Cottage Cheese

Options
13»

Replies

• Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    We like to make mock rice pudding with it. Add a splash of vanilla, some cinnamon, a couple packets of stevia, and raisins. So good. I also like to add some sunflower seeds for the salty/sweet thing. Even my cottage cheese hating hubby likes it!
  • vhoffman63
    vhoffman63 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm acutally eating some right now! Mixed it with Pico de Gallo (or you can cut up your own tomatoes, onions, cilantro, or salsa), pepper, diced avacado. Makes it a bit chunky and eat it as a dip with sliced cucumbers. Gives a variation to the sweet additives. Tasty!
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    A bunch of terrific ideas here!

I use cottage cheese as both a sweet and a savory base (not at the same time), in many of the ways that have already been posted (and many I haven't tried yet).

Also, I use it in recipes as a substitute for ricotta cheese.
  • jhamlin6668
    jhamlin6668 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This may sound totally gross, but trust me, it is pretty good. I used to make a skinny cheese danish out of it. Take one slice of bread, put however much cottage cheese on it, sprinkle some artificial sweetener and a little bit of cinnamon. Then, put it under the broiler until it is warm/mushy/creamy (pick your adjective). It is quite tasty!!
  • mixmastermel_b
    mixmastermel_b Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    as a sweet treat i mix in vanilla bean paste & about a teaspoon of mini chocolate chips. hits the spot if you need to fulfill your sweet tooth.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I just tried cottage cheese for my first time the other day and I didn't mind it and I noticed how good the nutrition is and I think it'd be a great way for me to get my protein, but it kind of grosses me out just eating it plain. How do you eat your cottage cheese? Do you put it on bread? Do you mix it with something?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!!

currently I'm taking a break from dairy to help weight loss along, but when I did enjoy cottage cheese, I usually had it with berries and a tiny bit of stevia
  • Weavertracker
    Options
    I like Cottage Cheese NON-FAT with Salsa.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Love it with garden fresh tomatoes - however, one warning about Cottage Cheese ... it is VERY high in sodium! So if you have to watch that - beware! I never realized it until I had to watch for it!

I agree on both accounts
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I like Breakstone's low sodium cottage cheese when I can find it.

The good ol' stumptous page has lots of good ideas here: http://www.stumptuous.com/the-cottage-cheese-page
  • valbar61
    valbar61 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    This is how I LOVE it::

1/2 cup cottage cheese
    cut up apple
    1 splenda
    1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp vanilla

As far as the sodium I only eat it when I haven't had alot of sodium already that day. I tried Friendship low sodium and it was AWFUL!
  • michelleisgettinfit
    Options
    Fresh fruit is my favorite... Or Tomatoes with a little seasoning.... another thing I have yet to try but sounds good is a little canned pumpkin and nutmeg. mmmmm :)
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    This is how I LOVE it::

1/2 cup cottage cheese
    cut up apple
    1 splenda
    1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp vanilla

As far as the sodium I only eat it when I haven't had alot of sodium already that day. I tried Friendship low sodium and it was AWFUL!

that sounds like crack. \m/
    rock on!
  • m12brown
    m12brown Posts: 51
    Options
    I love it mixed with fresh diced tomato (especially when in season) and lots of cracked black pepper. I have friends who use salsa when the tomatoes aren't in season, tried it a couple of times and it's definitely not for me!
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Oh if you like chocolate, I highly recommend scoring some MojoMilk. What is it? Think of nesquik powder. Now imagine the healthiest version possible. Add probiotic. That's MojoMilk. You can mix it with just about anything.

Chocolate cottage cheese FTW!
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I add cottage cheese on top of a warm English muffin and I add it to lasagna [I've been experimenting with a couple of veggie lasagna combos and I like that I am getting plenty of protein from the cheese.
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I love to dice cucumbers and tomatoes with a lil black pepper mixed into the cottage cheese
  • mandyschalk
    mandyschalk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was eating cottage cheese for the protein also. I just switch to greek yogert and I LOVE it!!