Looking for Vegetarians/Vegans...

Options
13»

Replies

• Sallerina84
    Sallerina84 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Being vegan for 6 years now my best advice to anyone wanting to adopt that lifestyle is...

DON'T TAKE ADVICE FROM VEGETARIANS!

Honestly, why are people who are not vegan recommending "a slow transition"? I understand the pride you may feel in being vegetarian, but it really gives you no insight into being vegan.

So to the aspiring vegan, if it is only about diet, well...then it's not vegan. If you want to call it a vegan diet, that's kinda lame and misses the point. That would be what we used to call vegetarian before eggs and cheese started getting coopted by vegetarians. So then it became strict vegetarian. But if it is ethical as well and yiu are more dietary focused do the research and take time to read some of Dr. Neal Barnard's books. There is ample evidence that a vegan diet is far better for you (and other animals as well). Far more death goes into milk and egg production than most non-vegans want to admit, but the facts won't hide or be twisted if you look for yourself. Also check out "The China Study".

If you are heading this way for purely ethical reasons with your diet being a another logical extension of that such as what you wear, carbon footprint, etc., then try "Becoming Vegan" or "The Vegan Sourcebook".

I definitely recommend vegweb.com as a place for recipe ideas as well as Post Punk Kitchen. You can also make friends. The 14 year vegan I love and live with met each other on a vegan forum about 5 years ago.

I have traveled to both coasts after becoming vegan simply forth purpose of meeting other vegans. I learned that simply being vegan does not make me like you, but I can sure appreciate your ethical consistency over a vegetarian who says they are doing it "for the animals". And for all the vegetarians who want to slam me for that last statement, I was vegetarian before I became vegan. I wish someone would have slapped me down from my little hypocritical cloud. When you truly want to make it about ethics, vegan is the only choice. This attitude will get one accused of being "elitist" as quick as anything but for me it's nothing I pat myself on the back for. To over celebrate being vegan would quite literally be the equivalent of thanking myself every day for not killing anyone, it's just common sense now.

So go vegan and don't be a whiny one. Don't take advice from one who isn't vegan or who "tried that once". Follow what you feel about your impact on other animal's lives and whether or not killing them is necessary or relevant to you. Don't hide behind food addictions, believe me you will beat yourself up for that later.

I actually care about all animals, including vegetarians. ;-)

As a vegetarian I find your post quite insulting.

You accuse vegetarians of basically being narrow minded and being on a "hypocritical cloud". I am not a hypocrite. I have certain views that are personal and I don't force them on anyone else. I also don't pretend that dairy production is all sweetness and light.

If you were vegetarian before being a vegan, and most likely a meat eater before that, what gives you the right to preach to others when you were once the same? That's like telling someone how stupid they are to smoke, when you used to smoke yourself...if that's not being hypocritical, I don't know what is!

I do however, applaud you for your dedication, as I think it must be very hard being a vegan...but I believe vegetarianism isn't a waste of time and it's just as valid a lifestyle choice as being vegan. Preaching about how people should be eating is no better than preaching about what religion someone should follow, something I personally hate...each to their own!

I think the transition that people (including me) have suggested is not a bad idea, not only would it be easier for the person doing it in stages, it wouldn't be as big a shock to the system, and it's about being healthy yourself as well as "saving the animals". There's no point trying it full speed ahead cutting everything out in one day, and then giving up. I think doing it in stages would make someone more likely to achieve their goal.
  • ssernst
    ssernst Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Well said Sallerina :)
  • Sallerina84
    Options

hehe, thanks!

i don't think everything is as black and white as some people think!

my dad is a meat eater, yet a huge animal lover and is actually a wildlife surveyor, protecting endangered species, does lots of voluntary work, and won environmentalist of the year!

there's more than one way of saving the animals (and the planet!), and being vegetarian or vegan is just a tiny part of it.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options

hehe, thanks!

i don't think everything is as black and white as some people think!

