone that is release but it stays only in the uterus (my OBGYN told me this).
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    On my 2nd Mirena and haven't gained any weight because of it. It doesn't seem to be making losing weight difficult as I'm losing steadily.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I am on my 2nd mirena. I did not have any weigh gain because of it.
  • cloud92222
    cloud92222 Posts: 19
    Options
    I have had Mirena for 5 years and have found that I have had much more trouble losing weight. HOWEVER, I am getting older by the day as well. (: I don't think it should make that much of a difference for you though.
  • haldeman5
    haldeman5 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have been on Mirena for almost 3 years. I have read many boards where people say a side effect of Mirena is gaining weight. I didn't gain much weight maybe a few pounds but I have had trouble losing weight. I am not sure if it is the mirena or if it is just my body. I will say that to lose at a good pace like I have been I have to be very strict with my eating and workout 5-6 days a week. There are still weeks I plateau and it is hard to keep the weight coming off. I have a love hate relationship with Mirena...I like that my time of the month is almost gone now and much lighter than before. I also not like having to worry about getting pregnant. I will say that Mirena has made me very moody the first year I took it and also was not good on my sex drive. I am not sure if I will keep it much longer. Good Luck finding answers, feel free to ask me any questions:-)
  • Bellydance
    Bellydance Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I had a Mirena IUD put in about 3 and a half years ago. I'm 51 now. I changed my eating and exercise habits a lot since then, and I have lost around 30 pounds in the last two years. Everyone's different and my daughter thinks she gained a little since she had hers put in, but some times our minds can be very powerful in that regard. I never thought I'd gain weight with it and didn't. Taking charge of my food and exercise is what works. Hope you find your solution. Keep trying everything till you find something that works.
  • judysalinas
    Options
    :) I think i will talk to my doctor next time I see her. You guys are so awesome! I'm really happy I joined!!