my dad is a meat eater, yet a huge animal lover and is actually a wildlife surveyor, protecting endangered species, does lots of voluntary work, and won environmentalist of the year!

there's more than one way of saving the animals (and the planet!), and being vegetarian or vegan is just a tiny part of it.

agreed fully as well :) a little bit of a difference is still a difference
  • kittytompsett
    Options
    My wife is a vegetarian since she was 7... and she's 29 now. It wasn't a healthy thing for her, it was an animal thing. I suppose it all depends on how picky you're going to be. For instance, every time we go to a restaurant, I ask if the beans are cooked in chicken broth, if any lard is used, if chicken (or other animal) broth is used in sauces, etc.

That said, its been an interesting experience in that I'm the cook, we eat dinner together every night, and we have the same meals... just that, at times, mine has meat when hers doesn't. And trust me, chicken close to her dish is not tolerable :). Anyways, I have TONS of stuff you can do to ease yourself into it if you ever have any questions. Add me if you'd like.

Oh, my one tip: Go out and buy Quorn products. In my humble opinion, they're the best meat replacement thing out there that I even eat at times. You'll be surprised by what you can find.

Wow, your wife sounds exactly the same as me! My husband also cooks and just adds meat to his meals. I can't say if being veggie is easy or not coz I don't remember ever eating meat (I know I did when I was little)

I also agree about Quorn, adds bulk to meals and is so low fat too, some of my non veggie friends who are trying to loose weight are replacing some meat with Quorn because of the low cals :)

Good luck hun xx
  • BlissfulYoga
    BlissfulYoga Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    A great, healthy food blog to follow is ohsheglows.com
    I love Oh She Glows! It's on my list of top blogs! :smile:

Hi everyone! I'm vegan and happy to have more veg friends! I don't have the perfect diet but am constantly trying to keep things well-balanced and varied, and am always willing to try new things. Unless they involve lima beans.
  • emma1488
    emma1488 Posts: 175
    Options
    Hello all,

I went vegetarian last September (2010). Then after realising what happens in the dairy industry, decided to go vegan in January/February this year (2011).

Vegetarianism was so easy for me. Though I am struggling a little bit with veganism. Only because when I got out for dinner, or get take away, I end up with hot chips...which is why I've come back to MFP to try and lose some weight.

I've also been quite lethargic of late and am really hoping its not to do with my diet.

I'm looking for vegan/vegetarian friends who can help keep me motivate. So please add me :D
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am also transitioning into a plant based, whole food diet as described by Dr. McDougall and the book, The China Study. I would like to make vegan mfp friends so I can gleen your food choices please!

I learned to stay away from fat as well as sugar (fructose, glucose, sucrose and their variations) and to stick with starchy foods for energy and veggies for nutrients.

I learned that fat is fat and so olive oil and nuts (almonds, sunflower seeds), avocados are artery blockers so eat them sparingly and to suppress hunger between meals (it has a ton of fat from calories, look it up http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3085/2 and http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/509/2 and http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1843/2).

I learned that soy protein has insulin growth factor 1, twice more than milk protein so avoid those soy burgers--get your protein through beans and other non-soy products (fermented soy is fine).

I wish you good health.
  • Sallerina84
    Options
    Hello all,

I went vegetarian last September (2010). Then after realising what happens in the dairy industry, decided to go vegan in January/February this year (2011).

Vegetarianism was so easy for me. Though I am struggling a little bit with veganism. Only because when I got out for dinner, or get take away, I end up with hot chips...which is why I've come back to MFP to try and lose some weight.

I've also been quite lethargic of late and am really hoping its not to do with my diet.

I'm looking for vegan/vegetarian friends who can help keep me motivate. So please add me :D

That's what I would find so difficult too about becoming Vegan....eating out! Every vegetarian dish in pubs is full of cheese! So i don't know how vegans can eat out!!! As it's becoming a more popular lifestyle choice I think pubs/restaurants should have at least one vegan option...much like they did when vegetarianism first started becoming more popular...and now you usually get at least 3 veggie options.

xx